Insurgents set aside rivalries on Afghan border

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
NYT: Afghan insurgents set aside rivalries - World news - The New York Times - msnbc.com
By THOM SHANKER
The New York Times

WASHINGTON — Rival militant organizations on both sides of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border have increasingly been teaming up in deadly raids, in what military and intelligence officials say is the insurgents’ latest attempt to regain the initiative after months of withering attacks from American and allied forces.

New intelligence assessments from the region assert that insurgent factions now are setting aside their historic rivalries to behave like “a syndicate,” joining forces in ways not seen before. After one recent attack on a remote base in eastern Afghanistan, a check of the dead insurgents found evidence that the fighters were from three different factions, military officials said.

In the past, these insurgent groups have been seen as sharing ideology and inspiration, but less often plans for specific missions.

Now the intelligence assessments offer evidence of a worrisome new trend in which extremist commanders and their insurgent organizations are coordinating attacks and even combining their foot soldiers into patchwork patrols sent to carry out specific raids.

The change reveals the resilience and flexibility of the militant groups. But at the same time, officials say, the unusual and expanding alliances suggest that the factions are feeling new military pressure. American and NATO officials say these decisions by insurgent leaders are the result of operations by American, Afghan and allied forces on one side of the border, and by the Pakistani military — and American drone strikes — on the other.

If these people that hold grudges for generations are working together....

It must mean they are near the breaking point. And this strategy plays into our hands. No longer will we have to chase down this small group then that small group. They are forming larger groups that come at us to get killed.

Looking good, this war could soon be over. :salute:

Thats not good.

Just what we need. All the dirtbags getting together as one.

Bring on the drones baby.

It must mean they are near the breaking point. And this strategy plays into our hands. No longer will we have to chase down this small group then that small group. They are forming larger groups that come at us to get killed.

Looking good, this war could soon be over.
No nitwit, it means that the groups are getting stronger and bolder.

And the war will only be over when we declare "Victory" like we did in Vietnam and leave. :cool:

Whilst I fully support the war on terror and served in it myself, what did Washington and London expect? Of course they would join forces eventually, because with such technologically advanced odds stacked against them, they had no choice but to put their differences aside and work together. It's called survival.

But, as Claudette said, keep hitting them until they're dust. And let's all look forward to the day when we've overcome the bearded cowards and the world's media focuses in on the ringleaders being lead from Globemasters in both the UK and the US, but not in handcuffs. No, they should be bound in heavy, conspicuous shackles.

Last edited:
This happened in Iraq too when things were really bad back in 2004, the Sunni and Shite insurgents joined forces to fight against the US in the first Fallujah battle. I don't think this means they are near the "breaking point" necessarily but I think it certainly means they feel the pressure from the increase of US troops and drone attacks.

And the war will only be over when we declare "Victory" like we did in Vietnam and leave. :cool:

Nitwit?

come now. Your a better person than to stoop to name calling.

When was the last time muslim tribes banded together? I'd be willing to bet is was the last time they were desperate.

Just like now.

Nitwit?

When was the last time muslim tribes banded together? I'd be willing to bet is was the last time they were desperate.

Just like now.

These Muslim tribes wouldn't come together like this unless they felt the pressure, otherwise they would have been working together years ago.

Nitwit?

Just like now.

These Muslim tribes wouldn't come together like this unless they felt the pressure, otherwise they would have been working together years ago.

I gues we finally killed enough of them that they can finally over look what thier great, great ,great, great grandfathers did to each others camels.

Nitwit?

Just like now.

I gues we finally killed enough of them that they can finally over look what thier great, great ,great, great grandfathers did to each others camels.

The pressure needs to be kept on though, these guys have no problem sacrificing themselves for their cause.

NYT: Afghan insurgents set aside rivalries - World news - The New York Times - msnbc.com
By THOM SHANKER
The New York Times

WASHINGTON — Rival militant organizations on both sides of the Afghanistan-Pakistan border have increasingly been teaming up in deadly raids, in what military and intelligence officials say is the insurgents’ latest attempt to regain the initiative after months of withering attacks from American and allied forces.

New intelligence assessments from the region assert that insurgent factions now are setting aside their historic rivalries to behave like “a syndicate,” joining forces in ways not seen before. After one recent attack on a remote base in eastern Afghanistan, a check of the dead insurgents found evidence that the fighters were from three different factions, military officials said.

In the past, these insurgent groups have been seen as sharing ideology and inspiration, but less often plans for specific missions.

Now the intelligence assessments offer evidence of a worrisome new trend in which extremist commanders and their insurgent organizations are coordinating attacks and even combining their foot soldiers into patchwork patrols sent to carry out specific raids.

The change reveals the resilience and flexibility of the militant groups. But at the same time, officials say, the unusual and expanding alliances suggest that the factions are feeling new military pressure. American and NATO officials say these decisions by insurgent leaders are the result of operations by American, Afghan and allied forces on one side of the border, and by the Pakistani military — and American drone strikes — on the other.

If these people that hold grudges for generations are working together....

Looking good, this war could soon be over. :salute:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

The last time they pulled together was right before they defeated the Soviet Union. :cool:

Don't forget the heavy involvement of U.S. forces/weapons on their side to help defeat the Soviets. I'm sure other countries are probably helping them, but nothing on the level of what the U.S. did in the '80s.

The last time they pulled together was right before they defeated the Soviet Union. :cool:

Don't forget the heavy involvement of U.S. forces/weapons on their side to help defeat the Soviets. I'm sure other countries are probably helping them, but nothing on the level of what the U.S. did in the '80s.

Iran is backing the Taliban and they are training them as well. Same thing they did in Iraq.

Iranians train Taliban to use roadside bombs - Times Online

Iran is backing the Taliban and they are training them as well. Same thing they did in Iraq.

Yup, we already been in a proxy war with Iran for years now....we need to just do it already.......

Yup, we already been in a proxy war with Iran for years now....we need to just do it already.......

Iran does not like the Taliban but, they do want us to succeed in Iraq or Afghanistan because the Ayatollahs in Tehran are scared that if we succeeded to quickly in those countries, we would come knocking on their door next. They aided both insurgencies in Iraq and Afghanistan to keep us bogged down and too busy to focus on them.

Forum List

Back