Interesting Dilema

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by RetiredGySgt, Jul 16, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    I think this person has a case. Will have to see how the courts rule.

Basicly "she" claimed sex change operation as tax deductible and 2 years later the IRS said "she" couldn't because they consider it cosmetic.

Since "she" has licensed medical doctors and accepted medical conditions on her side, I would think she should win the case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070716/ap_on_re_us/irs_sex_change

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I worked for a health insurance company. There are many times in which we would call for proof of medical necessity. There are rules that state that when a woman has a radical mastectomy due to breast cancer, she would be covered for surgery to promote breast bilateral symmetry. There is always a debate over whether a procedure is cosmetic or necessary (per psychological reasons). I guess that I lean to the cold-hearted side. I’m no psychologist but in my opinion, to not have transgender surgery is not as life threatening as not to have an emergency appendectomy.

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    What if the gender-reassignment surgery was necessary for continuing mental health of the person? For example, if they were contemplating suicide due to their condition? Should that then be considered necessary?

4. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    Well not sure that is cold hearted. It does however ignore the potentially real problems of Psychology , and your not alone in that regard. If one can provide MEDICAL evidence that a procedure was needed for reasons other than just cosmetic then they have grounds to argue neccassity.

It is in fact reasonable to question medical procedures that are not directly related to a form of easily identifiable life or death, the problem is that there are other procedures allowed that have to do with non life threatening conditions.

It is a reasonable assumption that the doctors that recommended and approved the operations thought it critically necasssary for the health and well being of this individual.

Psychology is the redheaded step child of medicine. And it doesn't help the branch that quacks, fakes and charlatens use it to steal or leach. But it is a valid House of medical practice. Because one can not "see" or "touch" mental problems usually they are dismissed by many. ( not accusing you of that) Like I said this will be interesting to see what happens.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    But suicide is voluntary. I think the whole "sex change" surgery business is absurd. God doesn't make mistakes that big. Besides, nobody can be changed from a man into a woman, and vice versa --- you're just carving up parts and playing with hormones like a Mr. (Mrs.) Potato Head. Sick.

6. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I have to agree. I understand that someone can be deranged and suicidal. But there are other treatments for it. A sex change is simply putting lipstick on a pig.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    I am not so certain. Nor am I as certain any more that all homosexuals are by choice or taught. I suspect a large number of supposed Homosexuals are not really clinically wired that way, BUT I also believe now that it is possible that at least some are in fact wired that way.

As to sexual Identity, I am not willing to simply dismiss licensed DOCTORS , and in growing numbers, as simply letting emotions cloud their judgement or medical expertise.

An argument can be made that such an exemption as claimed should be denied UNLESS medical evidence is provided to substantiate the NEED. Currently the law is no matter the evidence it is disapproved. We shall see what a court rules on that.

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233

I am loving saying this ...I totally agree with you.

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397

Suicide is voluntary, but is it desirable that it be avoided if possible as a solution to a problem that can be remedied without taking one's life?

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
    Remember who posted that. A white racist, I am sure Homo's and those with sexual identities wrong are on his list of lesser beings also.