Instructions: How To Use "Racist"

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Since David Weigel has been fired from the WaPo, many of the emails of the Journolist listserv group have come to light.

The following documents what many of us on the right have claimed about the machinations of the corrupt left wing press.

1....in mid-April, 2008, at an ABC News debate moderated by Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos. Gibson asked Obama why it had taken him so long – nearly a year since Wright’s remarks became public – to dissociate himself from them. Watching this all at home were members of Journolist, a listserv comprised of several hundred liberal journalists, as well as like-minded professors and activists. The tough questioning from the ABC anchors left many of them outraged.

2 …at several points during the 2008 presidential campaign a group of liberal journalists took radical steps to protect their favored candidate. Employees of news organizations including Time, Politico, the Huffington Post, the Baltimore Sun, the Guardian, Salon and the New Republic participated in outpourings of anger over how Obama had been treated in the media, and in some cases plotted to fix the damage....….a campaign by professional journalists to tell ABC not to ask tough questions about a candidate’s links to radicals…

3. Spencer Ackerman of the Washington Independent urged his colleagues to deflect attention from Obama’s relationship with Wright by changing the subject. Pick one of Obama’s conservative critics, Ackerman wrote, “Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists.”...

4. Ackerman appealed to the other members of the Journolist group: “If the right forces us all to either defend Wright or tear him down, no matter what we choose, we lose the game they’ve put upon us. Instead, take one of them — Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists. Ask: why do they have such a deep-seated problem with a black politician who unites the country? What lurks behind those problems? This makes *them* sputter with rage, which in turn leads to overreaction and self-destruction.”

5. Ackerman wasn’t talking about a strategy to expose real racists, in the media or anywhere else. The Washington Independent reporter wanted to conduct a campaign against any figure on the Right, including journalists like Fred Barnes, to smear him as a racist for the political purposes of electing a Democrat to the White House. Notice that Ackerman doesn’t even bother to ask people to look for actual evidence of racism, but just suggests to pick a conservative name out of a hat.

6. It certainly puts efforts by the Left to paint the Tea Party as racist in an entirely new light. It also calls into question the ethics and judgment of anyone who participated in that Ackerman thread.
Hot Air Daily Caller discovers Journolist plot to spike Wright story, smear conservatives as racists

We ought to be using the term 'prejudice' or 'bigotry' instead of racism. I think it's unfortunate PC that you view the world in terms of right and left stereotypes.

Last edited:
We ought to be using the term 'prejudice' or 'bigotry' instead of racism. I think it's unfortunate PC that you view the world in terms of right and left stereotypes.

Prejudice and/or bigotry goes beyond "racism" in its use. Being "PC" is not a matter of left and right stereotypes but is, underneath it all, is something of a Gag Order on freedom of speech. A person can only use certain terminology that is "acceptable" language or words instead of what's really on their minds.

Prejudice and/or bigotry goes beyond "racism" in its use. Being "PC" is not a matter of left and right stereotypes but is, underneath it all, is something of a Gag Order on freedom of speech. A person can only use certain terminology that is "acceptable" language or words instead of what's really on their minds.

I haven't noticed anyone on this board being particularly PC. Anything goes. How much looser do you need it?

This, from the OP:
"...members of Journolist, a listserv comprised of several hundred liberal journalists,..."

"...like-minded professors and activists..."

"...a group of liberal journalists took radical steps ..."

"...Pick one of Obama’s conservative critics..."

"...If the right forces us all ...."

"...a campaign against any figure on the Right..."

"...purposes of electing a Democrat ..."

"...suggests to pick a conservative name out of a hat...."

None of the above are my words, but rather from the article. You did read the article before posting, didn't you?

Well, re-reading it, I wonder how I could ever have seen this expose as one of " in terms of right and left..."

Could you help me to find the other aspects of the article that I might have missed?

Forum List

Back