Interesting indeed!!

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
"Peace Is Not the Answer"

That's the title of William Shawcross's excellent op-ed in today's Los Angeles Times. Shawcross writes:

IT SEEMS UNLIKELY that many of the so-called peace marchers who trooped through Washington and London two weekends back listened on Thursday — at least not with an open mind or sympathy — to George Bush's cogent explanation of why coalition troops are fighting and dying in Iraq.
You did not see in those demonstrations, after all, many banners reading, "Support Iraq's New Constitution," "No to Jihad" or "Stop Suicide Bombers." The crimes committed daily against the Iraqi people by other Arabs who wish to re-enslave them seem to be of little interest to Michael Moore, Jane Fonda and their followers. Rage against the daily assaults on children, women, anyone, by Islamo-fascists and ordinary national fascists is not fashionable. Only alleged American crimes are cool to decry.

It's hard to think of a more graphic illustration of the horror the U.S.-led coalition is fighting in Iraq than the mass murder on Sept. 26, in which terrorists disguised as policemen (a New York Times headline called these butchers "fighters") burst into a primary school in Iskandaria, south of Baghdad, seized five teachers (all Shiites) and shot them dead. Children stood weeping through this atrocity.

I don't pretend to understand how liberals think, but I guess that's different, somehow. No need to demonstrate against mass sadism. Shawcross concludes:

It is the promise of freedom that the fascists who murdered the Iraqi teachers last month want to destroy. It is astonishing and discouraging that those who think they were taking the high ground in marching though Washington do not understand this.
As I've said before, I can understand cowardice, and I can also understand political opportunism. But we are living in a strange world when cynical opportunism can masquerade as moral superiority, and get away with it.

Anyone going to those protests is either:

A) Pro-war, but for the other side.

or

B) A cool, trendy college kid who doesn't really know what he's talking about but who just can't wait to brag to his friends about how he Spoke Truth To Power.

or

C) An idealistic buffoon who thinks if Bush and bin Laden hold hands and have a sing-along then everything will be alright. And Communism works, but the USSR, China and North Korea aren't "real Communism". Cuba's cool though. They can all read, and there's free healthcare; so when you get the summons to go to the police HQ, you can read it yourself and not have to ask the neighbor what that big word is, and you can have your jaw wired for free afterwards.

Forum List

Back