Interesting Defense: It Can't be Offensive, It's From The Koran

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-2001006,00.html
The Times January 20, 2006

'Offensive' remarks taken straight from Koran, defence says
By Sean O’Neill

COPIES of the Koran were handed to the jurors in the Abu Hamza trial yesterday as his defence argued that some of the cleric’s “offensive” statements were drawn directly from Islam’s holy book.

Edward Fitzgerald, QC, for the defence, said that Abu Hamza’s interpretation of the Koran was that it imposed an obligation on Muslims to do jihad and fight in the defence of their religion. He said that the Crown case against the former imam of Finsbury Park Mosque was “simplistic in the extreme”.

He added: “It is said he was preaching murder, but he was actually preaching from the Koran itself.”

Mr Fitzgerald cited two verses of the book that Abu Hamza would rely on, among many others, as theological justification for the words that had led to him being charged. They were Chapter 2, verse 216 and Chapter 9, verse 111. He said that all the great monotheistic religions had scriptures that contained “the language of blood and retribution”.

Abu Hamza’s remarks, which the prosecution alleges amount to an attempt to stir up racial hatred against the Jewish people, were, Mr Fitzgerald said, a reference to the Hadith — sayings of the Prophet Muhammad — in which fighting between Jews and Muslims is predicted.

The Hadith says that the trees will call out to the Muslims “there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him”.

The defence counsel said this was “a highly unusual case” because unlike most prosecutions for incitement to murder it did not involve someone telling a specific person to kill an identifiable individual.

Abu Hamza’s sermons had to be viewed in context, coinciding with conflicts in Afghanistan, Algeria, Bosnia, Kosovo and the Palestinian territories. Mr Fitzgerald said that the West had initially been on the side of the Mujahidin in Afghanistan when they were fighting the Soviet Union army. There had even been a James Bond film, The Living Daylights, in which 007 fought alongside the Mujahidin.

He added: “Mr Hamza has said things that most people will find deeply offensive and hateful. But he is not on trial for describing England as a toilet. There is no crime of simply being offensive.”

GunnyL said:
Now how come it is that if "we" say the Koran preaches murder, every Muslim and apoligista with a PC comes out of the woodwork saying we're wrong?

:laugh: Print the column out and keep it in your pocket.

Glad to see that the USA is not the only place with whacko defence attorneys. Too old to die my ass.

What bugs me about this is that the fact that this guy was told to do it by the Koran is a valid defense, but just preaching against homosexuality is hate speech, though it is clearly printed in the Bible.

Hobbit said:
What bugs me about this is that the fact that this guy was told to do it by the Koran is a valid defense, but just preaching against homosexuality is hate speech, though it is clearly printed in the Bible.
So Hobbit,do you think the Bible tells one to go kill gays? Where? The Koran says, kill infidels. You wish to equate?

Kathianne said:
So Hobbit,do you think the Bible tells one to go kill gays? Where? The Koran says, kill infidels. You wish to equate?

You misunderstand. I've heard cases where people were prosecuted for saying, from a church pulpit, that homosexuality is a sin. The fact that the Bible says it was not allowed as a defense, so they were, of course, convicted. This guy f-ing kills people, but the fact that the Koran tells him to is allowed as a defense. It's sickening.

Hobbit said:
You misunderstand. I've heard cases where people were prosecuted for saying, from a church pulpit, that homosexuality is a sin. The fact that the Bible says it was not allowed as a defense, so they were, of course, convicted. This guy f-ing kills people, but the fact that the Koran tells him to is allowed as a defense. It's sickening.

Hobbit's right... a Scandinavian country recently put this to the test, and I think withdrew. Still, that's way scary stuff: for simply preaching pure Christian teaching on homosexuality, this preacher was set to be tried and convicted in a court of law for HATE CRIMES.

Unfortunately, in the UK, as the BNP trial shows, you can be tried for simply speaking your mind about things.

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=264782

Yet what's positively revolting is that the Bible is no defense, but apparently, the Koran is. The West is committing suicide, folks. It doesn't need Muslim terrorists. It's doing a fine job on its own.

Forum List

Back