Ininvited guest

I listen to a Jacksonville based radio station at work... I think there's actually two different storms heading for Florida now.

Call me crazy, but myself and one of my best friends have this freakish desire to be in a hurricane. Just for the experience I guess :dunno:

We're planning on driving to the next one that hits close (provided its closer to a weekend and my daughter is with her dad). Too bad this is in Florida or I'd be extending my vacation a bit. :D

I heard there were 2 srorms too. Please everyone down that way be careful! I don't know how those people on the coast dfeal with this stuff year after year.

I just checked... yep, there's two.

spec_trop1_277x187.jpg

One in the Gulf and one in the Caribbean. From weather.com:

Tropical Storm Bonnie is edging toward the northeast in the central Gulf of Mexico. Bonnie could move across the Florida Panhandle late Thursday morning. A tropical storm warning and hurricane watch are in effect from the Alabama-Florida line to the Suwannee River.

Meanwhile, Hurricane Charley is churning west-northwestward through the north-central Caribbean Sea. Conditions are favorable for Charley to continue to strengthen. Tropical storm warnings are in effect for Jamaica, a hurricane watch is in effect for Jamaica and the Florida Keys, and a hurricane warning is in effect for the Cayman Islands and the western half of Cuba.

A large upper-level system dominates much of the U.S. A strong southwesterly flow aloft will rapidly steer Bonnie and then Charley up the Eastern Seaboard, just ahead of a cold front, Friday and this weekend.

Do we have anyone in that area who posts here regularly? I cant think of any Floridians.....

lilcountriegal, I live in Orlando, right in the projected path of Charlie which is now a cat 1 storm 74-95 mph sustained winds. Could be a cat 2 96-110 mph winds by Friday morning. South of Tampa looks like it will take the brunt

Take it from someone who has seen the destruction of a hurricane, you don't want to be there. I worked in Homestead after Andrew. I went down to help out with repairs, there was nothing to repair, it was leveled. Entire neighborhoods reduced to toothpicks.

Bonnie looks like it will come ashore in the panhandle as a Tropical storm or cat 1.

Krisy, thanks, we'll be careful.

lilcountriegal said:
I listen to a Jacksonville based radio station at work... I think there's actually two different storms heading for Florida now.

Call me crazy, but myself and one of my best friends have this freakish desire to be in a hurricane. Just for the experience I guess :dunno:

We're planning on driving to the next one that hits close (provided its closer to a weekend and my daughter is with her dad). Too bad this is in Florida or I'd be extending my vacation a bit. :D

I see where your coming from. I don't know that I would want to be in a hurricane,but I love when a good storm blows through. Especially now that we are in our house. There is something exciting about it. You should see our local weathermen when it looks like we are going to get a good one! They get so excited.

Democrat4Bush said:
lilcountriegal, I live in Orlando, right in the projected path of Charlie which is now a cat 1 storm 74-95 mph sustained winds. Could be a cat 2 96-110 mph winds by Friday morning. South of Tampa looks like it will take the brunt

Take it from someone who has seen the destruction of a hurricane, you don't want to be there. I worked in Homestead after Andrew. I went down to help out with repairs, there was nothing to repair, it was leveled. Entire neighborhoods reduced to toothpicks.

Bonnie looks like it will come ashore in the panhandle as a Tropical storm or cat 1.

Krisy, thanks, we'll be careful.

Most definitely be careful and check back in with us...! I was under the impression that both Bonnie and Charlie were hitting in the same area... at least those people are spared twice teh destruction.

I can just imagine the devastation of a hurricane the size of Andrew... the pictures were horrific. I think Krisy pretty much nailed it on the head for me... I love a good storm. I definitely wouldnt be running after anything the size of Andrew, more like the cat 1 of Charlie's size. Even then it's probably one of those "I dont know what I'm getting myself into" type of things.

In any event, take care and be careful!!!

Back in June of 2001, Tropical Storm Allison (I think it was Allison) came through Houston. Actually, the way it came through was really quite funny. First, it comes inland from the Gulf, and hits us. Then it just sits on top of us for quite some time. Then, it moves northward, kind of toward Dallas. Then, it stalls, and comes back down over the top of us again! Anyway, back to the story...I have always shared that excitement over the storms, and kind of get happy when a storm like that is heading toward Texas in the Gulf. As it turned out, Allison didn't do us any particular harm, though I woke up at 2:00am (after it had been constantly pouring down rain and sometimes hail for many, many hours), only to find water all the way up to the house. If the water would have risen another inch or two, we would have flooded. I thought it was fun to have the experience.

Several days later, I went with a group from my church to help out some people in a more inner-city (and incidentally lower-lying) neighborhood. These people's houses had water lines 4 and 5 feet above ground level. They lost all their furniture. We spent the whole day ripping out carpet, tile, and sheetrock, moving the furniture to the front yard in hopes of salvaging something, and otherwise cleaning out a real mess. It was bad. Really made me wonder about whether I should want one of those hurricanes or tropical storms heading my way. Sure, the thunder and lightning and rain is fun, but the collateral damage just isn't cool.

-Douglas

Forum List

Back