Insensitive Cafeteria Food

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
At the University of California-Irvine, student Ricardo Sparks, co-chairman of the university's Black Studio Union, lodged a formal complaint when the Pippin Commons cafeteria tossed together a last-minute meal and sign reading "MLK Holiday Special: Chicken and Waffles" without university oversight, according to the Los Angeles Times.

UC Irvine spokeswoman Cathy Lawhon acknowledged that the cafeteria's choice of menu on Jan. 17 was not in "good taste," and said all managers and chefs will undergo cultural sensitivity training.

Schools under fire for insensitivity on MLK Day - U.S. news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com

WWMLKD?

When is chicken just chicken?

If I am offended by something, I don't buy it, don't associate with it, and will often go out of my way to avoid it.

Someone needs to sue a chicken.

They are insensitive, fowl creatures.

At the University of California-Irvine, student Ricardo Sparks, co-chairman of the university's Black Studio Union, lodged a formal complaint when the Pippin Commons cafeteria tossed together a last-minute meal and sign reading "MLK Holiday Special: Chicken and Waffles" without university oversight, according to the Los Angeles Times.

UC Irvine spokeswoman Cathy Lawhon acknowledged that the cafeteria's choice of menu on Jan. 17 was not in "good taste," and said all managers and chefs will undergo cultural sensitivity training.

Schools under fire for insensitivity on MLK Day - U.S. news - Life - Race & ethnicity - msnbc.com

WWMLKD?

Any response from the chairman of the White Studio Union? Oh, hush my mouth! A white union would be too insensitive, would it not? :eusa_whistle:

WWMLKD?

I got news for them. Chicken on waffles is a big hit in a good deal of restaurants.

I am sure the Belgians are FURIOUS over the insensitivity.

Now if they had offered chitterlings and collard greens with watermelon and had the cafeteria staff in black face, i could see something there. Then again that is considered haute cuisine soul food.

Fuck them and their sensitivity. I am tired of this being offended shit.

WWMLKD?

I got news for them. Chicken on waffles is a big hit in a good deal of restaurants.

I am sure the Belgians are FURIOUS over the insensitivity.

Now if they had offered chitterlings and collard greens with watermelon and had the cafeteria staff in black face, i could see something there. Then again that is considered haute cuisine soul food.

Fuck them and their sensitivity. I am tired of this being offended shit.

I am offended by your use of the word 'shit'. Quick, call the language police!! Officer, officer we have an offender here!

heh

27413-chicken_waffles.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe's_House_of_Chicken_and_Waffles

Last edited:

WWMLKD?

wait a minute didn't we just have an issue a couple of years ago when a Network chef had a stereotypical 'black' menu some such thing to celebrate black history month? ...I am trying to remember the exact details. In the end many were outraged but many also defended it.....(?)

Did this chef there under go diversity training? hummmmmm

ah yes here we go....

and the chef defending her choices...

LiveLeak.com - Cook defends fried chicken choice for Black History Month menu

NBC Cafeteria Celebrates Black History Month With Fried Chicken Special (Update) | Mediaite

theres also history of this kind of thing, driven by....wait for it................................... African Americans....

#
Aug 11, 1986 - Depending on which one the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority chooses next month , the airport's switch next May from family-run ... There also are likely to be many more kinds of food, particularly ethnic selections. Proposed menus include Cuban sandwiches and black bean soup, ...
From FOOD PROPOSALS PUT VARIETY ON AIRPORT MENU - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlandosentinel/access ...
►
#
Feb 1, 1990 - It takes a month of activities -- timed to coincide with Black History Month -- to reflect the contributions and accomplishments of the black community in Broward ... 9: Lunchtime Cultural Menu, Jamaican Rhythms, noon at the Mercedes City Center, 200 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale. ...
From Miami Herald, The : NEIGHBORS BNE<br> - Related web pages
docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/MH/lib00246 ...
#
Feb 6, 1996 - As part of its campuswide celebration of Black History Month, Kennesaw State College hosts former US Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders at 7:30 ... On the menu? Chicken, black-eyed peas, collard greens and pigs feet, for starters. And it's all free. Photo: Mug shot of Joycelyn Elders. ...
From The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution: One Good Thing<br>TO &#8230; - Related web pages
docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/AT/lib00003 ...
#
Feb 20, 1998 - But during her six years with St. Mary's, emergency room nurse Saisa Neel noticed Black History Month was not represented. She approached Debbie Johnson, supervisor of food and nutrition, about creating an African menu. ``Debbie told me that she was interested in doing an ethnic menu, ...
From Herald & Review : St. Mary's cooks up African-American heritage - Related web pages
docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/DH/lib00450 ...
#
Feb 12, 2003 - If you're in the food or beverage industry and thinking about reaching out to the African-American market, then Black History Month ... Heritage Focusing on traditional food is one of the fastest ways to connect. If you're a restaurant, develop a traditional soul food menu for the ...
From Black History Month -- Making Inroads to the African-American Food & &#8230; - Related web pages
goliath.ecnext.com/premium/0199/0199-2598550.html
#
Feb 8, 2004 - MANSFIELD -- James Watkins, a barber with a world view, had his own table Saturday at the Black History Month celebration at the main branch of the Mansfield/Richland ... "Last year it was a Cajun menu. This year more soul. I'm going back to fried chicken and collard greens next year. ...
From Black history lessons, food draw large crowd - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/mansfieldnewsjournal ...
#
Feb 16, 2005 - Teacher of the Year at Armstrong Elementary, 2004-2005; sponsor of Armstrong's step team; Black History Month program coordinator; enjoys travel, ... This year she is planning soul food day. Menu items include oven-fried chicken, black-eyed peas, rice, cornbread and vegetables. ...
From Wroten enriches students' concept of black history - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/greenvilleonline/access ...
#
Feb 16, 2006 - University of Maine with speakers, films and a free Black History Month dinner featuring a nationally known speaker. ... 24 program with Wallace includes poetry and a menu of "popular soul food," Cordero said. This year will fea ture a tried-and-true southern staple of fried chicken, ...
From &#8230; Focus Of Um Program .Black History Month Features Nationally Known &#8230; - Related web pages
news.google.com/newspapers?id=j788AAAAIBAJ ...
#
Feb 1, 2007 - To include songs, dance, poetry and food. Call 738-5950 for more information. Feb. 23: Talent show at the K16 Landing Zone from 5 pm to 8 pm Call 738-4058 for more information. All month: Area II libraries will offer black history month displays. Feb. 1: Cake-cutting ceremony at 11:30 ...
From Pacific bases to offer Black History Month events - News - Stripes - Related web pages
www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104 ...
#
Feb 7, 2008 - February is National Black History Month &#8211; but with this year's African American Cultural Center calendar of events, expect no history lesson. ... While the menu at all four dining halls includes staple soul food items such as fried chicken, catfish and oyster stew, Snelling also will ...
From Cultural center plans month long activities | The Red and Black - Related web pages
www.redandblack.com/home/news/2008/02/07 ...\

sounds to me like the University of California-Irvine, student Ricardo Sparks, co-chairman of the university's Black Studio Union ought to get up to speed.

Last edited:
Seems that for Black History month, no food that is typically and historically associated with African American culture through history can be served.

Ironic?

Forum List

Back