Interesting conversation with my 8 year old on politics

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
I had the most interesting conversation with my 8 year old son today. I had picked him up early from school to go to the dentist, and on the way we were going to the republican headquarters to pick up tickets for the republican convention on sunday.

Well he asked me, mom what's the diffrence between republicans and democrats? I said well republicans are against gay marriage and democrats are for it, to which he responded oh that's gross! I then told him republican's are against abortion and democrats are for abortion, I then asked if he knew what an abortion was? he said no, so I told him it is when a women gets pregnant and goes to the doctor, and the doctor takes the baby out and kills it, he then responded with, why would someone do that? I said some women do not want to have babies, he said loudly THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE GOT PREGNANT IN THE FIRST PLACE. My thoughts exactly.

He then asks how come I am not allowed to vote? which I proceed to tell him because you are to young you don't know much about the issues, and then it hit me, why the hell not? why can't he vote? he probably knows more about the issues then most of the adults that will be voting on election day! It is sad when an 8 year old knows more about what is going on in the world then the adults in the same world.

and to think I had no idea I had an 8 year old republican on my hands.

Interesting enough you should explain some of difference in cases of abortion. I don't believe abortion should be legal to just anyone. Only in extreme cases such as rape or incest. Accutually I would wait sometime to explain that. Don't get me wrong I accutually support Bush in this one, because Kerry would kill our soldiers quicker by thining em' out in Iraq. Yet don't force your political views on your child my father did that and I now resent him for it now, and have the oppsite views now. Not sayin you were but I would let him make his own decsions as he grows up.

wolvie20m said:
Interesting enough you should explain some of difference in cases of abortion. I don't believe abortion should be legal to just anyone. Only in extreme cases such as rape or incest. Accutually I would wait sometime to explain that. Don't get me wrong I accutually support Bush in this one, because Kerry would kill our soldiers quicker by thining em' out in Iraq. Yet don't force your political views on your child my father did that and I now resent him for it now, and have the oppsite views now. Not sayin you were but I would let him make his own decsions as he grows up.

Actually I try to explain both sides to him, I am an independent conservative, so I try to be fair, and not partial to anything, to let him form his own opinions on things. He just blew me away in the car with his opinions I was shocked that he knew as much as he did, I guess he really does pay attention to what is being said. They say kid's don't listen, they do if you talk to them!

wolvie20m said:

Your children grow up with the values you teach them. If you teach them that abortion is wrong, and they happen to get someone pregnant, they're more likely to take responsibility for it, rather than telling the girl to get an abortion. If you teach them that abortion is fine, they're probably going to make for very irresponsible teenagers, because there are no consequences. "Oops. It was an accident - quick, get rid of it. Here's $500."

Personally, I'd rather see an 8 year old potential Republican, than a 35 year old Democrap.

I also don't see where he was forcing his views on his child - in fact, it seems to me like they had a pretty enlightening conversation, and each walking away with knowledge they didn't possess before.

I was 10 when Bush Sr. ran against Dukakis. In my fifth grade class we had a campaign and election for President. I ran the Dukakis campaign, but the most popular kid in class ran the Bush campaign so we lost. Losing sucked, but it got me into politics. In fact, that really popular kid had me run his campaign for student council president against another very popular kid and we kicked ass.

I argued politics with my father then and still do now. He's much more conservative than I am. My father, both my parents, encouraged my interest in politics. We talked about politics at the dinner table. They taught me to make my own decisions.

acludem

khafley said:

Yeah - well enjoy it while you can. Odds are when he turns 13 he'll turn into a liberal until he's 30-something. Unless he takes a liking to a girl who is a Republican. That's your only hope. Screen his dates.

acludem said:
I argued politics with my father then and still do now. He's much more conservative than I am.
acludem

Well that's a pretty safe bet. Hell, Rosie O'Donnel is more conservative than you.

:funnyface

Nah...I'm not as far left at Rosie. C'mon, couldn't you at least lump me in with someone attractive, say Susan Sarandon? :beer:

acludem

acludem said:
Nah...I'm not as far left at Rosie. C'mon, couldn't you at least lump me in with someone attractive, say Susan Sarandon? :beer:

acludem

nope. no one is really attractive on the left ;)

Shattered said:
Personally, I'd rather see an 8 year old potential Republican, than a 35 year old Democrap.

I also don't see where he was forcing his views on his child - in fact, it seems to me like they had a pretty enlightening conversation, and each walking away with knowledge they didn't possess before.

Well if you read I saw she wasn't, I just gave her some advice on it. Politics is a powerful force. I just gave her a example of where it could lead. Also I said abortion is wrong with the exception of extreme cases. I just don't want to see families get torn apart like mine because of it.

Merlin1047 said:
Yeah - well enjoy it while you can. Odds are when he turns 13 he'll turn into a liberal until he's 30-something. Unless he takes a liking to a girl who is a Republican. That's your only hope. Screen his dates.

DATES! :eek2: He's not even allowed to date until he's 30, we've already had this conversation school, college, job, then he can date. He;s ok with it right now however once those hormones kick in we may have a problem!! :teeth:

I think I need to have a talk with my 6 year old son as well. He came into my room last night and I was watching the news, they were talking about Kerry and had up one of his conventions with people cheering and holding Kerry signs, my 6 year old looked at the tv and said Oh Great! I guess Kerry won. I said OH no no no He didn't win that's a convention the elections not till Tuesday. He said Oh ok good.

I had the most interesting conversation with my 8 year old son today. I had picked him up early from school to go to the dentist, and on the way we were going to the republican headquarters to pick up tickets for the republican convention on sunday.

Well he asked me, mom what's the diffrence between republicans and democrats? I said well republicans are against gay marriage and democrats are for it, to which he responded oh that's gross! I then told him republican's are against abortion and democrats are for abortion, I then asked if he knew what an abortion was? he said no, so I told him it is when a women gets pregnant and goes to the doctor, and the doctor takes the baby out and kills it, he then responded with, why would someone do that? I said some women do not want to have babies, he said loudly THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE GOT PREGNANT IN THE FIRST PLACE. My thoughts exactly.

He then asks how come I am not allowed to vote? which I proceed to tell him because you are to young you don't know much about the issues, and then it hit me, why the hell not? why can't he vote? he probably knows more about the issues then most of the adults that will be voting on election day! It is sad when an 8 year old knows more about what is going on in the world then the adults in the same world.

>>Fast-Forward>>.....to his......

532.gif

Forum List

Back