Inside the Waistband, Appendix carry draw...is this crazy or what...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I know a couple of people who carry their pistols in the inside the waistband appendix carry position...but watching people draw with speed from this position gives me the willies....in the stress of a defensive shooting...would you want to take a chance that your finger would not pull the trigger prematurely...and the dire consequences of that mistake?

I mean...on the hip at the 3, 4 or 5 o'clock position if you really screwed up you would hit your leg....I know that happened to a local police officer who did it at a local range during a draw and shoot training exercise...putting the pistol away she shot herself through her leg....so appendix carry....not for me....

You want to not make "that" mistake? Practice the draw with the finger off the trigger over and over until it becomes second nature. If the stressful situation occurs muscle memory takes over, you'll never draw with a finger on the trigger.
Just remember you shoot as you train, if you stop to pocket empty casings or slip an empty mag back in it's pouch/pocket that is what you'll do in a real fight and it could get you killed.

You want to not make "that" mistake? Practice the draw with the finger off the trigger over and over until it becomes second nature. If the stressful situation occurs muscle memory takes over, you'll never draw with a finger on the trigger.
Just remember you shoot as you train, if you stop to pocket empty casings or slip an empty mag back in it's pouch/pocket that is what you'll do in a real fight and it could get you killed.

Yeah...you might think training was enough...but a firearm instructor told us about a friend of his who owns a guns store....this friend is an experienced competitive shooter...a good one...and when robbers came in to rob his store he shot back at them...and pulled down and to the left with his shots...he still won the fight...but even he couldn't completely keep his training on target.....so still, appendix carry under stress seems risky....

Yeah...you might think training was enough...but a firearm instructor told us about a friend of his who owns a guns store....this friend is an experienced competitive shooter...a good one...and when robbers came in to rob his store he shot back at them...and pulled down and to the left with his shots...he still won the fight...but even he couldn't completely keep his training on target.....so still, appendix carry under stress seems risky....
That's the actual shooting (aiming and firing) part you're talking about, it doesn't respond to muscle memory like the actions of drawing, reloading an holstering. One's reflexive the other requires some level of concentration and that kind of stress actually changes our perception, time seems to slow down, our world can become very narrowly focused and this can affect our ability to aim properly.
So your example doesn't apply to muscle memory.

i get to see son's new pistol this evening...fun times fun times.....since he owes me cash i refer to it as my pistol...he does not like that at all....i was amazed how long it took him to get the paperwork done....sheriffs office then some background check company...took most of the day

i get to see son's new pistol this evening...fun times fun times.....since he owes me cash i refer to it as my pistol...he does not like that at all....i was amazed how long it took him to get the paperwork done....sheriffs office then some background check company...took most of the day

What is he getting?

if the safety is locked, and you've trained to not disengage the safety until the gun is safely pointed away from you, it's not a problem. Keep your finger outside of the guard until the gun is in forward motion.

Forum List

Back