Interesting election antics in Kansas

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
map.jpg

On Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014, Democratic senatorial nominee Chad Taylor withdrew from the 2014 Kansas Senatorial race. Until now, it had been a 3-man race between Taylor (D), incumbent Senator Pat Roberts (R) and Independent candidate Greg Orman.

Three-way polling showed Roberts beating both Orman and Taylor in a 3-way race, but losing in a 2-way race.

According to Taylor's team, Taylor contacted the Kansas SOS directly to make sure that the wording of his withdrawal letter was acceptable:

Aaron Blake on Twitter Chad Taylor says KS SoS office explicitly told him that his letter was sufficient to remove him from ballot KSSEN http t.co PoDXklw8ZQ

The Kansas SOS told him it was.

Today, Kris Kobach, the Kansas SOS, then said that Taylor's name must stay on the ballot, because according to Kobach:

Kris Kobach Chad Taylor stays on ballot for U.S. Senate in Kansas Taylor to challenge The Kansas City Star

The Kansas Senate campaign upended again Thursday when Secretary of State Kris Kobach said Democrat Chad Taylor must remain on the ballot — less than 24 hours after Taylor filed papers to withdraw from the race.

Late Thursday, Taylor vowed to challenge that decision.

Kobach cited a 1997 Kansas statute requiring a withdrawing candidate to declare he or she is “incapable” of serving if elected. Taylor’s letter, Kobach said, referenced the law but did not contain the required language.

“The law is crystal clear here,” he told The Star. “If anyone thinks there was any political motivation, I would ask how they can possibly read the law any other way.”..

...In a statement Thursday, Taylor defended the language in his withdrawal letter. He said he specifically asked the secretary of state’s office about the proper wording and certification and drafted his message accordingly.

“Upon confirming that my letter would remove my name from the ballot, I presented identification, signed the notary ledger, and signed the letter before a secretary of state employee notarized it,” Taylor’s statement said. “My candidacy in this race was terminated yesterday.”

In a news conference, Kobach disputed Taylor’s account. Kobach said an employee in his office was questioned and at no time was Taylor told that his filing was sufficient to withdraw his candidacy...

...It isn’t clear how Kobach’s office became officially involved in the fight. Wednesday afternoon, his office pulled Taylor’s name from the list of candidates running in the state. Just hours later, it was back — as legal questions swirled around the withdrawal announcement.

GOP officials in Kansas said they did not file a formal request for a review. Instead, they submitted a “summary of argument” document claiming Taylor had not met the legal requirements for withdrawal.

Ok, so let's assume that Kris Kobach's SOS did not play the Democratic team for fools, that it was not a backhanded attempt to keep a three man race going.

In that case, even with Taylor's name on the ballot, only a small smattering of Democrats will still actually vote for him, the rest will very likely move over to Greg Orman (I). In other words, by making this big news, I suspect that Kris Kobach, who himself is locked in a tight race to hold his own position as KS-SOS, just gave Orman a lot of free publicity.

Taylor's mistake was in trusting, I assume. He should have also demanded something in writing from the KS-SOS office.

Meanwhile, Sen. Robert's team is having a hard time deciding where "home" is for him:

Despite tough primary Sen. Pat Roberts path to victory in November smoother than opponents The Wichita Eagle

During the primary Wolf attacked Roberts for living most of the year in northern Virginia. The issue is unlikely to go away as the race moves into the general election. Roberts promised Tuesday night to go on a listening tour of the state. He flew back to the Washington, D.C. area following his victory, according to his campaign manager.

“He went back home for two days or three to rest. I think he’s going to come back here the first of next week,” Towns said. “He’s going to spend most of August out here.”

Towns caught himself calling northern Virginia Roberts’ “home” and clarified.

“Home is probably not the right word in terms of the way the campaign’s been. But anyway he went back there. It’s where his family is at the moment. But he does intend to spend every moment between now and the election in Kansas, I think, that he can,” Towns said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no way to know for sure how this is going to go, but either way, it is going to help Greg Orman, I suspect. And the other thing that is for sure is that the Tea Party in Kansas does not like Senator Roberts.

• Banned
Just a little side-note.

I am not complaining about what happened. In fact, I think that Kris Kobach just did the Democratic Party the biggest favor he could do in his state.

If Taylor is forced to stay on the ballot, he can put out ads similar to Christine O'Donnell's ads from 2010 and, in 30 seconds, simply say something like:

"Hi, I'm Chad Taylor and I am not a candidate. I withdrew, but Kris Kobach wouldn't accept my withdrawal. Here are the candidates who really are still on the ballot. Please vote for one of them, but not for me. Thank you, and G-d bless America".

Or, the Democratic Party could be forced to name a successor to Taylor and since there is nothing in their platform and nothing in KS law that says they must pick a Democrat, they could be really nasty and select Sam Brownback or Kris Kobach and put their names on the ballot as a Democrat.

There are just lots of ways in which the Kansas Democratic party can turn this to their advantage in a state that has only had three Democratic Senators in all of it's history, the last one being from 1930-1939.

But no matter how you look at it, but making such a big deal out of this, Kris Kobach just did Kansas Democrats a big favor and I bet you that soon, Bill Clinton will be talking with Greg Orman. I would not be surprised to see Bill Clinton on the campaign trail in KS with Orman.

Last edited:
Seems to me that the only reason Taylor wants out is that he sees that he will lose and would prefer Orman to Roberts. Looks like manipulation to me.
If the polls are to be believed, Roberts and the SOS have every right to refuse Taylor's withdrawal.

• Banned
Sure, they can go that route, and Taylor was stupid for not wording the letter exactly to specs. I mean, he is a lawyer, he should know better.

But looking at polls should not decide law.

Oh, and everything political teams do in a campaign is manipulation of some sort or another.

Candidates are allowed to withdraw in KS, up to a certain date, and Taylor met that date. The question is whether the KS SOS played him for a fool and told him the wording of the documents was acceptable, only to turn around and then pull this stunt.

But as I already wrote in posting no. 2, either way, no matter what Kobach does as of this point in time, it is a huge gift for the Democratic party, especially against a GOP incumbent who is acting as if he wants to lose. While all this is happening, Roberts is snoozing at home - in VIRGINIA.

It may very well be a bone head move. Time will tell. Roberts may air ads saying that Taylor tried to drop out in order to manipulate the election. It could fly in a basically Conservative state.

As far as the "home" issue, Sure Roberts lives in Virginia. He works near-by for the people of Kansas.

Where does Dianne Feinstein "live" most of the year?

• Banned
It may very well be a bone head move. Time will tell. Roberts may air ads saying that Taylor tried to drop out in order to manipulate the election. It could fly in a basically Conservative state.

As far as the "home" issue, Sure Roberts lives in Virginia. He works near-by for the people of Kansas.

Yes, I agree with you that that could also be a possibility. But while Roberts and Taylor could go after each other in this way, Orman can do a Hail-Mary right down the middle, since he is well-financed.

If they can't win at the ballot box they will try and win in the courts instead.

The Dems will do everything they can to keep the Senate.

Watch for scandals, the release of sealed court documents and unfounded allegations.

The Dems will do everything they can to keep the Senate.

Watch for scandals, the release of sealed court documents and unfounded allegations.

That would just be the beginning. Expect flat out lies, blatant smear attacks too close to the election for refutation, and a Dan Blather wanna-be to "discover" that a Republican once wore white after Labor Day.

I'd say the primary reason he's dropping out is because he couldn't raise hardly any cash for the campaign at all, unlike Orman. It's really not manipulative as you think...in fact what would be manipulative is Roberts depending on a three way race to win.

Yeah right. Taylor leaves the race so he can change the projected election results and Roberts is manipulative.

God I love Liberal logic.

It's your fault I got caught robbing the bank. You shouldn't have been watching me.

Yeah right. Taylor leaves the race so he can change the projected election results and Roberts is manipulative.

It's your fault I got caught robbing the bank. You shouldn't have been watching me.

Why does Roberts need 2 nominees to divide the vote to win??? Why can't he simply win the majority of support of the people of Kansas against 1?

If Roberts wasn't intending to be manipulative then Taylor dropping out should be a totally moot point.

btw your bank analogy makes absolutely no sense in this topic...

the same could be said for the OP, starting a similar thread for one already running on the same topic .... I guess variety is in the eye of the beholder.

Just a little side-note.

I am not complaining about what happened. In fact, I think that Kris Kobach just did the Democratic Party the biggest favor he could do in his state.

If Taylor is forced to stay on the ballot, he can put out ads similar to Christine O'Donnell's ads from 2010 and, in 30 seconds, simply say something like:

"Hi, I'm Chad Taylor and I am not a candidate. I withdrew, but Kris Kobach wouldn't accept my withdrawal. Here are the candidates who really are still on the ballot. Please vote for one of them, but not for me. Thank you, and G-d bless America".

Or, the Democratic Party could be forced to name a successor to Taylor and since there is nothing in their platform and nothing in KS law that says they must pick a Democrat, they could be really nasty and select Sam Brownback or Kris Kobach and put their names on the ballot as a Democrat.

There are just lots of ways in which the Kansas Democratic party can turn this to their advantage in a state that has only had three Democratic Senators in all of it's history, the last one being from 1930-1939.

But no matter how you look at it, but making such a big deal out of this, Kris Kobach just did Kansas Democrats a big favor and I bet you that soon, Bill Clinton will be talking with Greg Orman. I would not be surprised to see Bill Clinton on the campaign trail in KS with Orman.
If you're right about Kansas Democrats possibly being forced into naming a new candidate, they could make Orman their candidate.

Why does Roberts need 2 nominees to divide the vote to win??? Why can't he simply win the majority of support of the people of Kansas against 1?

If Roberts wasn't intending to be manipulative then Taylor dropping out should be a totally moot point.

How can you place any blame on Roberts. He entered a race with 3 candidates and your typical Liberal Illogic makes it his fault that Taylor is trying to drop out.

How about Orman as the unaffiliated candidate drop out of the race? Let's suppose that that gave Taylor the advantage. Would you then still complain that Roberts is manipulative?

Of course you wouldn't get my analogy. NOTHING is ever your fault.

You get arrested, it's police harassment. You don't graduate High school, tests are biased. You have 5 kids by 5 different baby daddies and it's because Republicans won't give you free rubbers and abortions.

Christ!

How can you place any blame on Roberts. He entered a race with 3 candidates and your typical Liberal Illogic makes it his fault that Taylor is trying to drop out.

How about Orman as the unaffiliated candidate drop out of the race? Let's suppose that that gave Taylor the advantage. Would you then still complain that Roberts is manipulative?

You get arrested, it's police harassment. You don't graduate High school, tests are biased. You have 5 kids by 5 different baby daddies and it's because Republicans won't give you free rubbers and abortions.

Christ!

I never said anything about it being Roberts fault that Taylor is dropping out. I'm saying it's manipulative of Roberts to depend on dividing the vote in order to win. Why can't a sitting incumbent win a simple majority of the vote? Why is Taylor dropping out of the race even an issue at all? Shouldn't Roberts have majority support regardless of who runs for election?

Christ!

I never said anything about it being Roberts fault that Taylor is dropping out. I'm saying it's manipulative of Roberts to depend on dividing the vote in order to win. Why can't a sitting incumbent win a simple majority of the vote? Why is Taylor dropping out of the race even an issue at all? Shouldn't Roberts have majority support regardless of who runs for election?
No one said you did. You called Roberts manipulative when he had nothing to do with Taylor's decision and now mumble on about a majority.

He HAD a winning margin in a 3 man race. No, not a majority, but he had more potential votes than either opponent.

If anyone is manipulating here, it's an apparent collusion between Taylor and the Independent.

Off to work. Got a business to open.

Oh how about all 3 stay in the race and we have a run-off so that one will win with a majority?

Would THAT satisfy you?

Forum List

Back