Instead of guessing.. a small business owner says why not hiring...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by healthmyths, Oct 7, 2011.

1. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    So many "experts" that are not capable of creating jobs, don't care to hear from what people that CAN and DO hire people have to say!
    Read here for a small business owner's reasons for NOT hiring!

He doesn't know what his employee costs will be!
    "The man in the aisle seat is trying to tell me why he refuses to hire anybody. His business is successful, he says, as the 737 cruises smoothly eastward. Demand for his product is up. But he still won’t hire.
    Because I don’t know how much it will cost,” he explains. “How can I hire new workers today, when I don’t know how much they will cost me tomorrow?”

He’s referring not to wages, but to regulation: He has no way of telling what new rules will go into effect when. His business, although it covers several states, operates on low margins. He can’t afford to take the chance of losing what little profit there is to the next round of regulatory changes. And so he’s hiring nobody until he has some certainty about cost. "

I don’t understand why Washington does this to us," he resumes. By "us," he means people who run businesses of less- than-Fortune-500 size.

“Invisible,” he says. “I know there are things the government has to do.
    But they need to find a way to do them without people like me having to bump into a new regulation every time we turn a corner.”
    He reflects for a moment, then finds the analogy he seeks.
    “Government should act like my assistant, not my boss.”

Carter: Economic Stagnation Explained, at 30,000 Feet - Bloomberg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    This guy sucks at management. While I am only responsible for a small $11M annual service business, I hire people to serve my customers. If I don't. My customers will go elsewhere. Period.

3. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Well you evil millionaire business person!

You need to pay the 5% millionaire surtax so your payment can go to extremely well justified Federal expenditures like these:

- $2.6 million training Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job
    - The (NIH) spent nearly $442,340 to study male prostitutes in Vietnam and their
    social setting.
    - A university study of how much alcohol college freshmen women require before
    agreeing to sex!
    - $700,000 federal grant to examine "greenhouse gas emission from organic dairies,
    caused by cow burps.
    - The National Science Foundation spent $250k to Stanford to study how Americans
    use the Internet to find love.
    - (ATF) spent over $20,000 in taxpayer money "to unravel the anonymity of
    a 2,500-year-old mummy."

And this is a well run appropriate use of your tax dollars?

4. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    AND we have a winner. :cool:

The reason businesses aren't hiring right now is because they have no reason to. The customers aren't there to justify hiring more people, because not enough people have enough money to spend to buy the things/services that the new employees would provide.

It's really that simple.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Beats this:

6. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    I know. I have only hired 6 people in FY11, which started October 1st, 2010.

7. healthmyths

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    and of course you are a business owner and can hire people at will right?
    And of course you think believe there should be MORE rules and regulations right?
    You have NO problem with every decision you make being done in the context of is this action in compliance with the millions of local/state and trillions of Federal rules and regulations?
    In other words you have NO problem with the government being YOUR BOSS because you have NO capacity to be responsible and you NEED your BOSS to put a cop on every corner, a baby-sitter in your office to make sure YOU do the right and responsible decision?

You have NO problem having a nanny state telling YOU how many bathrooms you must provide your employees??

8. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    I don't recall saying any of those things. I also do no OWN this business. I simply am charged with running a portion of it. However, rather than worrying about what "might" happen, I simply get my job done. You GOPers are excellent at being afraid of everything that might be around the corner. Fortunately, not everyone is the same as you. Remember WMD?

9. pgm

pgm Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The problem with this is it is anecdotal evidence. I'm sure it's accurate for his case and many others. But even in the best economic times, most small businesses are not hiring. Even in the best economic times, they complain about the costs of regulations. So, he has a legitimate problem, but it isn't a new problem. It doesn't explain why unemployment is so high now.

10. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    If a business owner who is barely keeping his doors open today in this shitty economy knew exactly how much it would cost him for the next 5 years to hire new employees,
    would he hire people tomorrow ?

The answer of course is no.

Most business owners will hire when they need to hire.

With the state of the economy not many need to hire. I think some people are using the low need for new hires to further a political agenda.

Gee imagine that.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011