Instant Replay now a certainty

I watched the end of the game on MLB Network and the interviews that followed. Galarraga, Jim Joyce (umpire) and Jim Leyland all handled it with class. I am now a Galarraga and a Jim Joyce fan (always was a Leyland fan)

Umpire Jim Joyce apologizes to Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga for blown call, denying perfect game

About a half hour after tonight’s game, Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was asked to visit Jim Joyce in the umpires’ dressing room at Comerica Park.

Galarraga said Joyce told him, “I’m so sorry in my heart. I don’t know what to tell you.”

“I told him, ‘Nobody’s perfect,' " Galarraga said. “What am I going to say?”

Galarraga said that — “nobody’s perfect” — without any irony or sarcasm.

Joyce told reporters he called Cleveland’s Jason Donald safe at first with two out in the ninth inning because he believed Donald beat Galarraga to the first-base bag. However, replays showed Galarraga beat Donald to the bag after taking first baseman Miguel Cabrera’s throw on Donald’s grounder.

If Joyce had called “out,” Galarraga would have had the first perfect game in Tigers history. Instead, Galarraga was credited with a one-hitter and a 3-0 victory.

“He feels so bad,” Galarraga said of Joyce. “He’s still sitting in there in his whole uniform. He feels so bad for himself.”

Shit happens.

Galarraga has shown himself to be a true sportsman today, and I admire the way he has handled it. Joyce has admitted he made the wrong call. this will go down as a perfect game in the hearts of all baseball fans, even if the record books say otherwise.

Class act...

Not many in todays "Me...me" sports environment would have show the class of either Galarraga or Joyce. It s too late to reverse the call but I agree that instant replay is now a done deal.

The umpires should welcome it

I don't agree that instant replay is a done deal nor would I want it to be. It is a shame that he didn't get the perfect game but to see a baseball game delayed like football games are now I believe would do more harm to the game then good. There are already too damn many commercials now and that would only add more.

What should have happened, and is the allowed, is that all the umpires could have huddled and reversed the decision if anyone of them had a better view. I'd hate like hell to see the human element removed from baseball because that IS part of the game. I sure as hell do not agree with all the calls an ump makes but a judgment call has never been allowed to be disputed. The game and records have survived all these years and will continue with or without instant replay but I'd personally like to see it without it.

If there were instant replays and challenges I betcha that guy that pitched a perfect game against the Marlins would not be in the record book, either.

Some of those strike calls were bull.

If there were instant replays and challenges I betcha that guy that pitched a perfect game against the Marlins would not be in the record book, either.

Some of those strike calls were bull.

Balls and strikes will never be included in instant replay. Not only will the umpires union never allow something like that to happen, but anything done with instant replay will always be done so that any extra slowing-down of the game is done at an absolute bare minimum. Replaying balls and strikes will literally leave a game going for hours upon hours.

Selig made the right decision in not overturning the blown call.

A perfect game means that everyone involved in the game, not just the pitcher, was PERFECT. Blown calls happen all the time in baseball. There's a human element to it, and one of the intangibles is the officiating crew. Sometimes a call goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. The perfect game means that no one reached base, PERIOD. Sometimes a player reaches base in a ballgame because of a blown call. That's just the way baseball works. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but that's the game.

The guy missed out on an obvious perfect game, but the human element came into play and everything involved in the potential for a perfect game (the officiating in this instance) was not perfect. Such is life, and such is baseball.

He has the perfecto in the court of public opinion, and apparently that seems to be good enough for him. He'll be fine, the fans will be fine, and the game of baseball itself will be fine.

At least it gave Mike & Mike something to babble about all morning.

New Topics

Forum List

Back