Intelligent Design: Extinct?

If Intelligent Design is not extinct, it is certainly an endangered species in the US. I find it quite ironic that a philosophy which opposes the validity of natural selection has apparently fallen victim to the survival of the fittest scientific explanation for the diversity and heredity of life on earth.

Following definitive defeat in federal court and with many religious folks disinterested in any pseudo-scientific explanations for biodiversity -- preferring science or the bible's contentions instead -- does the ID movement have any future in the US?

If there is any ID at all, it came when God said, "Let there be light" and created the physical universe and its laws. Everything thereafter has been the evolution of the universe, utilizing the rules in place.

Sorry buddy, can't take one verse in the Bible and then edit out the rest with evolution. Well, I suppose you can for your purposes, however, the truth that "God created" has not and will not change. Further, Everything that has been created is created by God. (John 1)

ID, evolution? Just take the Bible up and read it with the Creator in mind, and it can create wonderful change in your life.

No, it is evolutionists that are arguing that ID cannot be observed yet not one bit of their theory can be observed.

The argument from evolution is that a supernatural force can not be observed, tested, or reproduced.

Evolution is readily observable in the lab and in the fossil record. You can reject that if you want, the field of biological sciences could care less about your opinion on the matter.

No.. micro or intraspecies evolution has been deduced and partially observed... evolution of life from nothing or interspecies evolution has not been observed.. it is just as much a leap of faith as belief in a higher power

If Intelligent Design is not extinct, it is certainly an endangered species in the US. I find it quite ironic that a philosophy which opposes the validity of natural selection has apparently fallen victim to the survival of the fittest scientific explanation for the diversity and heredity of life on earth.

Following definitive defeat in federal court and with many religious folks disinterested in any pseudo-scientific explanations for biodiversity -- preferring science or the bible's contentions instead -- does the ID movement have any future in the US?

If there is any ID at all, it came when God said, "Let there be light" and created the physical universe and its laws. Everything thereafter has been the evolution of the universe, utilizing the rules in place.

Sorry buddy, can't take one verse in the Bible and then edit out the rest with evolution. Well, I suppose you can for your purposes, however, the truth that "God created" has not and will not change. Further, Everything that has been created is created by God. (John 1)

ID, evolution? Just take the Bible up and read it with the Creator in mind, and it can create wonderful change in your life.

I'll take the observable and provable, thank you. To do otherwise would be to say that God lies to us. If evolution didn't occur, what of all the fossils that show changes over time? Who put them there? Why are trilobite and dolphin fossils not found in the same strata. To say evolution hasn't happened is to deny reality, IMO, and that God plays games with us.

I feel God gave us rules to follow, but does not directly influence events. That's what "free will" is all about. I cringe when I here "everything happens for a reason" and "God has a plan for my life". That sounds very paganish to me, as if God were one of the Olympians manipulating the mortals!!! For all the bad press the RCC has gotten lately, at least they don't screw up people's minds with that kind of false doctrine. Things OFTEN happen for no reason and I'M the one responsible for the plan of my life. To say otherwise is to deny free will and makes life nothing more than a rigged game, IMO.

No.. micro or intraspecies evolution has been deduced and partially observed... evolution of life from nothing or interspecies evolution has not been observed.. it is just as much a leap of faith as belief in a higher power

Evolution makes no distinctions between macro and micro evolution. Only the anti-evolutionists get wrapped up in that.

To everyone else, it's like saying "I believe in a penny, but not a quarter".

As opposed to Big Bang + Miracle + unobserved evolutionism + adaptation evolution.

Quit co-mingling different theories with evolution. Again, I am left to wonder if you really know what evolution says and what it doesn't say.

Can we observe things changing and adapting? Yes. Simple as that.

You are still not grasping the ID uses the same mechanism of speciation as evolution. The "how" and "what" is entirely the same. It's the "why" that is different.

Great! And I could point out a bunch of problems with an automobile. Therefore, it wasn't designed.:cuckoo:

It was designed by men who are flawed. It was not designed by an all powerful/intelligent creator.

They are entitled to their own opinion, not their own facts. ;)

And there are mountains of facts to support evolutionary theory. Why else would ID adopt it?

I'll take the observable and provable, thank you. To do otherwise would be to say that God lies to us. If evolution didn't occur, what of all the fossils that show changes over time? Who put them there? Why are trilobite and dolphin fossils not found in the same strata. To say evolution hasn't happened is to deny reality, IMO, and that God plays games with us.

I feel God gave us rules to follow, but does not directly influence events. That's what "free will" is all about. I cringe when I here "everything happens for a reason" and "God has a plan for my life". That sounds very paganish to me, as if God were one of the Olympians manipulating the mortals!!! For all the bad press the RCC has gotten lately, at least they don't screw up people's minds with that kind of false doctrine. Things OFTEN happen for no reason and I'M the one responsible for the plan of my life. To say otherwise is to deny free will and makes life nothing more than a rigged game, IMO.

You can follow evolution, it does happen in small ways. We cannot deny that. One species to another, not provable or observable.

Don't throw out evolution, but no fool can deny that there is awesome evidence of design in what we see by the use of scientific knowledge. What is the fear of seeing that and admitting it. Many scientists do, some of whom are not even Christians.

The statement, "everything happens for a reason" is an overstatement. Romans 8:28 clears that on up quickly. "For we know that all things work together for good to those who love God and are the called according to His purposes." This does not mean that all things are good, it just means that God can take things and make something good of them. His ultimate plan will happen, but along the way there is good and bad in the mix that we cause or do. Some things do happen for a reason, but we do not know what those things are necessarily. God created man as man, and other creatures as they are. In time some evolution has taken place, but not species to species. There is no prood of observable evidence to contradict that statement.

As opposed to Big Bang + Miracle + unobserved evolutionism + adaptation evolution.

Quit co-mingling different theories with evolution. Again, I am left to wonder if you really know what evolution says and what it doesn't say.

Well, tell the schools to quit co-mingling the different theories then.

You are still not grasping the ID uses the same mechanism of speciation as evolution. The "how" and "what" is entirely the same. It's the "why" that is different.

No, the "how" is different and so is the "what." The how and what are observable in ID but only partially in evolutionism. The "why" in both ID and evolutionism is left to speculations and distant observations.

As Ernst Mayr stated:

“...Darwin introduced historicity into science. Evolutionary biology, in contrast with physics and chemistry, is a historical science – the evolutionist attempts to explain events and processes that have already taken place. Laws and experiments are inappropriate techniques for the explication of such events and processes. Instead one constructs a historical narrative, consisting of a tentative reconstruction of the particular scenario that led to the events one is trying to explain.”
-Darwin’s Influence on Modern Thought, p. 80, (July 2000, Scientific American)

It was designed by men who are flawed. It was not designed by an all powerful/intelligent creator.

That is one assumption you could make about a designer, however, it is not the only assuption that you can make.

Last edited:
Well, tell the schools to quit co-mingling the different theories then.

They aren't. You appear to be the only person who is confused on the difference between abiogenesis and evolutionary theory.

No, the "how" is different and so is the "what." The how and what are observable in ID but only partially in evolutionism. The "why" in both ID and evolutionism is left to speculations and distant observations.

You are completely obvious of what ID is. Once again, ID uses the exact same mechanisms of evolution to describe speciation. The only difference is that ID proponents claim God (or some other supernatural entity) is behind the process.

So for you to claim that evolution is not observable but ID is is just laughable.

As Ernst Mayr stated:

“...Darwin introduced historicity into science. Evolutionary biology, in contrast with physics and chemistry, is a historical science – the evolutionist attempts to explain events and processes that have already taken place. Laws and experiments are inappropriate techniques for the explication of such events and processes. Instead one constructs a historical narrative, consisting of a tentative reconstruction of the particular scenario that led to the events one is trying to explain.”

And?

They aren't. You appear to be the only person who is confused on the difference between abiogenesis and evolutionary theory.

No, I'm not confused. Perhaps you are either confused or acting like it. Do they not teach BOTH the Big Bang and Evolutionism in schools? (BTW, I know the answer, I'm just wanting to see if you will be honest on it)

You are completely obvious of what ID is. Once again, ID uses the exact same mechanisms of evolution to describe speciation. The only difference is that ID proponents claim God (or some other supernatural entity) is behind the process.

The difference between creation theory and ID is that CT defines who the creator is while ID separates the two.

So for you to claim that evolution is not observable but ID is is just laughable.

People laugh at reality all the time. You are welcome to join them.

As Ernst Mayr stated:

And?

In other words, if you are going to enter history as science then that opens wide the door to all history being used as science. ;)

The difference between creation theory and ID is that CT defines who the creator is while ID separates the two.

this is bullshit. there are a multitude of ways to see creation theory. creation theory and ID are different in that many versions of creation theory are based on scriptures and religious traditions. ID is based on pseudo science. unlike science, it declares an end to investigation, claiming irreducible complexity instead, then attributes that to an anonymous god-type force.

i dont see why anyone who believes in God would subscribe to ID, which amounts to the creation and adoration of a false god in the judeo-christian tradition, and which aims to do so with theory which does not abide with scientific exploration, either. furthermore, through this irreducible complexity bullshit, ID casts a limited, rather than infinite character on God and creation, which is not supported within religious many traditions.

this is a way which i can appreciate the honesty and faithfulness of the amish tradition. there is no half-assed pseudo-scientific misadventure about their faith and understanding of God and creation. there is a recognition, maybe, that we lack the wherewithal to 'defend' God against the science which explores the natural world -- God's own creation.

i feel that through exploration of the natural world, that we are exploring God's work, and that there is no mandate from God to pursue or advocate ignorance in the way which ID is designed to bring about.

ID simply doesn't fit in science, it doesn't fit in religion. it's blasphemous to each.

Evolution makes no distinctions between macro and micro evolution. Only the anti-evolutionists get wrapped up in that.

this miro/macro bit is a trademark of the pseudo science game. have they established that there is a natural mechanism which precludes the same forces which affect biodiversity from affecting such biodiversity that might be characterized as speciation? have they presented evidence which negates scientific observation of remote heredity by indicating how that varies from observation of heredity within a species or a breed or population?

because these ID assaults are aimed at a high school population's understanding of science, i think it has only been developed with those axioms in mind. once a more informed grasp is taken to biology and genetics, claims like this micro/macro bit make no sense or beg simple questions required for their validation, but which have not been answered sufficient for it to be credible.

it's like claiming ice is not water, but not explaining why ice is still made of water molecules.

You can follow evolution, it does happen in small ways. We cannot deny that. One species to another, not provable or observable.
to deny that, one would have to theorize why the gene/phenotype relationship which is observable today, did not exist at the time fossilized creatures were alive. one would have to demonstrate that a barrier exists between these 'small ways' and those theorized to have played out over millennia in isolated populations. is ID theory based on these types of observations or is it argumentum ad ignoratum and not scientific theory for that reason?
Don't throw out evolution, but no fool can deny that there is awesome evidence of design in what we see by the use of scientific knowledge. What is the fear of seeing that and admitting it. Many scientists do, some of whom are not even Christians.
because of the secular nature of science, this choice to attribute scientific discovery with God is welcomed in response. attribution is furthermore very different from design. whatever the attribution, science investigates the nature of the subject. the concept of design goes beyond attribution by supposing a mechanism which has not been observed. what the vast majority of scientists who believe in God have embraced is the method which nature has come about, as observed through scientific observation, while ID aims to superimpose a crude concept of design which answers no questions whatsoever. it is the faithful equivalent to answering 'because that's the way it is' to a scientific exploration of why or how, and initself design is not an acceptable scientific answer because of that. because it runs against the grain of exploration in this manner, it is not welcomed; it is not science.

you will find that scientists, most of whom have a religious background, recognize this retrograde character of ID, and that it is not fitting with their view of the role of faith in science or of science in faith.

If there is no difference, we would have evidence, fossil record, or observable results... we don't

You have faith that it does in absence of these... sound familiar?

In time some evolution has taken place, but not species to species. There is no prood of observable evidence to contradict that statement.

So, then where did new species come from? I've seen lots of trilobite fossils, but there was never a single dolphin fossil among them. Why not?

If there is no difference, we would have evidence, fossil record, or observable results... we don't

Then you obviously haven't looked at the fossil record.

No, I'm not confused. Perhaps you are either confused or acting like it. Do they not teach BOTH the Big Bang and Evolutionism in schools? (BTW, I know the answer, I'm just wanting to see if you will be honest on it)

People laugh at reality all the time. You are welcome to join them.

As Ernst Mayr stated:

And?

In other words, if you are going to enter history as science then that opens wide the door to all history being used as science. ;)

Of course they teach them both. They just don't call them the same theory. Or perhaps the nuance is not deemed to be important at the junior high level so they don't differentiate. Probably differs from teacher to teacher. Either way, it's not Evolution's problem. Evolutionary theory is very clear on what it claims and doesn't claim. It makes no statements about the origin of lift (and the big bang doesn't fall into biology anyways), just the mechanism of speciation. Abiogenesis is interesting, but is decidedly more controversial with less data to support any current notions (i.e. primordial goo vs. RNA world, etc).

Finally, after being told this by me three separate times, you manage to get it. That is the difference. That is why ID is not scientific. The "creator" is supernatural. The scientific method makes no provisions for supernatural powers. Therefore, ID is not a legitimate scientific theory.

I am still curious how ID is "observable" while evolution is not (again, considering that they use the same mechanisms).

First, theology isn't history.

Second, you misunderstood what Mayr was saying. He was talking about the difference in the methodology and process studying evolution versus the more "bench science" oriented fields of Physics and Chemistry.

to the contrary, if there were something that distinguishes macro and micro evolution, there would be some genetic mechanism which prevents evolution at a smaller level from having larger scale effects over time. the fossil record is among many ways which scientists have observed that no such mechanism or barrier exists.

Forum List

Back