Instead of "You Lie". This time its "Not True" by Justice Alito in Audience.

Boo Hoo! He said bad things about their horrid decision. Boo Hoo! Make him STOOOOOOP!!!!!:(

No... He should continue making an Ass out of Himself. It was a poor speech, that's not criminal, just sad.

No, it was not a bad speech. But, of course, when I see people putting the speech down EVEN BEFORE he gives it, do you really think we believe you guys listened with an impartial ear? :lol:

and you think he uttered it with an impartial tongue?? :lol:

It is amazing to Me how far People will go in avoiding the obvious harms that befall Us everyday, sometimes even with the simplest remedies at hand. Where are We as a People when it comes to Election Fraud, in relation to Positive Picture ID required to Vote, or Insurances against Absentee Voter Fraud? It is mindless.

No... He should continue making an Ass out of Himself. It was a poor speech, that's not criminal, just sad.

No, it was not a bad speech. But, of course, when I see people putting the speech down EVEN BEFORE he gives it, do you really think we believe you guys listened with an impartial ear? :lol:

and you think he uttered it with an impartial tongue?? :lol:

What gets Me most of the time is how long it takes Him to contradict Everything He says. Not if, but when. It's funny too how when the Democrats Campaign, sometimes they start sounding more conservative than the Conservatives. As sad as that is, sometimes it really makes me laugh. Confusing the issues, manipulating the sheep, Building the Empire of The State, saying one thing and doing another. Each strategic move a step closer to Totalitarianism. Just remember to keep them Dependant. Carrot and the stick. Work on that Pavlovian Response. Yes Sir! How High! The Evils of Value for Value, the Industrial Revolution, and the Free Market! Only the State can save Us from Ourselves! Yes Sir! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What our good friend barry forgets that the only law that matters is the one written in the constitution. It is not possible to undo that law with anything written in the constitution.

What our good friend barry forgets that the only law that matters is the one written in the constitution. It is not possible to undo that law with anything written in the constitution.

The Supreme Court actually somewhat changed the Founders' intent in the Constitution when it allowed Congress to redefine the 'general welfare' clause and raise taxes according to its redefinition. I can look up the specific ruling--can't recall the name of it off the top of my head.

So, I think we do need another SCOTUS ruling to put the general welfare clause back into its original context. What we need to do is a constitutional amendment specifically defining the general welfare clause and forbidding Congress from using tax payer monies collected to benefit any individual, group, entity, or organization in a way that does not benefit all. That would prohibit the Federal government from using taxpayer moeny as charity or benevolence in any form. Existing entitlements would be phased out slowly and steadily, just as they have accrued, to avoid undue hardship on those the government has made dependent on them.

And THAT would stop any individual, organization, group, or entity from being able to buy government favors that benefitted them and not their competitors. And it wouldn't matter how much anybody contributed to a political candidate or political party at the Federal level.

Last edited:
Corporations are made up of people. I have more of a problem with union thugs

People are forgetting the basics of our Constitutional rights. Shees

How many unions have killed millions of humans, fowl and fish?

Wow, I guess even birds and fish are stupid 'libs'...they just play dead for political gain and sympathy

Wow, I guess even birds and fish are stupid 'libs'...they just play dead for political gain and sympathy

If I might make a gentle constructive suggestion it would be that you look up the definition of 'red herring' and 'non sequitur' before posting again.

This was definitely a faux pas on the part of Obama. I haven't read the decision yet, but I will. However, I will say this. It is not uncommon for supreme court cases to be flagrantly misrepresented. And most people are none the wiser because they believe the media and don't have a clue how to read a case for themselves.

The whole little scene was unseemly. Didn't we used to have a chief of protocol who kept such shit from happening? I don't remember this kind of attacks in my younger years.

Obama is a member of the bar and the practice of law is regulated by the judiciary. He is young and unwise in this regard. :cuckoo:

Last edited:

If You ever find out the Truth They will have to Kill You. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don't piss off the Chicago Families what ever You do.

If I might make a gentle constructive suggestion it would be that you look up the definition of 'red herring' and 'non sequitur' before posting again.

Hey asshole...want to call my former co-worker's family and talk to them about the cancer rate in their neighborhood near Tonawanda Coke?

Oh you can't, they died...................from cancer...

Tonawanda Coke's "Cancer Causing" Kamholz Arrested By Feds
Written by Glenn Gramigna, Editor

US ATTORNEY ANNOUNCES ARREST OF TONAWANDA COKE ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL MANAGER FOR CLEAN AIR ACT VIOLATIONS...CHARGES CARRY FIVE YEAR PENALTY...WILL KAMHOLZ NOW ROLL ON TONAWANDA COKE OWNER CRANE?

On Wednesday, federal and state agents led by the Buffalo US Attorney's Office, conducted a surprise raid on Tonawanda Coke, according to the DEC, the primary reason why the cancer causing benzene rate in WNY's air is 75 times what is considered an acceptable level. The following is the local US Attorney's news release on this subject:

BUFFALO, N.Y.--A criminal complaint and arrest warrant have been issued charging Mark L. Kamholz, 62, of West Seneca, NY, with violating the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and the Clean Air Act, announced U.S. Attorney Kathleen M. Mehltretter of the Western District of New York. The charges carry a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment, a fine of $50,000 per day of violation, or both.

----------------------------------------------------
Want to go fishing at some beautiful lakes that are so secluded you can't reach by vehicle?

Oh, no fish..... they're DEAD lakes...

ACID RAIN IN THE ADIRONDACKS
An Environmental History
Cornell Uviversity

Acid Rain and the Adirondack Lakes

Are lakes in the Adirondacks still suffering from damage caused by acid rain? A new survey shows that lake water quality is still poor in the region, decades after the passage of the Clean Air Act. The study shows that with the passage of more environmental laws, it could still be more than a century for the lakes to fully heal from acid rain and other environmental impacts.

Acid Rain Contaminating Adirondack Streams
Posted on Monday, 15 of December , 2008 at 3:52 pm

ALBANY– A new scientific study of streams in the western region of the Adirondack Mountains has found that two-thirds of them are harmed by acid rain produced by the burning of fossil fuels, New York state and federal officials announced. This equates to 450 miles of acidified streams.

This study, published in the October-November issue of the Journal of Environmental Quality, is the first-ever regional assessment of streams to include episodic acidification — short-term pulses of acidity that occur during high stream flows.

It was conducted jointly by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), the Adirondack Lakes Survey Corporation, and the University of Texas at Arlington. Primary funding was provided by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).

Supporting data was provided by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute through its Adirondack Effects Assessment Program. Copies of the final report of this study are available at: NYSERDA - EMEP: Publications

Hey asshole...want to call my former co-worker's family and talk to them about the cancer rate in their neighborhood near Tonawanda Coke?

US ATTORNEY ANNOUNCES ARREST OF TONAWANDA COKE ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL MANAGER FOR CLEAN AIR ACT VIOLATIONS...CHARGES CARRY FIVE YEAR PENALTY...WILL KAMHOLZ NOW ROLL ON TONAWANDA COKE OWNER CRANE?

On Wednesday, federal and state agents led by the Buffalo US Attorney's Office, conducted a surprise raid on Tonawanda Coke, according to the DEC, the primary reason why the cancer causing benzene rate in WNY's air is 75 times what is considered an acceptable level. The following is the local US Attorney's news release on this subject:

BUFFALO, N.Y.--A criminal complaint and arrest warrant have been issued charging Mark L. Kamholz, 62, of West Seneca, NY, with violating the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and the Clean Air Act, announced U.S. Attorney Kathleen M. Mehltretter of the Western District of New York. The charges carry a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment, a fine of $50,000 per day of violation, or both.

Want to go fishing at some beautiful lakes that are so secluded you can't reach by vehicle?

An Environmental History
Cornell Uviversity

Are lakes in the Adirondacks still suffering from damage caused by acid rain? A new survey shows that lake water quality is still poor in the region, decades after the passage of the Clean Air Act. The study shows that with the passage of more environmental laws, it could still be more than a century for the lakes to fully heal from acid rain and other environmental impacts.

ALBANY– A new scientific study of streams in the western region of the Adirondack Mountains has found that two-thirds of them are harmed by acid rain produced by the burning of fossil fuels, New York state and federal officials announced. This equates to 450 miles of acidified streams.

This study, published in the October-November issue of the Journal of Environmental Quality, is the first-ever regional assessment of streams to include episodic acidification — short-term pulses of acidity that occur during high stream flows.

It was conducted jointly by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), the Adirondack Lakes Survey Corporation, and the University of Texas at Arlington. Primary funding was provided by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA).

Supporting data was provided by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute through its Adirondack Effects Assessment Program. Copies of the final report of this study are available at: NYSERDA - EMEP: Publications

I stumbled across this checking out your Link.

1-1
1 Introduction
1.1 Background
Mercury concentrations in many regions of the globe have risen as a result of industrial activities
(Munthe et al. 2007). Mercury contamination can occur as a localized issue near industrial
releases and as a longer range transboundary issue arising from atmospheric emissions, transport
and deposition. While most of the mercury (Hg) released to the environment is inorganic, a small
but important fraction is converted by bacteria to methylmercury (MeHg), a toxic form that
bioaccumulates through aquatic food webs to fish, which are the primary exposure pathway for
methylmercury in humans and many wildlife species.
The discovery of elevated mercury levels in fish from remote lakes led the regulatory community
to devote increased attention to mercury cycling and accumulation (e.g. WHO 1990, Porcella
1994, US EPA 1997 and 2001a). Much research has been undertaken in the past two decades to
better understand factors explaining elevated fish mercury concentrations in remote areas. Fewer
studies conducted to-date have investigated mercury cycling in temperate drainage lakewatershed
systems, which comprise over 85 percent of the lakes in the Adirondacks. Improved
understanding of mercury cycling in uplands and wetlands is important because terrestrial
mercury loads typically exceed direct deposition rates to lakes. Previous research has indicated
that terrestrial and wetland processes play a vital role in determining the aqueous chemical
characteristics and fish tissue mercury concentrations in these types of systems (Driscoll, et al.
1994a, b, c). Without research in temperate drainage lake systems, the benefits of emissions
controls in these types of systems are uncertain.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) set the Action Level for mercury in fish involved
in interstate commerce at 1 ppm (wet weight basis). Above this level, fish cannot be sold in
interstate commerce. The equivalent standard in Canada is 0.5 ppm, as it is for the World Health
Organization (WHO, 1990). To protect the human population, the USEPA established a MeHg
criterion for fish tissue at 0.3 μg/g under Section 304(a) of the Clean Water Act (USEPA 2001b).
As of 2006, 3,080 fish consumption advisories due to Hg contamination had been issued for 48
states, including 34 statewide advisories for freshwaters and 12 statewide advisories for coastal
waters, and one territory. These advisories represent approximately 56,800 km2 of lakes and
1,420,991 km of rivers (US EPA 2007). The number of advisories is increasing with time,
although this is due at least partly to more sites being sampled (Wiener, et al. 2003). Based on the
FDA action level, the New York State Department of Health (NYDOH) issued health advisories
for several lakes in the Adirondacks indicating that eating more than one meal per month of fish
caught in these lakes may be hazardous to human health.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYDEC) began monitoring
fish and wildlife for mercury and organic compounds in the early 1970s under the Statewide
Toxic Substances Monitoring Program (STSMP) and other, smaller projects. Samples were
collected from surface waters throughout the state. However, sampling locations and methods
varied considerably from year-to-year. Much of the sampling effort was focused on large water
bodies such as Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and Lake Champlain. Only 12 Adirondack lakes were
sampled, but 8 of those 12 had fish containing over one ppm mercury (Boulton and Hetling 1972;
NYDEC, 1981, 1982, 1987).

http://www.nyserda.org/publications/Report 08-21 Mercury in Adirondack Wetlands 7-09 - web.pdf

I really think that the high road here is coming into compliance with necessary reform, that is the fruit of Scientific Research. The point here is not whether the problem is Labor, Management, or Government, which all benefit from production, but conforming what We do, to be more, on the solution side of the equation. The Earth is a Temple, It's sacred and should be treated respectfully. You have no problem with Me there. Have You seen any use of Algae or Spirulina, in cleanup in lakes, or ponds up there?

An Environmental History
Cornell Uviversity

I stumbled across this checking out your Link.

1-1
1 Introduction
1.1 Background
Mercury concentrations in many regions of the globe have risen as a result of industrial activities
(Munthe et al. 2007). Mercury contamination can occur as a localized issue near industrial
releases and as a longer range transboundary issue arising from atmospheric emissions, transport
and deposition. While most of the mercury (Hg) released to the environment is inorganic, a small
but important fraction is converted by bacteria to methylmercury (MeHg), a toxic form that
bioaccumulates through aquatic food webs to fish, which are the primary exposure pathway for
methylmercury in humans and many wildlife species.
The discovery of elevated mercury levels in fish from remote lakes led the regulatory community
to devote increased attention to mercury cycling and accumulation (e.g. WHO 1990, Porcella
1994, US EPA 1997 and 2001a). Much research has been undertaken in the past two decades to
better understand factors explaining elevated fish mercury concentrations in remote areas. Fewer
studies conducted to-date have investigated mercury cycling in temperate drainage lakewatershed
systems, which comprise over 85 percent of the lakes in the Adirondacks. Improved
understanding of mercury cycling in uplands and wetlands is important because terrestrial
mercury loads typically exceed direct deposition rates to lakes. Previous research has indicated
that terrestrial and wetland processes play a vital role in determining the aqueous chemical
characteristics and fish tissue mercury concentrations in these types of systems (Driscoll, et al.
1994a, b, c). Without research in temperate drainage lake systems, the benefits of emissions
controls in these types of systems are uncertain.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) set the Action Level for mercury in fish involved
in interstate commerce at 1 ppm (wet weight basis). Above this level, fish cannot be sold in
interstate commerce. The equivalent standard in Canada is 0.5 ppm, as it is for the World Health
Organization (WHO, 1990). To protect the human population, the USEPA established a MeHg
criterion for fish tissue at 0.3 μg/g under Section 304(a) of the Clean Water Act (USEPA 2001b).
As of 2006, 3,080 fish consumption advisories due to Hg contamination had been issued for 48
states, including 34 statewide advisories for freshwaters and 12 statewide advisories for coastal
waters, and one territory. These advisories represent approximately 56,800 km2 of lakes and
1,420,991 km of rivers (US EPA 2007). The number of advisories is increasing with time,
although this is due at least partly to more sites being sampled (Wiener, et al. 2003). Based on the
FDA action level, the New York State Department of Health (NYDOH) issued health advisories
for several lakes in the Adirondacks indicating that eating more than one meal per month of fish
caught in these lakes may be hazardous to human health.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYDEC) began monitoring
fish and wildlife for mercury and organic compounds in the early 1970s under the Statewide
Toxic Substances Monitoring Program (STSMP) and other, smaller projects. Samples were
collected from surface waters throughout the state. However, sampling locations and methods
varied considerably from year-to-year. Much of the sampling effort was focused on large water
bodies such as Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and Lake Champlain. Only 12 Adirondack lakes were
sampled, but 8 of those 12 had fish containing over one ppm mercury (Boulton and Hetling 1972;
NYDEC, 1981, 1982, 1987).

http://www.nyserda.org/publications/Report 08-21 Mercury in Adirondack Wetlands 7-09 - web.pdf

I really think that the high road here is coming into compliance with necessary reform, that is the fruit of Scientific Research. The point here is not whether the problem is Labor, Management, or Government, which all benefit from production, but conforming what We do, to be more, on the solution side of the equation. The Earth is a Temple, It's sacred and should be treated respectfully. You have no problem with Me there. Have You seen any use of Algae or Spirulina, in cleanup in lakes, or ponds up there?

Environmental Impacts of Acid Deposition: Lakes
Environmental Impacts of Acid Deposition: Lakes - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

logo.gif

Bush's sorry environmental record

by Former EPA Administrator Russell Train and former New Hampshire State Senator Rick Russman, both REP members
published September 23, 2004 in the Concord (NH) Monitor

Except in a few instances, the environmental policies of the Bush administration are a disgrace.

As lifelong Republicans who have worked for decades to protect and restore clean air and clean water, we find the turning back of the environmental clock by this administration profoundly disturbing. And New Hampshire suffers from these backward policies.

Republican President Richard Nixon created the Environmental Protection Agency. In his 1970 State of the Union message, he called the environmental cause "as fundamental as life itself." With bipartisan leadership in Congress, Nixon initiated many of the environmental protections we enjoy today.

Republican President George H.W. Bush signed the Clean Air Act of 1990, one of the most protective environmental statutes.

Unfortunately, President George W. Bush's administration is reversing course from 30 years of bipartisan leadership to protect our health and environment.

The administration's policies to promote energy, mining and timber interests with little regard for the interests of common citizens represent a throwback to an era of exploitation. The administration's assault on the environment has increased pollution and health threats in New Hampshire, according to a report by Environment2004.

The administration weakened the Clean Air Act to allow aging power plants to continue spewing sulfur, mercury and other contaminants into the skies. These end up in New Hampshire's air and waters. This pollution from Midwestern power plants and other sources forms smog that threatens the 65,000 New Hampshire residents who suffer from asthma. It falls as acid rain that damages New Hampshire's forests and waters.

Mercury pollution has forced New Hampshire to establish a fish consumption advisory that covers all its lakes and rivers. Infants, children, pregnant women and women of child-bearing age are particularly vulnerable to mercury. Mercury affects a child's ability to learn, most notably impairing memory, attention and fine motor function.

New Hampshire's drinking water is threatened by the Bush administration. Fifteen percent of New Hampshire's public water supplies and thousands of its private wells are contaminated by the fuel additive MtBE. Recent studies show that MtBE may cause cancer, and it makes drinking water smell and taste foul even at low levels, yet the administration has not banned its use.

To pay for the cleanup of this contamination, New Hampshire sued 22 oil companies responsible for MtBE contamination. Nonetheless, the Bush administration's energy bill would block these suits and force New Hampshire taxpayers to foot the bill for cleaning up the state's contaminated drinking water. The industry contributed $338,000 to the Bush presidential campaign and Republican congressional candidates in 1999 and 2000.

Republican Sens. Judd Gregg and John Sununu fervently oppose this policy.

The administration has adopted these and other policies based on the advice of its industry allies instead of the EPA's scientists and experts. Its proposed mercury policy would delay significant mercury reduction until 2018. This was lifted from the utility industry's recommendations while the administration ignored the EPA's children's health protection experts.

This is but one example of the administration disregarding scientific guidance - a radical change from previous Republican and Democratic administrations.

The scientific community is alarmed by the Bush administration's widespread rejection of sound science. The Union of Concerned Scientists, a nationwide organization of eminent scientists declared: "When scientific knowledge has been found to be in conflict with its political goals, the administration has often manipulated the process through which science enters into its decisions."More recently, 48 Nobel Prize-winning scientists wrote in an open letter to the American people that the administration "has ignored unbiased scientific advice in the policy-making that is so important to our collective welfare."

There was no mandate in the 2000 election to weaken and undo our environmental and public health protections. In this year's election, environmental policy needs a full public debate.
Bush's sorry environmental record, Russell Train and Rick Russman

Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Court Guts Acid Rain Clean Air Rules
Adirondack Almanack: Court Guts Acid Rain Clean Air Rules

"We didn't inherit this land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Lakota Sioux Proverb

There were no corporations when they wrote the Constitution. So to provide this protection now is to revise the original meaning of the Constitution.

Your side is so full of bullshit about protection the original intent.

First if that was directed at me Ray, I might point out one that comes to mind at the time our nation was founded was the Dutch East India Company which was established in 1602 more than a few years prior to the founding of our nation. The other thing I will point out is my side is the American side. One more thing I will add as well, as I have many postings on this subject as to my own opinion on this decision and am prety clear where I stand on this subject and would be happy to express that anytime. You might be surprised as not everyone fits so neatly into sides.

Last edited:
Five to Four. Five to Four. Five to Four. CU v. FEC was not Nine to Zero; Alito's opinion is that, an opinon. His behavior tonight was, is, and will always be contemptible.
By showing partisanship he violated that which a judge must be, and dishonered every man and women who wears the robe.

What about your President who called out our SUPREME COURT JUSTICES in order to humilate and denigrate them in front of a NATIONAL AUDIENCE. That is un-precendented in history and demonstrates Obama's total lack of humility and respect for our constitution and the people who enforce those laws.

Obama is an arrogant self-serving, egotistical man who does not deserve the respect of those he attacks.

http://online.worldmag.com/2010/01/22/corporations-have-first-amendment-rights/

I thought the way Chief Justice John Roberts worded it in his opinion was more vivid:

The Government urges us in this case to uphold a direct prohibition on political speech. It asks us to embrace a theory of the First Amendment that would allow censorship not only of television and radio broadcasts, but of pamphlets, posters, the Internet, and virtually any other medium that corporations and unions might find useful in expressing their views on matters of public concern. Its theory, if accepted, would empower the Government to prohibit newspapers from running editorials or opinion pieces supporting or opposing candidates for office, so long as the newspapers were owned by corporations — as the major ones are. First Amendment rights could be confined to individuals, subverting the vibrant public discourse that is at the foundation of our democracy. The Court properly rejects that theory, and I join its opinion in full.

The First Amendment protects more than just the individual on a soapbox and the lonely pamphleteer.

Last edited:
We Need Power. Nuclear, Hydro , are too easily blocked. Clean Coal, seemed to be doing well with everything but the CO2 craze, which I am not sold on at all. The Global warming issue attacks it. CO2 a pollutant? Why not hold your breath? Why not pass a mandate to extend daylight hours so there is more photosynthesis? :) :) :). We need responsible Nuclear Power, and effective reprocessing. We need Dams and Reservoirs, which generate electricity, support wild-life, recreation, drinking water, fire protection, agriculture. What I get out of this is how the Global Warming craze obstructs innovation and actually diverts and harms the ecology movement. You do realize that CO2 is a refrigerant?

Carbon dioxide as a refrigerant is an environmentally friendly alternative to hydrofluorocarbons, according to Luvata, a global metals manufacturing and technology company.

In addition to being non-flammable, non-toxic and less expensive, CO2 offers zero ozone-depletion and may be more efficient than traditional refrigerants.

To be sure, The Coca-Cola Co. will be using Luvata’s technology for its environmentally friendly vending machines for the 2008 Beijing Olympics as part of the beverage company’s commitment to sustainability.

“In addition to the environmental advantages, it has a higher heat-transfer coefficient than traditional refrigerants, which can lead to increased efficiency in the heat-transfer equipment it is used in,” says Giovanni Simeoni, head of sales and marketing, product development and R&D for Luvata’s ECO-Heatcraft division. “The higher volumetric efficiency of CO2 refrigerant (known as R744) also means that the cross-sectional area of pipes used in heat-transfer equipment can be reduced. As a result, equipment has the potential to be smaller, lighter, more efficient and better for the environment.”

CO2: Eco-Refrigerant :: HVACR Business

Five to Four. Five to Four. Five to Four. CU v. FEC was not Nine to Zero; Alito's opinion is that, an opinon. His behavior tonight was, is, and will always be contemptible.
By showing partisanship he violated that which a judge must be, and dishonered every man and women who wears the robe.

What about your President who called out our SUPREME COURT JUSTICES in order to humilate and denigrate them in front of a NATIONAL AUDIENCE. That is un-precendented in history and demonstrates Obama's total lack of humility and respect for our constitution and the people who enforce those laws.

Obama is an arrogant self-serving, egotistical man who does not deserve the respect of those he attacks.

WORLDmag.com | Community | Blog Archive | Corporations have First Amendment rights

I thought the way Chief Justice John Roberts worded it in his opinion was more vivid:

The Government urges us in this case to uphold a direct prohibition on political speech. It asks us to embrace a theory of the First Amendment that would allow censorship not only of television and radio broadcasts, but of pamphlets, posters, the Internet, and virtually any other medium that corporations and unions might find useful in expressing their views on matters of public concern. Its theory, if accepted, would empower the Government to prohibit newspapers from running editorials or opinion pieces supporting or opposing candidates for office, so long as the newspapers were owned by corporations — as the major ones are. First Amendment rights could be confined to individuals, subverting the vibrant public discourse that is at the foundation of our democracy. The Court properly rejects that theory, and I join its opinion in full.

The First Amendment protects more than just the individual on a soapbox and the lonely pamphleteer.

It also included Book Banning.

WORLDmag.com | Community | Blog Archive | Corporations have First Amendment rights

It also included Book Banning.

The slippery slope argument is sometimes a logical fallacy, and sometimes it is a valid component of an argument. In this case, the SCOTUS majority accurately identified the slippery slope involved here. If the Congress can ban corporate contributions, it can ban any form of expression of opinion from the corporate world, and that puts us on the slippery slope making it possible to ban expression of opinion by others as well. It is not beyond reasonable speculation that as this group is silenced and then that group is silenced that they would eventually get around to even shutting down USMB in the months prior to a general election.

So we are left with the problem of those having the most money being able to buy the most influence. To eliminate that, all we have to do is prohibit the U.S. Congress from authorizing any tax dollars for any form of charity or benevolence that benefits one or some but not all. And there would be absolutely no Constitutional problem with that.

I agree. Sometimes the abstract reasoning kicks in and it is used to justify beyond imagination. The Totalitarians love it.

Forum List

Back