Interesting Comparison: Reactions to Obama and Bush

I wasn't a fly on the wall but the video gives you a pretty candid look at the happenings in the classroom.

Do you know for a fact that a security team was signaling him or did you just throw that in there?

Since I wasn't there you will notice I stated "could have". We can draw all kinds of conclusions based on what we see and what we don't see. My issue is all someone has to do is mention the name of Bush or Obama and all reason leaves the room replaced by partisan supposition and derision.

I hear ya but if you look close enough you can see that there are several ppl here that have merely given their own rational opinion of how the situation was handled and not turned it into a partisan mess.

Yeah there were only 2, maybe 3 people who acted like partisans over it. Everyone else made great posts.

I wasn't a fly on the wall but the video gives you a pretty candid look at the happenings in the classroom.

Do you know for a fact that a security team was signaling him or did you just throw that in there?

Since I wasn't there you will notice I stated "could have". We can draw all kinds of conclusions based on what we see and what we don't see. My issue is all someone has to do is mention the name of Bush or Obama and all reason leaves the room replaced by partisan supposition and derision.

I hear ya but if you look close enough you can see that there are several ppl here that have merely given their own rational opinion of how the situation was handled and not turned it into a partisan mess.

A rational opinion is still nothing more than an opinion almost always based on ones own personal paradigm. It doesn't necessitate true deduction based on all available facts.

A rational opinion is still nothing more than an opinion almost always based on ones own personal paradigm. It doesn't necessitate true deduction based on all available facts.

Of course.

Not seeing how you are comparing the two events.

But yes, they both should have burst into tears, pulled out their hair and acted like the world was coming to an end.

I'm comparing how people reacted to both presidents (EDIT, to clarify since it has gone over some of your heads....i'm not comparing the events themselves but the reactions to the presidents)

Bush got crap for not seeming like he was concerned enough in front of the schoolkids. Obama is getting crap for not seeming like he cared enough yesterday.

Making sense now my little cheeze ravioli :)?

WOW, this has to be a joke right? Bush should have more than criticized; he should have been impeached!

The Commander in Chief of the armed services on the United States of America was informed by his Chief of Staff that "America IS UNDER ATTACK"... he DID nothing...NOTHING...

It isn't about Bush "not seeming like he was concerned enough" It's about his FAILURE to carry out his duty, responsibility and obligation AS Commander in Chief of the armed services on the United States of America...

BFGRN what do you think about people's reactions to both instances? This is what i'm asking about. I added my response to ravi just in case you still dont understand what I am discussing.

Last edited:
How about after Andy Card whispers in his ear taking a moment to gather himself to lose the rubbery feeling he had to have in his legs (he's human), then telling the kids, "I'm sorry but there is something that requires my immediate attention," leave someone behind, and then get to work?

Which is exactly what he did! He gave himself 5 minutes to collect himself then got up and left. UNLIKE Obama who waited HOURS before even opening his mouth and THEN to have the arrogance to do it in the manner of which he did. IMO the "previously planned" event should have been cancelled! People died! People who had the bad luck of doing nothing but going about their JOBS. I'm pretty damn sure the Tribal Council would have understood completely if he'd called them and told them that under the circumstances he was not going to be speaking at their little event. IMO the people who survived this attack and the families of those that didn't SHOULD HAVE COME FIRST. NOT a "previously planned event".

Do some of you not see the hypocrisy of your words. You're lamblasting Bush for waiting 5 MINUTES before reacting to what was whispered in his ear but not saying a single word about Obama waiting HOURS before even speaking about what happened and only then after he got his "shout out" to his buds.

Sorry, even the most devoted Obamabot should feel some consternation over how he handled this. The rest of you may not see this as an attack on our country, but I do. This sicko attacked the very people who devote their lives to taking care of this country in effect attacking the entire country. Personally, I think it sux that Obama basically made it appear that his "previously planned" speaking engagement was a bit more important than the victims of the Ft Hood shooter. I know if it was one of my family members that died I would have expected that myself and the rest of those involved would have taken precedence over a freakin speaking engagement!!!

Now, that said, my feelings about how I'm seeing people react to this situation and how it was handled has been a mixture of stunned silence and literally being sick to my stomach. And yes, most of the responses are very Partisan. You have those that are going to defend Obama regardless, those that at the time defended Bush, those that are going to condemn Obama for how he responded, and those that are STILL to this day condemning Bush for how he responded when he heard the news. Trying to compare the two is useless. It's two totally different scenarios. I have very strong feelings about the way that BOTH Presidents responded to the crisis they faced early in their Presidency. There were things Bush could have maybe done differently and there are things that Obama could have maybe done differently. I think you'd be hard pressed right now to get a totally non partisan reaction right now. Should Bush have jumped up in full panic mode and scaring the pants off all those kids? Absolutely NOT. Should Obama have cancelled the Tribal Council speaking engagement? Absolutely YES. Someone said Bush disappeared for 12 hours. No he didn't! Anyone that knows how things work should know that he was where ANY President would have been. That secret safe location that they have for sitting Presidents in situations like that. To fault him for it is ludacris. I would be willing to bet if it had been a President with any other name it wouldn't be an issue at all. It's just, IMO, another way to bash Bush. Forget the fact that what was done was a policy that's been in place for more years than you can shake a stick at, it's just another way to bash Bush. Not everyone is going to be 100% satisfied in the reaction or the reaction time or the response given to what happened at Ft Hood. NOW, it's time to deal with the victims and the families of those that didn't make it.

Last edited:
How about after Andy Card whispers in his ear taking a moment to gather himself to lose the rubbery feeling he had to have in his legs (he's human), then telling the kids, "I'm sorry but there is something that requires my immediate attention," leave someone behind, and then get to work?

Which is exactly what he did! He gave himself 5 minutes to collect himself then got up and left. UNLIKE Obama who waited HOURS before even opening his mouth and THEN to have the arrogance to do it in the manner of which he did. IMO the "previously planned" event should have been cancelled! People died! People who had the bad luck of doing nothing but going about their JOBS. I'm pretty damn sure the Tribal Council would have understood completely if he'd called them and told them that under the circumstances he was not going to be speaking at their little event. IMO the people who survived this attack and the families of those that didn't SHOULD HAVE COME FIRST. NOT a "previously planned event".

Do some of you not see the hypocrisy of your words. You're lamblasting Bush for waiting 5 MINUTES before reacting to what was whispered in his ear but not saying a single word about Obama waiting HOURS before even speaking about what happened and only then after he got his "shout out" to his buds.

Sorry, even the most devoted Obamabot should feel some consternation over how he handled this. The rest of you may not see this as an attack on our country, but I do. This sicko attacked the very people who devote their lives to taking care of this country in effect attacking the entire country. Personally, I think it sux that Obama basically made it appear that his "previously planned" speaking engagement was a bit more important than the victims of the Ft Hood shooter. I know if it was one of my family members that died I would have expected that myself and the rest of those involved would have taken precedence over a freakin speaking engagement!!!

Now, that said, my feelings about how I'm seeing people react to this situation and how it was handled has been a mixture of stunned silence and literally being sick to my stomach. And yes, most of the responses are very Partisan. You have those that are going to defend Obama regardless, those that at the time defended Bush, those that are going to condemn Obama for how he responded, and those that are STILL to this day condemning Bush for how he responded when he heard the news. Trying to compare the two is useless. It's two totally different scenarios. I have very strong feelings about the way that BOTH Presidents responded to the crisis they faced early in their Presidency. There were things Bush could have maybe done differently and there are things that Obama could have maybe done differently. I think you'd be hard pressed right now to get a totally non partisan reaction right now. Should Bush have jumped up in full panic mode and scaring the pants off all those kids? Absolutely NOT. Should Obama have cancelled the Tribal Council speaking engagement? Absolutely YES. Someone said Bush disappeared for 12 hours. No he didn't! Anyone that knows how things work should know that he was where ANY President would have been. That secret safe location that they have for sitting Presidents in situations like that. To fault him for it is ludacris. I would be willing to bet if it had been a President with any other name it wouldn't be an issue at all. It's just, IMO, another way to bash Bush. Forget the fact that what was done was a policy that's been in place for more years than you can shake a stick at, it's just another way to bash Bush. Not everyone is going to be 100% satisfied in the reaction or the reaction time or the response given to what happened at Ft Hood. NOW, it's time to deal with the victims and the families of those that didn't make it.

Well Spoken...KUDOS!

He gave himself 5 minutes to collect himself then got up and left. UNLIKE Obama who waited HOURS before even opening his mouth and THEN to have the arrogance to do it in the manner of which he did.

In a nutshell. :clap2:

Actually he was at his commander in chief post aboard Air Force One. They were the only plane flying in the skies over America.. They landed briefly to refuel at several AF bases.. Moffett in Nebraska (?) being one of them. They went back to DC in the evening of 9-11.

Willow....exactly. The point is..he was NOT "in hiding" as one poster tried to make it appear. He was being kept safe as ANY President would have been. Either in the air aboard Air Force One or in the bunker, where ever it is.

Not seeing how you are comparing the two events.

But yes, they both should have burst into tears, pulled out their hair and acted like the world was coming to an end.

I'm comparing how people reacted to both presidents (EDIT, to clarify since it has gone over some of your heads....i'm not comparing the events themselves but the reactions to the presidents)

Bush got crap for not seeming like he was concerned enough in front of the schoolkids. Obama is getting crap for not seeming like he cared enough yesterday.

Making sense now my little cheeze ravioli :)?

WOW, this has to be a joke right? Bush should have more than criticized; he should have been impeached!

The Commander in Chief of the armed services on the United States of America was informed by his Chief of Staff that "America IS UNDER ATTACK"... he DID nothing...NOTHING...

It isn't about Bush "not seeming like he was concerned enough" It's about his FAILURE to carry out his duty, responsibility and obligation AS Commander in Chief of the armed services on the United States of America...

BFGRN what do you think about people's reactions to both instances? This is what i'm asking about. I added my response to ravi just in case you still dont understand what I am discussing.

HELLO...is anyone home? I completely understand your premise PLYMCO_PILGRIM. Do YOU understand that your premise is completely flawed?

You are asking: How should the citizens react when their president seems insensitive vs. How should the citizens react when their president proves he is incompetent, unfit to lead and paralyzed in a crisis?

Maybe Lee Iacocca can explain it to you...

Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, "Stay the course."

Stay the course? You've got to be kidding. This is America, not the damned Titanic. I'll give you a sound bite: Throw the bums out!

THE TEST OF A LEADER
I've never been Commander in Chief, but I've been a CEO. I understand a few things about leadership at the top. I've figured out nine points -- not ten (I don't want people accusing me of thinking I'm Moses). I call them the "Nine Cs of Leadership." They're not fancy or complicated. Just clear, obvious qualities that every true leader should have. We should look at how the current administration stacks up. Like it or not, this crew is going to be around until January 2009. Maybe we can learn something before we go to the polls in 2008. Then let's be sure we use the leadership test to screen the candidates who say they want to run the country. It's up to us to choose wisely.

So, here's my C list:
A leader has to show CURIOSITY
A leader has to be CREATIVE
A leader has to COMMUNICATE
A leader has to be a person of CHARACTER
A leader must have COURAGE
To be a leader you've got to have CONVICTION
A leader should have CHARISMA
A leader has to be COMPETENT
You can't be a leader if you don't have COMMON SENSE
THE BIGGEST C IS CRISIS

Leaders are made, not born. Leadership is forged in times of crisis. It's easy to sit there with your feet up on the desk and talk theory. Or send someone else's kids off to war when you've never seen a battlefield yourself. It's another thing to lead when your world comes tumbling down.

On September 11, 2001, we needed a strong leader more than any other time in our history. We needed a steady hand to guide us out of the ashes. Where was George Bush? He was reading a story about a pet goat to kids in Florida when he heard about the attacks. He kept sitting there for twenty minutes with a baffled look on his face. It's all on tape. You can see it for yourself. Then, instead of taking the quickest route back to Washington and immediately going on the air to reassure the panicked people of this country, he decided it wasn't safe to return to the White House. He basically went into hiding for the day -- and he told Vice President Dick Cheney to stay put in his bunker. We were all frozen in front of our TVs, scared out of our wits, waiting for our leaders to tell us that we were going to be okay, and there was nobody home. It took Bush a couple of days to get his bearings and devise the right photo op at Ground Zero.

That was George Bush's moment of truth, and he was paralyzed. And what did he do when he'd regained his composure? He led us down the road to Iraq -- a road his own father had considered disastrous when he was President. But Bush didn't listen to Daddy. He listened to a higher father. He prides himself on being faith based, not reality based. If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will.

Excerpt from Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca - Leadershop @ LeadershipNow.com

So BFGRN, again, let me ask you?

What do you think about PEOPLES responses to BOTH situations.

I see what YOU think about peoples response to bush's, you agree with those who didn't approve of bush's response to tragic news, I got that already.

You have yet to tell me your opinion on people's response to obama, this puts your partisanship on full display. Or are you so partisan you can't get past the desire to thrash Bush long enough to give your opinion on the way Obama has been criticized by some?

I do commend you for a detailed post though, even if your premise that Bush's response showed him to be completely incompetent is flawed.

Good Post too NCarolinaDixie

Last edited:

I see what YOU think about peoples response to bush's, you agree with those who didn't approve of bush's response to tragic news, I got that already.

You have yet to tell me your opinion on people's response to obama, this puts your partisanship on full display. Or are you so partisan you can't get past the desire to thrash Bush long enough to give your opinion on the way Obama has been criticized by some?

I do commend you for a detailed post though, even if your premise that Bush's response showed him to be completely incompetent is flawed.

Let me ask you a question on partisanship, honesty and ethics Pilgrim...was it YOUR idea to make this Bush/Obama comparison, or did you get the idea from the partisan pundits? Is it just a coincidence that Linda Chavez of Commentary Magazine, the flagship of neoconservatism and National Review's Jonah Goldberg (Liberal fascism infamy) or Hot Air's Ed Morrissey ALL made the same comparison???

Pea brains think a like I guess...

I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.
Harry S. Truman

Let me ask you a question on partisanship, honesty and ethics Pilgrim...was it YOUR idea to make this Bush/Obama comparison, or did you get the idea from the partisan pundits? Is it just a coincidence that Linda Chavez of Commentary Magazine, the flagship of neoconservatism and National Review's Jonah Goldberg (Liberal fascism infamy) or Hot Air's Ed Morrissey ALL made the same comparison???

Harry S. Truman

Good way to avoid the question you partsian hack.

It isn't a coincidence at all, when people see unfair reactions to a president it reminds them of previous unfair reactions to that same or previous presidents.

The truth is you know you're wrong and your partisanship wont let you admit it, Just like RAVIoli. Its fine at least I know not to take either one of you two serious.

Harry S. Truman

It isn't a coincidence at all, when people see unfair reactions to a president it reminds them of previous unfair reactions to that same or previous presidents.

The truth is you know you're wrong and your partisanship wont let you admit it, Just like RAVIoli. Its fine at least I know not to take either one of you two serious.

I'm the partisan hack? WOW..."when people see unfair reactions"...you MEAN when partisan HACKS see an opportunity to smear the president? And we should take you seriously? You are a piece of work...

I'll to be happy to give my reaction, now that I've exposed the fact you are a parrot for partisan hacks that operate every day with the sole intent of slandering the president, Democrats or liberals...

In the case of Bush's failure as Commander in Chief, people should have been outraged like I was and like Lee Iacocca was...

In the case of Obama, he could have reversed his message, but I thought his response to the shootings was genuine and appropriate...

But here's the rub...

If he had reversed his message, the SAME right wing pundits would have still criticized him for his conference comments sharing the stage...

If he had addressed the conference and then had a separate address on the shootings, the SAME right wing pundits would have still criticized him for not mentioning it in the conference address...

The right wing partisan hacks you parrot have a long history of the utterly ridiculous...

But you take THEM seriously...

Obama gave a rambling speech and obviously didn't have all the facts. Not his best effort.

As I remember, Bush disappeared for 12 hours on 9-11 and gave a short radio address that night. His initial speech was not inspiring either.

I look for Obama to attend the Ft Hood memorial ceremony in a week or so. Look for him to have his A game then

A week later is a little late for Obammy to "bring his A game". :rolleyes:

"I look for Obama to attend the Ft Hood memorial ceremony in a week or so. Look for him to have his A game then"

Soooooooooo after his trip to Japan is a good enough time for you for Obama to show his compassion and support to HIS MILITARY PERSONEL huh?

Amazing....totally freakin amazing!!!! To hell with what the families and victims are going through NOW right? Who cares if he's showing just how little he cares about HIS MILITARY right? It's Obama so it's ALL GOOD.

The justification and defense that so many are posting for his lack of inaction on the Ft Hood Shooting is about as low as you can go. But I want you all to remember this everytime you want to bring up that Bush sat for 5 MINUTES before responding to being told the country was under attack. I want you to think about the picture of Bush up on top of the rubble at ground zero LESS than a week after it happened everytime you give Obama a pass for NOT going to Ft Hood to show his support for HIS MILITARY Personel. I want you to thing long and hard about your hypocrisy when Obama returns from another "suck up" trip and ONLY THEN deigns to venture Ft Hood and address the victims and the families of the dead LONG after they're in the ground. Then I want you to think long and hard about the fact that YOUR choice of leader has to wait for all the "facts" to come in while the man you defile here on a regular basis was AT FT HOOD with his wife consoling the families of those lost and visiting the survivors before the dust settled good and long before Obama got up and gave a "shout out" to his bud before even mentioning what had happened.

But hey, you keep giving Obama a pass while he continues to spit in the collective face of every family member of those that were shot LAST THURSDAY and wish him well as he flies off on yet another trip out of the country.

Last edited:

Harry S. Truman

I'm the partisan hack? WOW..."when people see unfair reactions"...you MEAN when partisan HACKS see an opportunity to smear the president? And we should take you seriously? You are a piece of work...

I'll to be happy to give my reaction, now that I've exposed the fact you are a parrot for partisan hacks that operate every day with the sole intent of slandering the president, Democrats or liberals...

In the case of Bush's failure as Commander in Chief, people should have been outraged like I was and like Lee Iacocca was...

In the case of Obama, he could have reversed his message, but I thought his response to the shootings was genuine and appropriate...But here's the rub...

If he had reversed his message, the SAME right wing pundits would have still criticized him for his conference comments sharing the stage...

If he had addressed the conference and then had a separate address on the shootings, the SAME right wing pundits would have still criticized him for not mentioning it in the conference address...

The right wing partisan hacks you parrot have a long history of the utterly ridiculous...

But you take THEM seriously...

Hey look you agree with me!!! but your still a partisan hack doucebag :lol:

Forum List

Back