Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists.

Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.

13442954964991.jpg

See, me and the Republicans can agree on some things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes
Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact
Gordon Hodson and
Michael A. Busseri
Brock University
Gordon Hodson, Department of Psychology, Brock University, 500 Glenridge Ave., St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada L2S 3A1 E-mail: [email protected]
Abstract
Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

it would seem that prejudice is only one part of a whole host of inarticulate and unreasoned thinking in dull people. if you cannot visualize the alternatives, or carry an idea through to possible conclusions then you just "go with what you know".

based on the thesis of this paper, what prediction would we make on the attitudes of blacks towards homosexuality? how about black attitudes towards authoritarianism (eg, spanking)?

in well socialized young adults of moderate to high intelligence there is a typical pattern of starting off with highly liberal thinking that slowly transforms into conservative thinking as the person ages, due to experience and reality showing the downside of wishful thinking.

intelligent people often come to prejudicial conclusions not because of any ill will towards other groups but because of learning from experience and information.

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists.

Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.

yep racist are stupid
[ame=http://youtu.be/UEqa90XpPw0]Dr. Kamau Kambon wants to kill all white people - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I wonder if they studied the comments by the 'conservative' racists who post on this forum; lots of evidence suggesting this and other similar studies are spot on.
It's funny the way you morons pretend there's no liberal racism. :lol:

Here is a fine example to support the OP.
Really? Find a post of mine that's racist. Degree of difficulty: You have to use the REAL definition of "racist", not the progressive definition that says "it's racist because I disagree with it!!"

Hop to it, kid.

According to this absurd conclusion, the most conservative voting bloc in America should be blacks. They have the scientifically verified lowest average IQ (roughly 85) compared to a 100 white average. Yet they vote over 95% Democrat and of all of the demographic groups they are by far the most liberal. This engineered study does not withstand the evidence.

It's funny the way you morons pretend there's no liberal racism. :lol:

Really? Find a post of mine that's racist. Degree of difficulty: You have to use the REAL definition of "racist", not the progressive definition that says "it's racist because I disagree with it!!"

Hop to it, kid.

Well, you are intolerant of liberals & Democrats, so you're a bigot. That's a given. You are a conservative, which you proudly acknowledge. I've never read anything posted by you which suggests high or even bright normal intelligence. You appear to be one of those who simply support and parrot the GOP talking points, and have never in my experience demonstrated an inkling that your mind is open to new ideas.

Hop to it, kid.

Well, you are intolerant of liberals & Democrats, so you're a bigot. That's a given. You are a conservative, which you proudly acknowledge. I've never read anything posted by you which suggests high or even bright normal intelligence. You appear to be one of those who simply support and parrot the GOP talking points, and have never in my experience demonstrated an inkling that your mind is open to new ideas.

You do realize that considering how "intolerant" you are of those who disagree with you (conservatives) that makes you a bigot as well?

Everyones a bigot!

According to this absurd conclusion, the most conservative voting bloc in America should be blacks. They have the scientifically verified lowest average IQ (roughly 85) compared to a 100 white average. Yet they vote over 95% Democrat and of all of the demographic groups they are by far the most liberal. This engineered study does not withstand the evidence.

You really ought to get out more, and, maybe take a course in statistics. Middle class black Americans are generally socially conservative and as in any racial, ethnic, religious or political set will have a spread of measured IQ's peaking at 100. If they do not the test itself is either unreliable or invalid.

See: Reliability & Validity

Hop to it, kid.

You do realize that considering how "intolerant" you are of those who disagree with you (conservatives) that makes you a bigot as well?

Everyones a bigot!

Yep. I do not deny my intolerance of the far right. Anyone who has read my posts knows this and why.

Hop to it, kid.

:lmao:

You don't want me to think for myself, Fly Catcher. You want me to immediately and unquestioningly agree with your every grand pronouncement. And your estimation of my intelligence is based SOLELY on my political beliefs -- nothing more. For instance, do you think Truth Matters possesses high or even bright normal intelligence?

Answer that question honestly. If you can do anything honestly, that is.

Everyones a bigot!

Yep. I do not deny my intolerance of the far right. Anyone who has read my posts knows this and why.
Yes. It's because you cannot tolerate disagreement, nor those who do not share your lofty opinion of yourself.

Socially conservative, moron.

Forum List

Back