Interesting article on guns in Japan

frigidweirdo , see my memory DID serve me correctly -- you DO hate the 2nd Amendment -- which ensures the right of Americans to keep (own) AND bear (carry on their persons) arms (firearms).

Don't you see that without such a right then crime will continue to spiral out of control like in Chicago, Detroit, Oakland, Los Angeles -- anyplace with a lot of freed Negro slaves and their useless posterity ?!

Or if someone like Nixon came along again and did NOT step down, there would be no power of the people to force him out. In that case without a 2nd Amendment the people would become slaves of the government !!

Or if there were some sort of invasion from Mexico or China as there almost was from Japan back in 1941, the people would be powerless to stop them, as were the Asians of 1937 to 1945 against the Japanese ?! This is what the 2nd Amendment is actually about although the other two points are equally relevant.

Instead of fearing guns you should get your own and learn how to shoot.

Po
Why don't we just deport all Hispanics and Blacks? Crime would be reduced dramatically if we did...or maybe we just deport all Americans who are not Asian. Then, there would be almost no crime in America.

Is that racist in your mind?

Would it? No, I don't think it would.

You're just making simplistic "solution" for a complex problem.
Are you claiming that blacks and Hispanics do NOT commit the lion share of violence in America? I have to ask because your prior post was typically unclear.

No, I'm not claiming that.

However almost certainly they commit more crime because a higher percentage of them are in poverty.
Poverty does not cause crime. If it did, we would have seen a huge increase in crime during the Great Depression, instead it went down.

Facts often surprise leftists.

I didn't say poverty causes crime now, did I?

This is about percentages and possibilities and what is more likely. A person in poverty is MORE LIKELY to commit crime than a person who is wealthy. Some wealthy people commit crime, some poor people don't. Trying to simplify this to simply win a point that isn't being made isn't going to help you.
Poverty causes dope use, and dope use causes crime.

And crime is one of the top 3 reasons why everyone else who can become the victims of crime needs to own and carry their own firearms in addition to avoiding seedy places with crime.

But don't worry the criminals will eventually come to you wherever you are, whether you are holed up in some English castle or not.

They USE violence! WTF!

Are you claiming there is no difference TODAY between Islam and Christianity?

There's lots of differences. That doesn't mean they're not both violent. Christianity has evolved into a religion where it's okay to do bad things. People don't fight in the name of Christianity so much, but are Christians doing violence. Whereas Islam has developed another way out of necessity with Jihad.
Why don't we just deport all Hispanics and Blacks? Crime would be reduced dramatically if we did...or maybe we just deport all Americans who are not Asian. Then, there would be almost no crime in America.

Are you claiming that blacks and Hispanics do NOT commit the lion share of violence in America? I have to ask because your prior post was typically unclear.

However almost certainly they commit more crime because a higher percentage of them are in poverty.
Jeeze your grammar is bad ...

It should be "a higher percentage (singular) of them (prepositional phrase) IS (not are) in poverty."

Po

Poverty does not cause crime. If it did, we would have seen a huge increase in crime during the Great Depression, instead it went down.

This is about percentages and possibilities and what is more likely. A person in poverty is MORE LIKELY to commit crime than a person who is wealthy. Some wealthy people commit crime, some poor people don't. Trying to simplify this to simply win a point that isn't being made isn't going to help you.

And crime is one of the top 3 reasons why everyone else who can become the victims of crime needs to own and carry their own firearms in addition to avoiding seedy places with crime.

But don't worry the criminals will eventually come to you wherever you are, whether you are holed up in some English castle or not.

So, you just make it all up and hey presto, you have something that resembles an argue. Whatever, I'm not in the mood for talking bullshit.

There's lots of differences. That doesn't mean they're not both violent. Christianity has evolved into a religion where it's okay to do bad things. People don't fight in the name of Christianity so much, but are Christians doing violence. Whereas Islam has developed another way out of necessity with Jihad.

It should be "a higher percentage (singular) of them (prepositional phrase) IS (not are) in poverty."

Who gives a shit?

Who gives a shit?
Because it shows that you are uneducated and therefore also cannot think straight -- just East End poor and stupid.

Po

So, you just make it all up and hey presto, you have something that resembles an argue. Whatever, I'm not in the mood for talking bullshit.
You should try walking your limey arse through one of those black cities and see how far you get without a gun of your own.

How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime - BBC News

Ever been to Japan? I have, much safer, nice country. Why? Well maybe because they actually give a damn about their people and their country.

There is a lot more going on than the presence, or absence of guns regarding Japan. The differences are far more than who has a pistol, or rifle, and who doesn't. There are cultural differences that are almost beyond the imagining of people.

I watched a documentary about the Fukushima disaster. It was filmed after the disaster of course, and all the workers except the manager had their faces blurred. The reason according to the documentary was that the workers were ashamed that the accident had happened, and did not wish to have their faces shown to the world, or their neighbors.

We blur faces, but when there is a child involved, or some imaginary threat to the individual. A security reason, we don't want the terrorists to know that the guy talking is a special forces soldier or spy.

Also in the documentary, the refugees were eating government handout food. One man sighed and said that the food was always the same, and it would be nice to have some variety. Another set his chop sticks down and said he couldn't eat it, it was not good food. None of them rushed to the counter screaming or shouting. None of them were pounding on the table demanding better food. They took it, and ate it, or not.

For a vast majority of Japanese, conformity is not just a general rule that should be followed, it's practically a commandment. When they do go into a criminal lifestyle, the main group is their version of the Mob, the Yakuza. Failure is not accepted, and to beg forgiveness you sacrifice a finger.

But it's more than just the conformity social norm. It's the obedience norm. If a man gets fired, he doesn't want revenge for firing him. He is ashamed because he did not work hard enough, was not good enough, and failed. The fault is his, not the company, nor the world. In America, when you fire someone, there is a chance that the guy or girl will come back and want revenge. Because they are the ones who are special, they have been told so through their entire life.

There is a lot going on between the two societies, and I haven't even chipped away at the iceberg. To join Japan in the low murder rates, we would have to do a lot more that abandon guns. That's the same surface, and addresses nothing underneath that surface. Are you willing to bow and show respect to a Republican President? Are you willing to unquestionably accept him as the leader?

I am independent enough to believe that those in power above me are not always right. And I want the freedom to tell you that you are missing the point of pretty much everything in the comparison.

Yes, of course there are differences, and massive differences. I've been to Japan and at times felt lost.

That doesn't mean that Japan's strict gun laws don't stop murders. It might mean that you have to be careful and understand the context of something.

However EVERY first world country has a lower murder rate than the US. People try and pass off all comparisons because they know they're onto a losing thing.

Yet, if we were to go with the presence, or absence of firearms as the only criteria, then Switzerland throws the entire issue into question.

The Swiss Difference: A Gun Culture That Works | TIME.com

So would you object to Swiss like laws in the US? I bet you would. Would you object to Japanese like police interrogations? I damn sure would. You can't just pick one thing, and say we need to change that one thing and we can have less crime.

Norway has the most liberal of prison policies I've ever heard of, yet they have a lower recidivism rate than we do. So getting rid of guns which is a literal impossibility, would have to be coupled with a widespread societal changes and revamping the Criminal Justice System.

Why Norway's prison system is so successful

We can turn the police loose to use methods which our Supreme Court has found to be unconstitutional, or we can work with Criminals to show them how to live in society like Norway. Decisions, decisions. Because no two nations have exactly the same situations. Japan has low crime, but exceedingly strict enforcement and brutal police. Norway has low crime, but exceedingly liberal policies towards the treatment of Convicts. Switzerland has low crime, and high gun ownership.

I watched a show the other day when James May a Brit was describing how Americans and Germans view things. The question was what happens when you lose your driving license. The American asked the German what happened if you drove with a suspended or revoked license. The German replied that was impossible, you had no license, and could not drive. But what if it's really late, and you decide to go to the store or a restaurant or something. No, it is impossible, you have no license, and can not drive.

The average German can't imagine breaking the rules. That has been the situation in Germany for far more than a Century. Before WW I the Kaiser laughed and said that there would be no revolution in Germany until things got so bad that the revolution could be announced on official placards posted on every street corner. That was literally the truth as World War One ended.

Japanese workers show up an hour early, minimum, and stay an hour late, again minimum. All without pay for those hours. I would not want to see that mentality take root here. Worse, I would hate to see what our elected leaders would do with an obedient and compliant people.

All these attitudes are different from nation to nation. Those stresses are tearing the EU apart as I write this. Britain has chosen to leave, to declare their independence. France may, and Italy could well depart too. They are European, and proud, but they are British, or French, or Italian first.

We won't embrace a ban on guns just because someone else does. Many of us believe it is an Unailiable Right. Not a right guaranteed to us by the Constitution, but a right that all people have that Government has no right to interfere with. The Founders didn't decide that I have a right to possess arms. That was something that came from God, Natural Selection, Evolution, or Gaia depending on your point of view. We humans are what we are, and Americans will never be the sheep that many peoples around the world are. It would take a century of modification of the social norms before the people would accept the idea.

But I have a question. Why is it impossible to deport 11 million illegal immigrants, but no problem to ban half a billion guns?

Yes there are other factors that make up how much a crime problem is going to be.

One thing is rejecting all comparisons because there are differences, and another is looking at what works within the society. Would Japan's murder rate be higher? Certainly.

If you look at Switzerland you can see certain issues at play.

Switzerland has a murder rate of 0.5 which is low. In Western Europe only Austria has a similar level (excluding Monaco).

If you look at gun deaths, then there's a different story

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia

Switzerland's is 3.08, compared to the UK's 0.23, the US has 10.54.

So, Switzerland has a murder rate about 8 times lower than the US, but a gun death rate only 3 times lower. It has a murder rate half that of the UK, and a gun death rate that is 12 times higher.

Gun homicides are 0.23 for Switzerland, compared to 0.06 for the UK, or 0.00 for Japan, or 3.43 for the US.

So, again a gun homicide rate 4 times higher than the UK, but 14 times lower than the US.

What would Switzerland be like without those guns in society? Who knows, but certainly they play a part.

But the laws in Switzerland are a lot different to the US.

Switzerland has a higher GDP than the US, $80,000 to $56,000 and the US has a lot more poverty than in Switzerland. The CIA estimates Switzerland's poverty at 6.9 compared to the US's 15.1

List of countries by percentage of population living in poverty - Wikipedia

This no doubt has an impact. The US doesn't seem interested in making things more equal, or better, or getting rid of ghettos where a lot of gun violence happens. It seems to revel in the fact that this exists.

I can't really answer your question, I am not a person who believes in mass immigration as a policy. Also I don't think it would be easy to get rid of so many guns.

No....Switzerland is a tiny country that has a homogenous population with the same values and culture. They also don't have vast numbers of minorities exploited by a democrat party that denies them quality education.

Ever been to Japan? I have, much safer, nice country. Why? Well maybe because they actually give a damn about their people and their country.

Y'all are constantly frothing yourselves over this. Why not move on over to that paradise then?

Typical bullshit of someone without an argument.

What do you expect when you throw extremist bullshit like eradicating guns?

So most countries in the world are "extremist" then?

But you're still trying to come up with excuses for not having an argument.

There is nothing to argue. The 2nd guarantees our right.

Y'all are constantly frothing yourselves over this. Why not move on over to that paradise then?

Actually, no. The right is part of being human....the 2nd Amendment just states this for dumb anti gunners...and left wingers....

There is a lot more going on than the presence, or absence of guns regarding Japan. The differences are far more than who has a pistol, or rifle, and who doesn't. There are cultural differences that are almost beyond the imagining of people.

I watched a documentary about the Fukushima disaster. It was filmed after the disaster of course, and all the workers except the manager had their faces blurred. The reason according to the documentary was that the workers were ashamed that the accident had happened, and did not wish to have their faces shown to the world, or their neighbors.

We blur faces, but when there is a child involved, or some imaginary threat to the individual. A security reason, we don't want the terrorists to know that the guy talking is a special forces soldier or spy.

Also in the documentary, the refugees were eating government handout food. One man sighed and said that the food was always the same, and it would be nice to have some variety. Another set his chop sticks down and said he couldn't eat it, it was not good food. None of them rushed to the counter screaming or shouting. None of them were pounding on the table demanding better food. They took it, and ate it, or not.

For a vast majority of Japanese, conformity is not just a general rule that should be followed, it's practically a commandment. When they do go into a criminal lifestyle, the main group is their version of the Mob, the Yakuza. Failure is not accepted, and to beg forgiveness you sacrifice a finger.

But it's more than just the conformity social norm. It's the obedience norm. If a man gets fired, he doesn't want revenge for firing him. He is ashamed because he did not work hard enough, was not good enough, and failed. The fault is his, not the company, nor the world. In America, when you fire someone, there is a chance that the guy or girl will come back and want revenge. Because they are the ones who are special, they have been told so through their entire life.

There is a lot going on between the two societies, and I haven't even chipped away at the iceberg. To join Japan in the low murder rates, we would have to do a lot more that abandon guns. That's the same surface, and addresses nothing underneath that surface. Are you willing to bow and show respect to a Republican President? Are you willing to unquestionably accept him as the leader?

I am independent enough to believe that those in power above me are not always right. And I want the freedom to tell you that you are missing the point of pretty much everything in the comparison.

Yes, of course there are differences, and massive differences. I've been to Japan and at times felt lost.

That doesn't mean that Japan's strict gun laws don't stop murders. It might mean that you have to be careful and understand the context of something.

However EVERY first world country has a lower murder rate than the US. People try and pass off all comparisons because they know they're onto a losing thing.

Yet, if we were to go with the presence, or absence of firearms as the only criteria, then Switzerland throws the entire issue into question.

The Swiss Difference: A Gun Culture That Works | TIME.com

So would you object to Swiss like laws in the US? I bet you would. Would you object to Japanese like police interrogations? I damn sure would. You can't just pick one thing, and say we need to change that one thing and we can have less crime.

Norway has the most liberal of prison policies I've ever heard of, yet they have a lower recidivism rate than we do. So getting rid of guns which is a literal impossibility, would have to be coupled with a widespread societal changes and revamping the Criminal Justice System.

Why Norway's prison system is so successful

We can turn the police loose to use methods which our Supreme Court has found to be unconstitutional, or we can work with Criminals to show them how to live in society like Norway. Decisions, decisions. Because no two nations have exactly the same situations. Japan has low crime, but exceedingly strict enforcement and brutal police. Norway has low crime, but exceedingly liberal policies towards the treatment of Convicts. Switzerland has low crime, and high gun ownership.

I watched a show the other day when James May a Brit was describing how Americans and Germans view things. The question was what happens when you lose your driving license. The American asked the German what happened if you drove with a suspended or revoked license. The German replied that was impossible, you had no license, and could not drive. But what if it's really late, and you decide to go to the store or a restaurant or something. No, it is impossible, you have no license, and can not drive.

The average German can't imagine breaking the rules. That has been the situation in Germany for far more than a Century. Before WW I the Kaiser laughed and said that there would be no revolution in Germany until things got so bad that the revolution could be announced on official placards posted on every street corner. That was literally the truth as World War One ended.

Japanese workers show up an hour early, minimum, and stay an hour late, again minimum. All without pay for those hours. I would not want to see that mentality take root here. Worse, I would hate to see what our elected leaders would do with an obedient and compliant people.

All these attitudes are different from nation to nation. Those stresses are tearing the EU apart as I write this. Britain has chosen to leave, to declare their independence. France may, and Italy could well depart too. They are European, and proud, but they are British, or French, or Italian first.

We won't embrace a ban on guns just because someone else does. Many of us believe it is an Unailiable Right. Not a right guaranteed to us by the Constitution, but a right that all people have that Government has no right to interfere with. The Founders didn't decide that I have a right to possess arms. That was something that came from God, Natural Selection, Evolution, or Gaia depending on your point of view. We humans are what we are, and Americans will never be the sheep that many peoples around the world are. It would take a century of modification of the social norms before the people would accept the idea.

But I have a question. Why is it impossible to deport 11 million illegal immigrants, but no problem to ban half a billion guns?

Yes there are other factors that make up how much a crime problem is going to be.

One thing is rejecting all comparisons because there are differences, and another is looking at what works within the society. Would Japan's murder rate be higher? Certainly.

If you look at Switzerland you can see certain issues at play.

Switzerland has a murder rate of 0.5 which is low. In Western Europe only Austria has a similar level (excluding Monaco).

If you look at gun deaths, then there's a different story

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia

Switzerland's is 3.08, compared to the UK's 0.23, the US has 10.54.

So, Switzerland has a murder rate about 8 times lower than the US, but a gun death rate only 3 times lower. It has a murder rate half that of the UK, and a gun death rate that is 12 times higher.

Gun homicides are 0.23 for Switzerland, compared to 0.06 for the UK, or 0.00 for Japan, or 3.43 for the US.

So, again a gun homicide rate 4 times higher than the UK, but 14 times lower than the US.

What would Switzerland be like without those guns in society? Who knows, but certainly they play a part.

But the laws in Switzerland are a lot different to the US.

Switzerland has a higher GDP than the US, $80,000 to $56,000 and the US has a lot more poverty than in Switzerland. The CIA estimates Switzerland's poverty at 6.9 compared to the US's 15.1

List of countries by percentage of population living in poverty - Wikipedia

This no doubt has an impact. The US doesn't seem interested in making things more equal, or better, or getting rid of ghettos where a lot of gun violence happens. It seems to revel in the fact that this exists.

I can't really answer your question, I am not a person who believes in mass immigration as a policy. Also I don't think it would be easy to get rid of so many guns.

No....Switzerland is a tiny country that has a homogenous population with the same values and culture. They also don't have vast numbers of minorities exploited by a democrat party that denies them quality education.
The Swiss are smart ...

First they never let slaves in so now they don't have a huge Negro population ...

Second they did not let mooseleems in either like Merkel did, so they also do not have a slew of terrorists there either.

The USA has both, plus Mexicans, plus Asian gangs, etc.

Who gives a shit?
Because it shows that you are uneducated and therefore also cannot think straight -- just East End poor and stupid.

Ah, and resorting to personal attacks is educated?

Wow, life seems so simple to you, doesn't it?

Who gives a shit?

Ah, and resorting to personal attacks is educated?
Frivolous fraudulent gun control laws are attacks on personal freedoms... fact

Forum List

Back