Insane colleague at work

Centrism'sVoice

Seceded from USMB
Jul 8, 2009
I often have to deal with a particular director in the Marketing division who, quite frankly, stresses me out to the breaking point. This guy behaves as though he’s got serious issues.

For example, he’s in the office every morning at 6:30 after running six miles and spending 30 minutes on a stairmaster, but not because he’s a fitness freak. He openly tells people that he feels like he’ll explode if he doesn’t do this every day. (On his weekends and vacations, he does things like vertical skiing, skydiving, and bungee-jumping.) Even with all this energy burned off, his VP still uses him in meetings that need an explosive element (or when the VP wants to get a client to stop waffling). Most of the junior level people who know this director call him "Boom Boom" behind his back, because his explosiveness is so legendary.

Not surprisingly, Boom Boom is extremely difficult to work with. He seems totally oblivious to the fact that he derides and usually intimidates everyone around him, and his department has one of the highest personnel turnover rates in the industry. In a disagreement with Boom Boom, the only way to prevail is through a shouting match, of which I’ve had many. Afterwards, he sulks by refusing to discuss the issue further.

The only thing that keeps me from refusing to work with him at all is that deep down, Boom Boom is clearly not a bad guy. He works as hard as anybody else, and he’s respected for his professional achievement. It seems to me that the only thing he needs is simply to calm the hell down.

Any ideas on how I can help him do this without making him feel defensive? Sorry for the rant.

Tell him you're Jewish...it works with the Jehovah Witness when they come to my door.
Calms them right down, in fact it shuts them up right quick.

Forum List

Back