Intelligence

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
1)How do you know if someone intelligent?
2)How do you determine if they are educated?
3)Does earning degrees make one smart?
4)Does their ability to communicate make them intelligent?

I am interested in discussing intelligence. What does everyone think?

I am interested in discussing intelligence. What does everyone think?

It's not an "instant" thing. Knowing "stuff" doesn't translate to "intelligence". It could be merely the sign of a good memory. When they have insight that escapes me, then I conclude they might be intelligent or very intelligent. Anyone who believes in "mystical creation" gets an automatic "tard" mark in my book.

By how well they put that education to use.

In this day and age? Earning a degree is a very smart thing to do. Every study shows that those with degrees have much better jobs and make more money AND have a bigger feeling of satisfaction. When I moved from the Assembly Line to Engineering, I left on Friday as just another assembly line worker but I came in on Monday as Mr. D......

Also, the degree matters. A degree in Art doesn't carry much weight with me, but a degree in physics is altogether a different thing.

It gets me the way those who have no education say the more stupid things about the educated like, "I knew a guy that was a genius but didn't have the sense to come in out of the rain". They cling to this fantasy that smart people are all Forest Gump when it comes to everything else. It's not true.

Absolutely not, look at actors. Their job is to make people like them and pretend to be smart. The best actors are really good at both. Many times, outside of the spotlight, they are neither friendly nor smart. In 1975, before I went into the military, I auditioned and was accepted at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival for the summer season. In those days it was a West Coast hot spot of creativity. Some of the others that worked that year were William Hurt, Bruce Abbot, Jean Smart and several others who went on to successful careers on TV or in Movies. Once the season began and we started performing, I was eating at a restaurant and some strangers started pestering me to talk and sign autographs. It was awful. Some of the actors were terrible and very mean. None of the ones I mentioned. Except William Hurt. I don't know how he was. I never talked to him. The guy was incredibly shy and introverted. Never came to any of the events but was an incredibly talented hard working individual. However, after that experience, that was the end of my theatrical career. I actually joined the Army after that and had a much better time. It was both challenging and satisfying. And the GI Bill helped put me through college.

Two things that always seem to demand immediate respect in this country are being able to speak very good English and having a lot of money.

Forum List

Back