Inside Israel's Secret Startup Machine

fanger

Gold Member
May 21, 2014
Fuck israel
Even in the hallowed annals of teenage hackerdom, this never-before-told story might top them all. In the early 1990s Avishai Abrahami found himself, as required for most Israelis when they graduate from high school, enlisting in the Israel Defense Forces. But Abrahami had been assigned to a division he wasn’t allowed to speak of, not even to his parents–a crack cybersecurity and intelligence team known as Unit 8200.

He was given an assignment that seemed right out of Mission: Impossible. Break into the computers of a country that remained in a state of hostility with Israel. The task contained several hurdles: First, figure out how to get into those computers; second, how to crack the encryption; and finally, the monumental challenge, how to access the “enormous amount” of computing power necessary to decrypt the data.

So here’s what Abrahami did once he thought he could breach the targeted computers: He broke into the computers of two other hostile countries and hijacked their processing power to suck out
the data held by the first target. A masterwork of spycraft–and a primitive precursor to cloud computing–done without leaving his chair in Tel Aviv.

“If we had to do it with a computer researcher,” says Abrahami, “it would have taken us a year. It took us a day. I’m trying to think what would have happened if someone had discovered it, what a crisis that would have created.”

But (until now) no one ever did. Which is consistent with a unit whose existence, until roughly a decade ago, had never even been publicly acknowledged or identified.
The public did, however, hear about Abrahami, who’s now 45. After leaving Unit 8200, he cofounded Wix, currently one of the world’s leading cloud-based Web-development platforms.

“Just from my generation, there are more than 100 guys from the unit that I personally knew who built startups and sold them for a lot of money,” Abrahami says. “There was a team of ten people in one room in the unit. I call it the magic room, because all of them created companies where the average market cap is a half-billion dollars.” Abrahami did his part: Wix’s market cap sits at $1 billion.
Ron Reiter, 31, another 8200 alum, whose startup was just purchased by Oracle ORCL +0.02% for a reported $50 million and who hails from a newer generation, tells a similar story: “There was one person who sold his startup for, like, $300 million to Apple AAPL -0.74%, and another whose company was sold to Cisco for $500 million–and these were both my roommates in Unit 8200.”

Much has been made of Israel’s status as “Startup Nation.” Not even the size of New Jersey, with a population smaller than New York City’s, Israel is home to more Nasdaq-listed companies than any country except the U.S. and China. On a per capita basis Israel boasts more venture capital, more startups and more scientists and tech professionals than any other country in the world.

To understand these dizzying numbers, you need to understand the mysterious Unit 8200. While no one has ever disclosed how large it is, FORBES estimates the unit has, at any given time, 5,000 people assigned to it, all mandated to deploy the latest technology, often in life-or-death situations, with surprisingly little guidance.

“There’s nobody around to tell you how to do it,” Abrahami says. “The culture inside–and it’s by design–is that your superiors just tell you to go figure it out. That gives you the huge freedom to think differently. It’s you or nobody else. And when you’re an entrepreneur, that’s the most important skill. When you do 5 or 10 or 20 of those projects, you’ve just built 3 things that could be a startup.”

Multiply those three things by thousands of tech geniuses and decades of work, and it’s clear why, as FORBES estimates, more than 1,000 companies have been founded by 8200 alumni, from Waze to Check Point to Mirabilis, the parent company of ICQ. Tech giants like to gobble up 8200 firms like hors d’oeuvres. In the last three years alone, Microsoft MSFT +1.38% bought Adallom, a data privacy firm, for a reported $320 million; Facebook FB +0.32% bought mobile analytics company Onavo for some $150 million; and PayPal grabbed CyActive, which predicts hacks, for an estimated $60 million.

So what’s in 8200′s special sauce? After speaking with more than two dozen 8200 veterans, we narrowed it down to five things that, taken together, provide a pretty good blueprint for Startup Nation–and a pretty powerful cheat sheet on how to launch a successful tech startup.

Richard Gutjahr was the dual German Israeli who filmed both the Nice attack and also the Munich attack,Richard Gutjahr’s wife is Einat Wilf – Politician - Zionist - ex Israeli Defense Intelligence Officer.

I Know it's probably gonna turn out offensive but I'll just say it anyway - under the circumstances;

Since you are more likely to be less intellegent than any of those whom you collectively (and typically) understimates, then, why do you actually don't just do it yourself?

You literally spotted the unjust from thousands of wired miles, Where is your ability to actually do something with your intellect?

Obviously you can't call a machine 'generic' when you can't understand where's the missing screws, don't you think Fanger?

Even in the hallowed annals of teenage hackerdom, this never-before-told story might top them all. In the early 1990s Avishai Abrahami found himself, as required for most Israelis when they graduate from high school, enlisting in the Israel Defense Forces. But Abrahami had been assigned to a division he wasn’t allowed to speak of, not even to his parents–a crack cybersecurity and intelligence team known as Unit 8200.

He was given an assignment that seemed right out of Mission: Impossible. Break into the computers of a country that remained in a state of hostility with Israel. The task contained several hurdles: First, figure out how to get into those computers; second, how to crack the encryption; and finally, the monumental challenge, how to access the “enormous amount” of computing power necessary to decrypt the data.

So here’s what Abrahami did once he thought he could breach the targeted computers: He broke into the computers of two other hostile countries and hijacked their processing power to suck out
the data held by the first target. A masterwork of spycraft–and a primitive precursor to cloud computing–done without leaving his chair in Tel Aviv.

“If we had to do it with a computer researcher,” says Abrahami, “it would have taken us a year. It took us a day. I’m trying to think what would have happened if someone had discovered it, what a crisis that would have created.”

But (until now) no one ever did. Which is consistent with a unit whose existence, until roughly a decade ago, had never even been publicly acknowledged or identified.
The public did, however, hear about Abrahami, who’s now 45. After leaving Unit 8200, he cofounded Wix, currently one of the world’s leading cloud-based Web-development platforms.

“Just from my generation, there are more than 100 guys from the unit that I personally knew who built startups and sold them for a lot of money,” Abrahami says. “There was a team of ten people in one room in the unit. I call it the magic room, because all of them created companies where the average market cap is a half-billion dollars.” Abrahami did his part: Wix’s market cap sits at $1 billion.
Ron Reiter, 31, another 8200 alum, whose startup was just purchased by Oracle ORCL +0.02% for a reported $50 million and who hails from a newer generation, tells a similar story: “There was one person who sold his startup for, like, $300 million to Apple AAPL -0.74%, and another whose company was sold to Cisco for $500 million–and these were both my roommates in Unit 8200.”

Much has been made of Israel’s status as “Startup Nation.” Not even the size of New Jersey, with a population smaller than New York City’s, Israel is home to more Nasdaq-listed companies than any country except the U.S. and China. On a per capita basis Israel boasts more venture capital, more startups and more scientists and tech professionals than any other country in the world.

To understand these dizzying numbers, you need to understand the mysterious Unit 8200. While no one has ever disclosed how large it is, FORBES estimates the unit has, at any given time, 5,000 people assigned to it, all mandated to deploy the latest technology, often in life-or-death situations, with surprisingly little guidance.

“There’s nobody around to tell you how to do it,” Abrahami says. “The culture inside–and it’s by design–is that your superiors just tell you to go figure it out. That gives you the huge freedom to think differently. It’s you or nobody else. And when you’re an entrepreneur, that’s the most important skill. When you do 5 or 10 or 20 of those projects, you’ve just built 3 things that could be a startup.”

Multiply those three things by thousands of tech geniuses and decades of work, and it’s clear why, as FORBES estimates, more than 1,000 companies have been founded by 8200 alumni, from Waze to Check Point to Mirabilis, the parent company of ICQ. Tech giants like to gobble up 8200 firms like hors d’oeuvres. In the last three years alone, Microsoft MSFT +1.38% bought Adallom, a data privacy firm, for a reported $320 million; Facebook FB +0.32% bought mobile analytics company Onavo for some $150 million; and PayPal grabbed CyActive, which predicts hacks, for an estimated $60 million.

So what’s in 8200′s special sauce? After speaking with more than two dozen 8200 veterans, we narrowed it down to five things that, taken together, provide a pretty good blueprint for Startup Nation–and a pretty powerful cheat sheet on how to launch a successful tech startup.

Richard Gutjahr was the dual German Israeli who filmed both the Nice attack and also the Munich attack,Richard Gutjahr’s wife is Einat Wilf – Politician - Zionist - ex Israeli Defense Intelligence Officer.

Not bad for a little country, so why cant the islamonazi's do this with their far superior numbers and better education ? Or is this just another of your LIES and BLOOD LIBELS as you did not provide a link to prove the validity of your claims ?

Be careful, there are Jews belonging to unit 8200 hiding under your bed.

:blowup:

They migrated to the closet. You cannot defeat the unit 8200 Joooos. Heyvouneh Eslami.

No way, I cut the legs off!

So they built a crawl space under your bed, and filmed you pleasuring yourself with 6 pebbles. It is due to be broadcast on RT today as a remonder to follow the commands of allah and not be led astray by Omar.

Why did they Migrate to the closet, because they claim GOD gave it to them,When they come out the closet, I will take their legs off too, capish Maricon?

Achmed, Unit 8200 has already advised you to stick to cleaning toilets (without drinking from them). Hey, maybe you can open a startup for toilet cleaning? :rofl:

No way, I cut the legs off!

So they built a crawl space under your bed, and filmed you pleasuring yourself with 6 pebbles. It is due to be broadcast on RT today as a remonder to follow the commands of allah and not be led astray by Omar.

You got everything right except Muhammad said to wipe butt with an odd number of rocks.

I wouldn't want to compete with your business, plying shit
So you'll always work as a toilet cleaner. No startup for you. You have disappointed unit 8200.

Well on the bright side you can clean and eat at the same time.

Where you come from they don't clean toilets, as there is no longer jews available
Where you come from Muslims squat like dogs when they poop.

There's another startup idea for you. A high end line of squatting toilets. Unit 8200 approved. :clap2:

Am I interrupting your IslamoNazi masturbation session?

As opposed to:

From a sidebar found at Post-Gazette.com:

The United Nations Development Program, in a report published last year, described in often painful detail some of the factors that have contributed to the decline of science and the rise of extremism in Arab societies. Among them are:

- Increases in average income have been lower in the Arab world than anywhere else for 20 years, except for the poorest African countries. "If such trends continue...it will take the average Arab citizen 140 years to double his or her income, whole other regions are set to achieve that level in a matter of less than 10 years," the report noted. One in 5 Arabs lives on less than $2 a day.

- Arab unemployment is the highest in the developing world.

- Surveys show more than half of young Arabs want to leave their countries and live in theUnited States or other industrialized countries where opportunities are better.

- The Arab brain drain is the world's worst, with about 25 percent of new graduates in science, medicine and engineering emigrating each year.

- About 1 in 4 Arab adults can neither read nor write. This is a particular problem among Arab women, 50 per cent of whom are illiterate. Many children do not attend school.

- The quality of education has declined, with many schools teaching mainly interpretations of the Koran, rather than other knowledge or skills.

- Less than 0.6 per cent of Arabs use the Internet and barely 1.2 percent have access to a personal computer. There are 18 computers per 1,000 Arabs, compared to the global average of 78.3.

- During the entire 20th century, fewer than 10,000 books were translated into Arabic -- equivalent to the number translated into Spanish in a single year. Religious books account for 17 per cent of new publications in Arab countries, compared to a world average of 5 per cent.

- Censorship stifles ideas, information and innovation. Numerous censors review book manuscripts, each with the power to edit text or demand revisions.

chuckle......

Forum List

Back