Intelligence Indicates Increased Activity around Missile Bases in North Korea

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Intelligence Indicates Increased Activity around Missile Bases in North Korea
Mystery persists about whether North Korea is planning to test-fire a missile. Intelligence reports have indicated increased missile-related activity in the North but the Pyongyang government calls the reports groundless.
Military vehicles carrying liquid fuel needed to launch Rodong missiles have been sighted at North Korean missile bases. According to Japan's Yomiuri Shimbun, the new data comes from Japanese EP-3 electronic surveillance aircraft as well as U.S. and Japanese reconnaissance satellites and wireless communications monitoring.

The bases are designed to fire both Daepodong-2 and Rodong missiles, which have a range of about 3,500 to 6,000 km in the case of the Daepodong-2 and 1,300 km for the mid-range Rodong missile. These missiles are said to be capable of striking parts of the United States and most of Asia.

Concerns regarding such military movements were reportedly conveyed to North Korea's Vice Foreign Minister Choe Su-hon by Japanese Foreign Minister Yoriko Kawaguchi at a reception on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York this past weekend.

The top Japanese diplomat pointed out any firing of missiles would be in breach of a moratorium on the launching of ballistic missiles that North Korea had promised to observe back in 2002.

In response Choe dismissed the reports as mere speculation. Yet, tensions in the region have been heightened with the North's Korean Central News Agency in turn claiming that Japan is "reviving its past military imperialism."

In a recent report, the agency cited Japan's easing of rules limiting military reinforcement and weapons exports as indications of Tokyo's intentions to dominate the region.

Will it be a test or will it be the real thing? My skepticism stems from the idea that I could not conceive the idea of terrorists flying planes into buildings ro kill 3000 innocent civilians. I cannot conceive the idea that North Korea would actually fire a missile with a nuke warhead but since 9/11 I would not put it past them.

Forum List

Back