Interesting Comparison: Reactions to Obama and Bush

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
I've seen a lot of people commenting on Obama's reaction/speech in relation to the shooting at fort hood. Mostly people are saying it seemed like he didn't take it seriously, doesn't care, or thought it was no big deal.

This reminds me of how many portrayed Bush's response to 9/11.

What do you guys think? Here are video clips for reference.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkbBPsPSIrA]YouTube - President Obama: Thoughts and Prayers with Fort Hood[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WztB6HzXxI]YouTube - Bush's Seven Minutes of Silence[/ame]

IMO Obama shouldn't have had that "intro" before discussion the tragedy at Ft. Hood. I cringed when he "gave a shout out." It struck me as very insensitive and not presidential at all.

Obama gave a rambling speech and obviously didn't have all the facts. Not his best effort.

As I remember, Bush disappeared for 12 hours on 9-11 and gave a short radio address that night. His initial speech was not inspiring either.

I look for Obama to attend the Ft Hood memorial ceremony in a week or so. Look for him to have his A game then

Obama gave a rambling speech and obviously didn't have all the facts. Not his best effort.

As I remember, Bush disappeared for 12 hours on 9-11 and gave a short radio address that night. His initial speech was not inspiring either.

I look for Obama to attend the Ft Hood memorial ceremony in a week or so. Look for him to have his A game then

Will do.

Not seeing how you are comparing the two events.

But yes, they both should have burst into tears, pulled out their hair and acted like the world was coming to an end.

But yes, they both should have burst into tears, pulled out their hair and acted like the world was coming to an end.

I'm comparing how people reacted to both presidents.

Bush got crap for not seeming like he was concerned enough in front of the schoolkids. Obama is getting crap for not seeming like he cared enough yesterday.

Making sense now my little cheeze ravioli :)?

Last edited:

Bush got crap for not seeming like he was concerned enough in front of the schoolkids. Obama is getting crap for not seeming like he cared enough yesterday.

Bush got word as he was in the classroom.

Obama knew what had happened before he gave his speech.

Apples and oranges to me.

I'm with Article15 on this; the rambling for 2 minutes before even mentioning the shooting and the freaking 'shout out' . . . .wth? Who is advising him anyway? They suck.

In the case of Bush why the hell scare the bejeezus out of the kids by coming unglued over something you can't do crap about just yet. You got a tragedy still unfolding even as you watch, and the scope of that tragedy is not yet clear and woudln't be for another hour or so. By the way best piece of evidence there is that Bush had no clue that any of this was going to happen.

In the case of Obama the whole damn speech came of more of why me why now sort of thing that he found to be more of a nuisance than a problem. It sounded awfully like "Damn I just visited some dead soldiers yesterday now I'm going to have to do it again."

WOW, this has to be a joke right? Bush should have more than criticized; he should have been impeached!

The Commander in Chief of the armed services on the United States of America was informed by his Chief of Staff that "America IS UNDER ATTACK"... he DID nothing...NOTHING...

It isn't about Bush "not seeming like he was concerned enough" It's about his FAILURE to carry out his duty, responsibility and obligation AS Commander in Chief of the armed services on the United States of America...

In reality, Bush got crap because he didn't cut short his session with the kids when it seemed clear that the US was under attack. You are free to criticize Obama for not brushing off the people he was speaking to...but the US was not under attack yesterday. The responses in both instances are and should be totally different.

anyone else like to comment?

The attack on Bush and Obama for these two separate incidences are purely partisan driven and as usual says much more about the complainers.
Case in point: Bfgrn's post, he's obviously clairvoyant and knew exactly what Bush was thinking, not to mention what the advisers and Secret Service were deciding. (Right......)
Now let me add Ravi to this. Jeeze!

Last edited:
Bush bad Obama great, that is a great example of a unexperienced man boy president!!!! I want to see how he is going to blame Bush for this shooting!

anyone else like to comment?

The attack on Bush and Obama for these two separate incidences are purely partisan driven and as usual says much more about the complainers.
Case in point: Bfgrn's post, he's obviously clairvoyant and knew exactly what Bush was thinking, not to mention what the advisers and Secret Service were deciding. (Right......)
Now let me add Ravi to this. Jeeze!
Why...for pointing out why Bush was criticized? I didn't say it was right or wrong, I merely clarified the situation.

In reality, Bush got crap because he didn't cut short his session with the kids when it seemed clear that the US was under attack. You are free to criticize Obama for not brushing off the people he was speaking to...but the US was not under attack yesterday. The responses in both instances are and should be totally different.

He told Bush that ‘America is under attack’

Q&A with Andrew Card, who whispered news of 9/11 to the president

090910-george-bush-vlg-11a.widec.jpg

Former White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card was, famously, the man who broke the news of the full enormity of the Sept. 11 attacks to President Bush during an appearance at a Florida elementary school. Now in private life after six years in one of the toughest jobs in politics, he talked to msnbc.com’s Afsin Yurdakul about his experiences on that fateful day eight years ago. Excerpts from their conversation follow.

Andrew Card:
I made the decision that I would pass on two facts, make one editorial comment and do nothing to invite a question or start a dialogue.

I opened the door to the classroom and the press pool was gathered at the back of the classroom. I walked up to the president and leaned over and whispered into his right ear: “A second plane” — I was very very succinct, very purposeful with my diction — “A second plane hit the second tower. America is under attack.” And I stood back from the president so that he couldn’t ask me a question and then I inched my way back to the door.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntAebtRS9zc&feature=PlayList&p=BEF80BCB52D098A2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5]YouTube - Andrew Card explains what he told President Bush on the morning of 9/11[/ame]

I've seen a lot of people commenting on Obama's reaction/speech in relation to the shooting at fort hood. Mostly people are saying it seemed like he didn't take it seriously, doesn't care, or thought it was no big deal.

This reminds me of how many portrayed Bush's response to 9/11.

What do you guys think? Here are video clips for reference.

YouTube - President Obama: Thoughts and Prayers with Fort Hood

YouTube - Bush's Seven Minutes of Silence
These are not quite equal events to compare. having said that, I identify totally with President Bush's silence, while his staff and the secret service were turning the cars around to make a clean exit, not knowing exactly what threat was out there.

And of course Obama giving a "shout out" shows his sense of proportion; without a sense of proportion there can be no sound judgement.

What was Bush going to do, the secret service would not have let him go anywhere until they found out what was happening and where. He was in a safe and secured place at the time of the attack and their job is to protect the president and the country. Once the info was learned the president was moved to a more secure place so he could continue his job as president, find out who was responsible and act on that information.

Forum List

Back