Instead of background checks to buy a gun....

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
Why don't we just have background checks to commit a crime? I mean, the criminals are really the problem, right? Let's just require people to submit to a background check before they commit crimes, that way we can track them. Makes sense, right?

It seems that lots of people think that laws are meant only to prevent crimes from happening.

While they sometimes accomplish this goal, they have other purposes. One of the most important being to institute a penalty to deal with those who do not obey them.

The laws that we have making murder a crime do not prevent all murders but we can...and do imprison those who murder or assault others. Because doing so is against the law. While these people are in prison, they can no longer be a danger to the citizenry.

Why don't we just have background checks to commit a crime? I mean, the criminals are really the problem, right? Let's just require people to submit to a background check before they commit crimes, that way we can track them. Makes sense, right?

Most gun deaths are suicides and domestic arguments that went wrong.

The problem is that most of you don't need guns...

and a gun in the home is so dangerous that the NRA doesn't even want the CDC to study the problem.

and a gun in the home is so dangerous that the NRA doesn't even want the CDC to study the problem.

Murder/suicides and domestic arguments gone wrong makes sense for lawful women to have guns.

murder is a disease?

Hey moron a domestic dispute that ends in a shooting is a violent crime. DUH

There's a rubber room for threads like this.

If you don't think a convicted pedophile should be barred from getting a job at a daycare center, or as your child's teacher,

if you don't think someone with multiple drunk driving convictions should prevented from getting a job as a school bus driver,

then you probably don't think that anyone convicted of a gun crime should be denied a gun permit, or a gun purchase,

because background checks are how we determine what those people's records are.

Instead of background checks to buy a gun....Why don't we just have background checks to commit a crime?

Chris Berman once said "There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people who ask questions.” Which is very appropriate for this post.

Murder/suicides and domestic arguments gone wrong makes sense for lawful women to have guns.

No, it shows that we have too many guns in the hands of people who shouldn't have them to start with...

But you and Daveman keep hiding behind the lady's skirts. "Oh, we are all about protecting the women!"

DUh, often by someone who didn't have a criminal record before that.

No one has guns, no gun deaths.

Problem solved.

murder is a disease?

For purposes of CDC studies, yes.

There's a rubber room for threads like this.

From my perspective, all the talk about implementing new gun control should be in the rubber room, for all the usefulness that those policies would provide.

If you don't think a convicted pedophile should be barred from getting a job at a daycare center, or as your child's teacher,

if you don't think someone with multiple drunk driving convictions should prevented from getting a job as a school bus driver,

then you probably don't think that anyone convicted of a gun crime should be denied a gun permit, or a gun purchase,

Please don't put words into my mouth. And please stay on topic.

because background checks are how we determine what those people's records are.

So you support my proposal?

Instead of background checks to buy a gun....Why don't we just have background checks to commit a crime?

Chris Berman once said "There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people who ask questions.” Which is very appropriate for this post.

What is so stupid about it? We want to reduce violent crime, right? So, let's do a background check on criminals. If we pass a law, they'll follow it. Won't then?

Problem solved.

For that matter, give everyone pixie dust and they can magically heal themselves if they get shot. And the problem would be solved.

Meanwhile, back in reality, the adults want to come up with REAL solutions.

Problem solved.

Tell me are all crimes committed by someone who has had a record before?

And no guns just means more deaths by beatings, stabbings and other violence.

You cannot end violence or crime. You say you care about people yet you want to deny them the right to protect themselves.

Problem solved.

For that matter, give everyone pixie dust and they can magically heal themselves if they get shot. And the problem would be solved.

Meanwhile, back in reality, the adults want to come up with REAL solutions.

Japan has very few privately owned guns and they only had 11 shooting deaths in 2008. (The last year I can find a record for.)

We have a shitload of guns and had 11,000+ gun murders in 2012.

Guns are the problem, and we are like the retarded kid who writes "2+2=Cat" when everyone else got "4" as the answer.

Problem solved.

Tell me are all crimes committed by someone who has had a record before?

And no guns just means more deaths by beatings, stabbings and other violence.

You cannot end violence or crime. You say you care about people yet you want to deny them the right to protect themselves.

Guns are only part of the problem causing crime in this country. We also have income inequality and a prison-industrial complex that locks up 2 million people for profit and makes our rime problem worse.

Again- Japan only locks up 69,000 people. They only had 258 murders total in 2008, 11 committed with gun. The US locks up 2,000,000 people, we had 16,000 murders, 11,000 committed with guns.

But you suggest, hey, maybe we can just follow Japan's example and get rid of the guns and have a social policy that takes care of everyone, we get fugnuts like you whining about "Freedom" and "the Constitution" and "the Founding Fathers"...

"2+2=Cat"! And don't you dare tell anyone different!

Forum List

Back