Insurance mandate: Should the healthy pay for irresponsibility?

90% of whom are covered by their employers' provided policy and are quite happy with it.
What was your point again?

Yes, we sure can trust our employers to make healthcare decisions for us. More and more employers are cutting down to bare-bones policies or finding ways to cut insurance entirely. Even those wonderful employer provided plans involve higher copays.
Go for surgery and come out with a $125,000 bill. Your 15% copay comes out to be $18,000.
An $18,000 medical bill is peanuts to people like you and I, but if you make $30,000 a year it is devastating

Good. So you support the GOP plan which empowers workers to have more control over their own health insurance.
I am surprised at how many liberals here really are Republicans and didnt even know it.

Yes I do support that. But not just workers employed by someone else but all Americans. Insurance should be issued to the person and not to a company that has a defined pool of employees. The insurance pool should be 300 million Americans.
That way your insurance would be completely portable and you would not be restricted from changing jobs because you are afraid to lose your insurance

Yes, we sure can trust our employers to make healthcare decisions for us. More and more employers are cutting down to bare-bones policies or finding ways to cut insurance entirely. Even those wonderful employer provided plans involve higher copays.
Go for surgery and come out with a $125,000 bill. Your 15% copay comes out to be $18,000.
An $18,000 medical bill is peanuts to people like you and I, but if you make $30,000 a year it is devastating

Good. So you support the GOP plan which empowers workers to have more control over their own health insurance.
I am surprised at how many liberals here really are Republicans and didnt even know it.

Yes I do support that. But not just workers employed by someone else but all Americans. Insurance should be issued to the person and not to a company that has a defined pool of employees. The insurance pool should be 300 million Americans.
That way your insurance would be completely portable and you would not be restricted from changing jobs because you are afraid to lose your insurance

Good. So you support "single payer" as well. Here "single payer" would be the actual insured, the individual.
You're sounding more Rightwing all the time.

How much should the rest of us have to pay for the Inevitable Health Disaster of this Fat Fatty:

4435015653_7af826ba01_o.jpg

An obese mother in the US is trying to put on weight in order to become the world's fattest woman.

Donna Simpson, from New Jersey, weighs 273kg but told the Daily Mail newspaper she had her heart set on reaching her goal weight of 1000lb (450kg) in two years.

The 42-year-old already holds the title of the world's fattest mother after giving birth to her daughter in 2007 when she weighed 241kg.

"I'd love to be 1000lb ... it might be hard though, running after my daughter keeps my weight down," Ms Simpson told the Daily Mail.

Ms Simpson, who needs a mobility scooter to go shopping, eats huge amounts of junk food each week and tries to move as little as possible so she doesn't burn off as many calories.

"I do love cakes and sweet things, doughnuts are my favourite," she said. ...

Woman aims to become world's fattest

I thought goal setting was a good thing?
Ohh well kinda like PDS I suppose.

How much should the rest of us have to pay for the Inevitable Health Disaster of this Fat Fatty:

An obese mother in the US is trying to put on weight in order to become the world's fattest woman.

Donna Simpson, from New Jersey, weighs 273kg but told the Daily Mail newspaper she had her heart set on reaching her goal weight of 1000lb (450kg) in two years.

The 42-year-old already holds the title of the world's fattest mother after giving birth to her daughter in 2007 when she weighed 241kg.

"I'd love to be 1000lb ... it might be hard though, running after my daughter keeps my weight down," Ms Simpson told the Daily Mail.

Ms Simpson, who needs a mobility scooter to go shopping, eats huge amounts of junk food each week and tries to move as little as possible so she doesn't burn off as many calories.

So you think the rest of us should pay for the results of this woman's suicidal behavior?

Your moral relativism is very telling.

Good. So you support "single payer" as well. Here "single payer" would be the actual insured, the individual.
You're sounding more Rightwing all the time.

Yes. A single payer should be able to go to any insurer and get the same policy at the same rate as someone who works for a big company or belongs to a union. If his employer chooses to kick in money, then good for him. He should not have to work for a single company to merit insurance.
For those unable to pay, the Government should subsidize.
All Americans should be insured, even if they are too stupid to realize it

So you think the rest of us should pay for the results of this woman's suicidal behavior?

Yes and we should insure the stupid bitch who has anorexia too

dup post

Last edited:

And here we see the Soul of Progressive Ideology.

Health insurance is not health care - it won't improve people's lives if there providers are scarce and resources are rationed by long waiting lists.

But you think the people are too stupid to realize the bait and switch.

The problem is...we ALL pay for the uninsured when they do get sick or injured and can't afford to be repaired except in an emergency room because they don't think they should have to pay for the health problems of others - frequently cloaked in the guise of "why should I have to pay for the unhealthy choices of others". Not having insurance might be just such an "unhealthy choice".

And here we see the Soul of Progressive Ideology.

Health insurance is not health care - it won't improve people's lives if there providers are scarce and resources are rationed by long waiting lists.

But you think the people are too stupid to realize the bait and switch.

Bait and switch?

How about slippery slope fallacy? Health insurance is intertwined with healthcare these days.

No - abusing food, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and avoiding exercise are unhealthy choices.

It's perfectly valid for a healthy person to decide that the cost of having insurance is not worth it. One major plank of ObamaCare is to force healthy, young people to pay far more for health insurance than is justified by the benefit they will receive in order to subsidize those who abuse their health and the elderly.

We could just come up with another complicated regiment of regulations to ensure that the system doesn't get "gamed" by this upstanding citizen.

Yes and we should insure the stupid bitch who has anorexia too

They always bring up obesity. Sadly - it has the moral value imposed on it of being "choice" and it's sufferers despised in our culture. I have yet to see that same morality levied on being too thin.

About as telling as your lack of perception?

No - abusing food, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and avoiding exercise are unhealthy choices.

It's perfectly valid for a healthy person to decide that the cost of having insurance is not worth it.

Valid, until someone else has to pay for that "choice".

One major plank of ObamaCare is to force healthy, young people to pay far more for health insurance than is justified by the benefit they will receive in order to subsidize those who abuse their health and the elderly.

That is the way insurance already works.

Bait and switch?

How about slippery slope fallacy? Health insurance is intertwined with healthcare these days.

And that is the problem. Why do you automatically assume that Health Insurance and Health Care must be conjoined?

Whole Foods has an excellent model of generous HSAs that employees use for routine care supplemented with catastrophic insurance. The cost of having insurance companies monitor people getting such things as allergy prescriptions refilled is expensive. We could "bend the cost curve down" if individuals paid for routine care out of an HSA (especially if surpluses rolled over and accumulated into a health care rainy day fund).

It's perfectly valid for a healthy person to decide that the cost of having insurance is not worth it.

One major plank of ObamaCare is to force healthy, young people to pay far more for health insurance than is justified by the benefit they will receive in order to subsidize those who abuse their health and the elderly.

No, insurance is voluntary. The government forcing individuals to purchase something against their wills is not insurance - it is coercion.

...but it's not forced today. If someone doesn't want to have health insurance, then they don't have to.

...but it's not forced today. If someone doesn't want to have health insurance, then they don't have to.

No - it is not forced and that is partly why premiums keep going up - there aren't enough healthy people paying in and, if you force insurance companies to take pre-existing conditions without requiring healthy people to pay in - the costs for the insured will skyrocket.

And the uninsured? Well....there is always the emergency room and they can't be turned away if they can not pay the costs of a catastrophic illness.

Someone has to pay.

No, insurance is voluntary. The government forcing individuals to purchase something against their wills is not insurance - it is coercion.

As I said, someone has to pay. As someone with insurance, I'm darn sick of paying for the uninsured. Coercion.

New Topics

Forum List

Back