Inhuman intrest

ErikViking

VIP Member
Apr 26, 2006
Stockholm - Sweden
heard on the radio today that ground research had come to the conclusion that a certain gene is isolated and that it is responsible for obesity. Well fine.

Ground research takes no actions about its findings.

But. Obesity is classified as a disease now a days. If a gene is found to be the problem, obesity is going to be treated a genetic disorder.

A "cure" will be developed. (Natural selection has been out for thast 200 years - natures way of correcting genetic disorders)

Got me thinking.

It took a couple of hundredthousands of years to develop this obesity-gene. It has a purpose and it is probably a very nice gene to have if you don't live in a modern city.

By "curing" this we will reverse evolution, making mankind just a bit less adapted to life as human on earth. Except - if we always have our cities and overproduction of food.

What do you think?

I also think much of our obesity problems can be "cured" by eating right, not overeating and by exercize. Even though some people gain more easily than others dosent mean that it cant be managed through good ol fashioned healthy lifestyle.

I think interferring on a genetic level with such a thing or trying to come up with some magic pill has some very problematic potential.

Our ability to store fat does indeed have a purpose...its our overeating, unhealthy eating habits and not enough exercize thats usually the problem.

People will find excuses for anything. Nothing is anyone’s fault any more. Arson has become a disease called pyromania. Theft is called kleptomania. Now a gene is making people fat. I don’t buy it. As my father told me, there were no fat people in concentration camps. If you want to lose weight, then eat less and exercise more.

People will find excuses for anything. Nothing is anyone’s fault any more. Arson has become a disease called pyromania. Theft is called kleptomania. Now a gene is making people fat. I don’t buy it. As my father told me, there were no fat people in concentration camps. If you want to lose weight, then eat less and exercise more.

Reasons aren't excuses.

Arson is committed for various reasons. Greed is one reason. Boredom is another reason. Vengeance is another. Sexual gratification is yet another. I've seen examples of each.

Theft is committed for various reasons. See above.

As for no fat people in concentration camps. Perhaps the guards. But with due respect to your dad, that's a pretty fallacious argument. Genes have an effect on normal bodies, not bodies on the edge of death all the time.

I agree with you in one way:
Some people would use a discovery like this to excuse their situation. But they have a certain point to it too.

While eating less and excersice more is a sound treatment (sound way of life too) it appearently do not work. Some can be fine by that, thinking that those persons are lazy and stupid. In a way ofcourse they are.

They are lazy and stupid as we all are - this gene might have less to do with that - rather it is targeting metabolism.

Knowing this and the extent of the problem it is equally right to say that modern life, as we have evolved our society, is dangerous - bad - to a large portion of the people. It is not their fault.

We should start thinking. Nature will by itself select genetic material for survival no matter what we do. We all have a responsability beyond personal scope to humanity.

Nutrition and exercise is probably the best solution though - they need help with that - our society doesn't make it natural for them. Obviously.

I agree with you in one way:
Some people would use a discovery like this to excuse their situation. But they have a certain point to it too.

While eating less and excersice more is a sound treatment (sound way of life too) it appearently do not work. Some can be fine by that, thinking that those persons are lazy and stupid. In a way ofcourse they are.

They are lazy and stupid as we all are - this gene might have less to do with that - rather it is targeting metabolism.

Knowing this and the extent of the problem it is equally right to say that modern life, as we have evolved our society, is dangerous - bad - to a large portion of the people. It is not their fault.

We should start thinking. Nature will by itself select genetic material for survival no matter what we do. We all have a responsability beyond personal scope to humanity.

Nutrition and exercise is probably the best solution though - they need help with that - our society doesn't make it natural for them. Obviously.

Yeah. Perhaps some people’s genetic make up makes it a little bit more difficult for them to lose weight but they can lose weight. If you eat very little, drink plenty of water, consume plenty of vitamins, exercise, and jog, you will lose weight.

Yeah. Perhaps some people’s genetic make up makes it a little bit more difficult for them to lose weight but they can lose weight. If you eat very little, drink plenty of water, consume plenty of vitamins, exercise, and jog, you will lose weight.

No doubt about that.

My main worry is that obesity will be "treaded" and human gene pool gets degenerated.

heard on the radio today that ground research had come to the conclusion that a certain gene is isolated and that it is responsible for obesity. Well fine.

Ground research takes no actions about its findings.

But. Obesity is classified as a disease now a days. If a gene is found to be the problem, obesity is going to be treated a genetic disorder.

A "cure" will be developed. (Natural selection has been out for thast 200 years - natures way of correcting genetic disorders)

Got me thinking.

It took a couple of hundredthousands of years to develop this obesity-gene. It has a purpose and it is probably a very nice gene to have if you don't live in a modern city.

By "curing" this we will reverse evolution, making mankind just a bit less adapted to life as human on earth. Except - if we always have our cities and overproduction of food.

What do you think?

Well first let me assure you that this specific gene isn't the sole cause of obesity worldwide. In all probability it's just one, probably large, genetic factor among many, many others. By "correcting" or removing this gene you aren't so much ending fatness as minimizing the risk that that particular gene promotes.

CNN said:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/27/obesity.study/index.html
The report's co-author says the government needs to treat this trend as an epidemic that threatens the health of Americans and put in place a national plan to combat obesity.
Obesity also affects the health of the nation's economy. Fat employees translate into fat medical bills for U.S. businesses trying to compete in an international marketplace.

A Duke University study that appeared in the Archives of Internal Medicine found 184 lost workdays per 100 obese full-time employees versus 14 lost workdays per 100 normal-weight full-time employees.

The average obese worker has up to 21 percent higher health care costs, the Duke report said.

A Medicare study found that obese patients cost the agency 15 percent more than normal or overweight patients.

Levi says individuals need the government's help to take control of their weight.

So, here we go.
If both economy and politics get involved something is going to be done. I wonder what path gets choosen.

What do you think?

Not sure why it would be reverse evolution, if it makes us deal with the current living conditions better. It is not "survival of the fattest".

If you (just a theoretical argument, there is no "cold" and "hot" gene) come from a cold climate and move to a hot one, and adapt to live there, then move back to a cold one, where your new adaptation to heat would be lethal, I'm not sure you would want to stick with the new, cool heat-adaptations and pay with your life, instead of "reverting back" to the old and crappy ability to survive in the cold again? :eusa_think:

Not sure why it would be reverse evolution, if it makes us deal with the current living conditions better. It is not "survival of the fattest".

It might come to that. We don't know.

If you (just a theoretical argument, there is no "cold" and "hot" gene) come from a cold climate and move to a hot one, and adapt to live there, then move back to a cold one, where your new adaptation to heat would be lethal, I'm not sure you would want to stick with the new, cool heat-adaptations and pay with your life, instead of "reverting back" to the old and crappy ability to survive in the cold again? :eusa_think:

I see the issue from another perspective. In your example "I" am a population of humans that over generations does the cold-hot-cold move. If we during the "hot" period manipulated the genetic strain so that all "cold-resistance" was eliminated no one would make the swap bak. All dead.

The too-much-food and to-little-exercise condition we are now adapting to is probably not a sustainable condition. We will revert evolution by eliminating genetic ability to stock fat on our bodies.

The too-much-food and to-little-exercise condition we are now adapting to is probably not a sustainable condition. We will revert evolution by eliminating genetic ability to stock fat on our bodies.

It might not be very intelligent to make an irreversible change to our genome. We could always keep the gene sequence around for reintroduction at a later time, though. Some flexibility is never a bad thing. :D

Forum List

Back