Interesting economic view

With increasing marginal returns in computer memory (Moore's law) and capital equipment (Jonas Fisher's law) plus all forms of electronic software, how can stimulus work?

While there are high points in the article that are correct - I believe the premise that Obama didn't want an improved economy is absurd. Of course he did.
I fully trust that Obama believed his own hype. I also trust that he bought the lefts belief that it is all the Republicans fault hook, line and sinker.
Obama was self-convinced that all he had to do was show up and everything would get better because Bush isn't in office any more. He had $800bn to spend which would restart the economy and he will bask in the glory of himself.
And he still believes it. Because he does not see the economy as that bad. I do not believe this man sees the high roll-call of welfare recipients as a bad thing. I think he finds it acceptable. That we OWE them something.
Look at his recent solution to the crushing problems in America's education system - pay higher performing teachers better....:confused:
No mention of the 100,000's of dead beat teachers and firing them...hell no...the union would have his ass.
He is a typical liberal. He still believes all you have to do to fix a problem is to remove the evil Republicans, show up and throw money around and things will magically improve.
Gosh...he was wrong. Go figure.

Last edited:
We need to fund 1,000 more Solyanda's its the only way

Also I thought unemployment and food stamps stimulated the economy, isn't that what Pelosi and the Dems keep telling us?

Also I thought unemployment and food stamps stimulated the economy, isn't that what Pelosi and the Dems keep telling us?

Good point. If the Stimulus, increased gov't spending, more UE benefits and food stamps are supposed to be so good for demand, where's the fucking economic growth?

And I can't really find many holes in it...
The article actually came up with two points. One is that the left is says Obama messed up by spending $2T on pork back on '09 because it didn't work. Everyone except Obama agrees. The second point is that what he should have done is spent $4T. OK, so the author's got one out of 2 right.

Something that surprised me is that the left wing writer's saying Obama hates liberals. I suppose it would be too much to ask that the left refuse to support Obama in November.

there's no reason for 8 percent of the workforce to be unemployed 4 years after the market crashed. In a balance sheet recession--where households are forced to reduce their spending to repair their balance sheets--the government has to increase its deficits and spend more money. Everyone knows this. If the government fails to spend, the economy tanks, retail sales fall, factory output declines, jobless claims soar, consumer confidence plunges, business investment drops and the economy slips into a coma.
in a "Balance Sheet Recession", money flows into savings, without being (spent or) borrowed back into the economy ("stream of spending"). Keynesian Fiscal Stimulus can be accomplished, by Government, borrowing big for Public (Investment) projects. Fiscal Stimulus could also be accomplished, by concerted private-sector efforts. Eliminating minimum wages would decriminalize millions of low-pay jobs, regenerating thousands of investment opportunities into the businesses that would profitably hire them. Fiscal Stimulus can be accomplished, by the private sector.

if words which are factually true are perceived as "bad"; then what words are perceived as "good"? Evidently, factual truth cannot compete with "Higher Superior Causes"

Good point. If the Stimulus, increased gov't spending, more UE benefits and food stamps are supposed to be so good for demand, where's the fucking economic growth?

China, India, etc.
We are a consumer nation not a manufacturing based one.

The article actually came up with two points. One is that the left is says Obama messed up by spending $2T on pork back on '09 because it didn't work. Everyone except Obama agrees. The second point is that what he should have done is spent $4T. OK, so the author's got one out of 2 right.

Something that surprised me is that the left wing writer's saying Obama hates liberals. I suppose it would be too much to ask that the left refuse to support Obama in November.

You honestly think Obama is a liberal? He is simply the lesser of evils. Considerably less but no liberal.

China, India, etc.
We are a consumer nation not a manufacturing based one.

We used to be and could be again. Get rid of the WTO and go back to bi lateral trade agreements that used to serve us so well. Of course we would have to reign in the multinational corporations but the US market is so large no one will turn their back on it. Not China, not Mobile Exxon.;

The US is still a major manufacturing country, the biggest by most computations only automation is removing employment in that sector of the economy. Jobs in the service economy are also being automated. American taxes do not reflect that fact nor does economic policy.

The US is still a major manufacturing country, the biggest by most computations only automation is removing employment in that sector of the economy. Jobs in the service economy are also being automated. American taxes do not reflect that fact nor does economic policy.

Manufacturing used to be about 25 percent of the economy. Now it is less than 12%. Any way you slice it we have outsourced almost 15% of the economy.

You are going to have a hell of a time trying to make that a good thing.

Something that surprised me is that the left wing writer's saying Obama hates liberals. I suppose it would be too much to ask that the left refuse to support Obama in November.[/QUOT

If you are talking about the stimulus (and you can't be because you have the numbers all wrong) the size of that stimulus was 787 Billion. At the insistence of the GOP about 40% of that amount was in the form of taxcuts.

The economic multiplier for tax cuts is about .6. In other words they cannot even pay for themselves.

Get rid of the WTO and go back to bi lateral trade agreements that used to serve us so well. Of course we would have to reign in the multinational corporations ;

so then now that CA is in trouble should they use bilateral trade agreements with other nations and other states too?? Should all or states and cities for that matter use them??

Sorry but free trade works best!

Manufacturing used to be about 25 percent of the economy. Now it is less than 12%. [therefore] we have outsourced almost 15% of the economy.
Not quite -- in absolute terms, US manufacturing has increased, but much more slowly than the rest of the economy, which has "grown up around it"

Manufacturing used to be about 25 percent of the economy. Now it is less than 12%. Any way you slice it we have outsourced almost 15% of the economy.

You are going to have a hell of a time trying to make that a good thing.

Your math doesn't add up. Agriculture was about 60% of the economy in 1800, now it's less than 2% - but that's not because we're all eating so much less.

And a serious question: Why do you want us to revert to a manufacturing economy?

...Something that surprised me is that the left wing writer's saying Obama hates liberals. I suppose it would be too much to ask that the left refuse to support Obama in November.
You honestly think Obama is a liberal? He is simply the lesser of evils. Considerably less but no liberal.
Huh. I've heard that before --that Obama's somehow not liberal enough-- but didn't realize how popular it was. The position may be a realization of the fact that Obama's a lot like his mentor Saul Alinsky, someone whom people referred to as a thug first and a Marxist without the red flag second.

Granny says if the middle class gets any smaller - dey all gonna be a bunch o' munchkins...
:eek:
Study: Middle class now smaller, poorer
Aug. 23, 2012 WASHINGTON, Aug. 23 (UPI) -- For the first time since the end of World War II, the economic fortunes of American families have fallen across all levels, a nationwide survey indicates.
The past 10 years have been the most brutal for people who consider themselves middle class, the Pew Research Center reported. In a report titled "The Lost Decade of the Middle Class," Pew said an overwhelming majority of middle class adults reported it's much harder now to maintain their standard of living. They think they know who's to blame, too. Of the nationally representative 1,287 adults surveyed, 62 percent put "a lot" of the blame on Congress while 54 percent pointed the finger at banks and financial institutions and 47 percent said large corporations. The Bush administration was blamed by 44 percent of those asked while only 34 percent blamed the Obama administration.

The middle class itself has shrunk, Pew said, with its members either moving up to higher income levels or falling back. In 2011, 51 percent of adults were middle class, a drop of 10 percent from 40 years ago. Upper-income families rose to 20 percent of adults, a 6-point increase from 1971. Lower-income families grew to 29 percent from 25 percent. Four in 10 middle class adults, 42 percent, said they were in worse financial shape than before the recession while 32 percent said they were better off. While the media income of middle class families fell 5 percent, their wealth as measured by assets minus debt slumped 28 percent, from $129,582 to $93,150. At the same time, the median wealth of upper income families rose 1 percent.

Those surveyed said a second-term President Obama would do a better job at helping the middle class than his Republican opponent Mitt Romney, 52 percent versus 42 percent. Romney's policies would help the wealthy more, 71 percent of the middle respondents said, while 62 percent said Obama's policies would help the poor more. Middle class families are defined as those living in households with an annual income that is 67 percent to 200 percent of the national median. The survey was conducted July 16-26 and has a margin of error of 2.8 percentage points.

Source

While there are high points in the article that are correct - I believe the premise that Obama didn't want an improved economy is absurd. Of course he did.
I fully trust that Obama believed his own hype. I also trust that he bought the lefts belief that it is all the Republicans fault hook, line and sinker.
Obama was self-convinced that all he had to do was show up and everything would get better because Bush isn't in office any more. He had $800bn to spend which would restart the economy and he will bask in the glory of himself.
And he still believes it. Because he does not see the economy as that bad. I do not believe this man sees the high roll-call of welfare recipients as a bad thing. I think he finds it acceptable. That we OWE them something.
Look at his recent solution to the crushing problems in America's education system - pay higher performing teachers better....:confused:
No mention of the 100,000's of dead beat teachers and firing them...hell no...the union would have his ass.
He is a typical liberal. He still believes all you have to do to fix a problem is to remove the evil Republicans, show up and throw money around and things will magically improve.
Gosh...he was wrong. Go figure.

And I fully trust Romney believes his own hype which is precisely why he won't be able to better the economy. So, for me, there is no reason to elect him--that coupled with his stances on women's rights and several social issues.

Florida Obama 49 Romney 46
Ohio 50 44
Virginia 50 45
Colorado 49 46
Nevada 49 45
Wisconsin 50 45
MI 44 47
PA 48 42​

Forum List

Back