(Insert name here) died in 2009.

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Looking through the list of famous people who have passed away during any particular year, I'm usually able to find at least one person that I (1) hugely admired, someone who I feel had a (2) profound influence on my life and who I will (3) really miss as the years go by.

This year, surprisingly, nothing really. There are a few people who fit into one or two of the categories above, but personally speaking none has the trifecta. Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.

Some notables include (with the categories that they fit into):

Michael Jackson (1)
Farrah Fawcett (probably comes closest to all 3)
David Carradine (3)
Natasha Richardson (1)
Karl Malden (1)
Oscar Mayer (2)
Chuck Daly (1)
Walter Cronkite (1 and 3)
Les Paul (1)
Helen Suzman (1)
Mark Fidrych (close to all 3)
John Updike (1 and 2)

It's an incomplete list of course, but the deaths of some (Ted Kennedy, Patrick Swayze, Steve McNair, Ed McMahon, John Hughes, for example) are deliberate omissions. Others will of course have different opinions.

I think as time goes by famous people mean less and less to your life. Also there is the fact that your obituary becomes more of a concern than anyone else's.

My beautiful Dog

Not this puppy but his predecessor.

She was 14 and was a beautiful Ausstrailian Shepard / Border Collie mix.

Last edited:
Billy Mays (1, 2, 3)

BillyMays.jpg

'Maybe', our rat, died this year. {{tears}}

She was more important than anybody on your list, except for maybe Les Paul.

Your rat was more important than Farrah? :eek:

To (mis)quote Samuel L. Jackson "That's gotta be one charming motherfuckin' rat".

William Safire was this year's greatest loss to the media, and following the death last year of William F. Buckley, Jr., those two were the last bastians of sensible conservative commentary. They both consistently spoke and wrote in logical, common sense voices without all the shrieking and labeling.

Forum List

Back