Injured Iraq Vets Come Home to Poverty

NATO AIR said:
i have a classmate of mine from high school who has serious burns all over his chest, arms and neck from a vehicle fire caused by an RPG in iraq and has serious mental trauma as well... he's been back home for five months and has been seen a total of two times...

its bullshit how they're treating these guys... ALL the politicians should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this.

It almost sounds like some kind of public, grass roots outcry needs to be generated. I am firing off a letter or two TODAY to a few Congressmen and Senators, as well as to some military brass I know. Maybe Hackworth needs to get his nose in this too.

CSM said:
It almost sounds like some kind of public, grass roots outcry needs to be generated. I am firing off a letter or two TODAY to a few Congressmen and Senators, as well as to some military brass I know. Maybe Hackworth needs to get his nose in this too.

yea its great when hackworth gets involved... he's a great advocate for the troops

Military families have always had a hard time financially, even during times of peace.
They have always come from the lower classes; this is true for America today as it has been true in many Nations throughout history.

White knight said:
Military families have always had a hard time financially, even during times of peace.
They have always come from the lower classes; this is true for America today as it has been true in many Nations throughout history.

Define "lower classes", please. Military families have a hard time because they don't get paid enough. It has nothing to do with class level.

White knight said:

It's funny...when I was taking home $1500 a month as an E4, I often felt I had MORE money than I do now making much more. Frankly, Lower-enlisted have the only case for 'financial hardship' - once a servicemember gets past E4/E5 they can do just fine. Free housing/Healthcare go a LONG way. Start tossing in Commission and Warrant Officer pay and the Army does a pretty good job, overall of compensation.

I bet I could find 90% of the vets on this board would argue they are mostly from 'lower class' families, upon entry. My example is:

My father was an Industrial Engineer at Boeing; not rich, but solid middle-class.

-=d=- said:
It's funny...when I was taking home $1500 a month as an E4, I often felt I had MORE money than I do now making much more. Frankly, Lower-enlisted have the only case for 'financial hardship' - once a servicemember gets past E4/E5 they can do just fine. Free housing/Healthcare go a LONG way. Start tossing in Commission and Warrant Officer pay and the Army does a pretty good job, overall of compensation.

I bet I could find 90% of the vets on this board would argue they are mostly from 'lower class' families, upon entry. My example is:

My father was an Industrial Engineer at Boeing; not rich, but solid middle-class.

I too came from a middle class family.

It is true that the younger enlisted folks have a harder time of it. I submit though, that the pay scale is still not equitable with the civilian sector even with the "free" housing and medical care (neither which is free any longer). Even shopping at the comissary and PX/BX is not what it used to be. Generally, prices are better at some of the big commercial chains when shopping stateside. Overseas, the BX/PX comissary is a lifesaver.

CSM said:
I submit though, that the pay scale is still not equitable with the civilian sector even with the "free" housing and medical care (neither which is free any longer).

How is housing no longer 'free'? Same ? for Medical...when I left Service, I never paid for rent, heat, electricity, water, sewer, etc...My wife, IIRC had some sort of co-pay (less than $100) after the birth of our eldest child (at Madigan Army Medical Center)..

CSM said:
Even shopping at the comissary and PX/BX is not what it used to be. Generally, prices are better at some of the big commercial chains when shopping stateside.

I've always said "If wal-mart were allowed on post, the PX would go out of business." I believe AAFES should be broken up some times...except while...

CSM said:
Overseas, the BX/PX comissary is a lifesaver.

Overseas. If for no other reason than the Fuel Coupons, AAFES was AWESOME while I was in Germany. :)

-=d=- said:
How is housing no longer 'free'? Same ? for Medical...when I left Service, I never paid for rent, heat, electricity, water, sewer, etc...My wife, IIRC had some sort of co-pay (less than $100) after the birth of our eldest child (at Madigan Army Medical Center)..

I've always said "If wal-mart were allowed on post, the PX would go out of business." I believe AAFES should be broken up some times...except while...

Overseas. If for no other reason than the Fuel Coupons, AAFES was AWESOME while I was in Germany. :)

The thing about housing is true IF you live on post. Usually, lower enlisted never get a shot at on base housing, so they end up on the economy (especially overseas). They can sometimes qualify for BAQ, but as you know that is a fixed rate and may or may not be enough to cover the cost depending on the area. When I was a young soldier, there was no such thing as "copay" for any medical treatment, so any copay at all I see as erosion of benefits.

CSM said:
The thing about housing is true IF you live on post. Usually, lower enlisted never get a shot at on base housing, so they end up on the economy (especially overseas). They can sometimes qualify for BAQ, but as you know that is a fixed rate and may or may not be enough to cover the cost depending on the area. When I was a young soldier, there was no such thing as "copay" for any medical treatment, so any copay at all I see as erosion of benefits.

That's not true in my world, here at fort lewis - we have and are building much more housing specifically for lower enlisted. And every married spouse gets BAH (formerly BAQ) if there isn't housing available on-post...tis true, however, lower enlisted BAH is about HALF what 'decent' housing costs in this area. :(

-=d=- said:
That's not true in my world, here at fort lewis - we have and are building much more housing specifically for lower enlisted. And every married spouse gets BAH (formerly BAQ) if there isn't housing available on-post...tis true, however, lower enlisted BAH is about HALF what 'decent' housing costs in this area. :(

I hear ya...it seems we are vehement agreement.

Forum List

Back