Intelligent Design: Extinct?

antagon

The Man
Dec 6, 2009
If Intelligent Design is not extinct, it is certainly an endangered species in the US. I find it quite ironic that a philosophy which opposes the validity of natural selection has apparently fallen victim to the survival of the fittest scientific explanation for the diversity and heredity of life on earth.

Following definitive defeat in federal court and with many religious folks disinterested in any pseudo-scientific explanations for biodiversity -- preferring science or the bible's contentions instead -- does the ID movement have any future in the US?

If Intelligent Design is not extinct, it is certainly an endangered species in the US. I find it quite ironic that a philosophy which opposes the validity of natural selection has apparently fallen victim to the survival of the fittest scientific explanation for the diversity and heredity of life on earth.

Following definitive defeat in federal court and with many religious folks disinterested in any pseudo-scientific explanations for biodiversity -- preferring science or the bible's contentions instead -- does the ID movement have any future in the US?

If there is any ID at all, it came when God said, "Let there be light" and created the physical universe and its laws. Everything thereafter has been the evolution of the universe, utilizing the rules in place.

I know, not long and science will be completely stamped out. All due to popular demand for a convenient lie.

Since when was a judge a scientist? Hmmm... oh yeah, screw that....

The words "intelligent design" as defined by the religious, deserve to be put in the same sentence, and be compared to, the Easter Bunny, Jesus being the son of a god, Allah being a god, The Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas, Buddha, and any other entity made up by the imaginations of man...

dunno, modo. its been such a flash in the pan, i dont think it should make the history books either.

If there is any ID at all, it came when God said, "Let there be light" and created the physical universe and its laws. Everything thereafter has been the evolution of the universe, utilizing the rules in place.

well, considering god is omniscient, omnipresent in time and space, omnipotent, etc, god could be micromanaging everyone's sperm count. whatever the case, science can reveal the physical nature of life, ID does the opposite and isn't science at all.

To believe that bronze age middle easterners who didn't know to wash after wiping had the answers to the beginning of the universe is ludicrous. There is no way to even begin to have such an argument.

As far as public-education science classes go: no, it's dead. i'm sure it will live on in sunday school and private schools with a religious bent.

unlike the theory of evolution, intelligent design doesn't meet the demands of the scientific method--it's an untestable hypothesis in that respect--so it shouldn't be taught in science classes that are funded with public dollars.

i think the shit was invented to infiltrate the public school system. having failed miserably, i couldn't imagine why a christian school would carry it in their curriculum instead of science and religion, both. worst of both worlds, really.

I don't think we've heard the last of it yet.

Consider the fact that ID is nothing more than repackaged Creationism, concocted after Creationism suffered similar legal defeats. The thumpers will just repackage it once more and try again. Afterall, they are doing God's work you know.

As far as public-education science classes go: no, it's dead. i'm sure it will live on in sunday school and private schools with a religious bent.

unlike the theory of evolution, intelligent design doesn't meet the demands of the scientific method--it's an untestable hypothesis in that respect--so it shouldn't be taught in science classes that are funded with public dollars.

You're wrong. The right wing only has to file lawsuits for court cases that public schools can't afford to fight. So instead of being put into that position, they just don't teach anything that "might" be controversial.

Instead they teach the kind of science you find in most Bible college. It's called "natural science" where they teach "bees pollinate flowers" and a kind of "simple science" that doesn't threaten "mystical and supernatural teachings".

You're wrong. The right wing only has to file lawsuits for court cases that public schools can't afford to fight. So instead of being put into that position, they just don't teach anything that "might" be controversial.

Instead they teach the kind of science you find in most Bible college. It's called "natural science" where they teach "bees pollinate flowers" and a kind of "simple science" that doesn't threaten "mystical and supernatural teachings".

I graduated from public high school in 2005, and that wasn't my experience with science class. I never felt like religion approached the lab, or that I was taught a watered-down version of science. I live in a liberal state--the only blue state in Regan's re-election, i think--so maybe that played a role.

I know. How dare them teach things that can actually be observed. We should be teaching them fairy tales like the easter bunny, the big bang, evolutionism, the nebular hypothesis, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:

Dover was I.D.'s Waterloo. Even I.D.'s main proponents knew that it was the wrong time and would end in a disaster.

Not that I am sorry for that bunch of dishonest hacks and their attempts to do a run-about on the scientific method with a theology based philosophical question.

I know, not long and science will be completely stamped out. All due to popular demand for a convenient lie.

Since when was a judge a scientist? Hmmm... oh yeah, screw that....

You might have a point if more than a handful of Scientists supported ID.

If this matter were purely put up to the scientific community I.D. would have never even gotten off the ground.

In fact, that is exactly what happened and is evidenced by I.D.'s absolute failure to be peer-reviewed and published. The one article they did get published was done so through obfuscation and was virtually immediately redacted by the magazine.

i think the shit was invented to infiltrate the public school system. having failed miserably, i couldn't imagine why a christian school would carry it in their curriculum instead of science and religion, both. worst of both worlds, really.

That's exactly why it was invented. Read "The Wedge Document" if you want to know the who, what, where, when, and why of Intelligent Design.

I know. How dare them teach things that can actually be observed. We should be teaching them fairy tales like the easter bunny, the big bang, evolutionism, the nebular hypothesis, etc. etc. etc.

If you are arguing that Evolution can't be observed, then I.D. sure as hell can't be observed since it utilizes the same mechanics of evolution to explain speciation and merely fills in the holes with a "God in the gaps" mentality.

New Topics

Forum List

Back