Inhofe Ignored in Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Political Junky, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    Jim Inhofe Ignored In Copenhagen
    :clap2:

Politico:

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) flew across the Atlantic and -- on little sleep -- braved the snow, the cold and the dark to deliver his skeptical message at the international climate conference.

What he found when he got here: a few aides and a single reporter.

Read the whole story: Politico

2. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    Jim Inhofe gets cool reception in Denmark - - POLITICO.com

COPENHAGEN — Sen. Jim Inhofe flew across the Atlantic and — on little sleep — braved the snow, the cold and the dark to deliver his skeptical message at the international climate conference.

What he found when he got here: a few aides and a single reporter.

“I think he’s going to be a little disappointed,” one of his aides remarked.

Inhofe was at least impatient.

The ranking Republican on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee hoped to spread two messages in Copenhagen: Global warming is a hoax, and there’s no way the Senate is going to pass a cap-and-trade bill.

But it was early morning when he arrived at the Bella Center, and the halls were still half-deserted. He walked quickly, brushing off an aide who suggested that he slow down and take a breath.

“I don’t want to breathe — I want to get something done,” he said.

The senator didn’t have any meetings scheduled in Copenhagen, and he did not see chief U.S. negotiator Todd Stern or the members of the House delegation, who were not scheduled to fly in until later in the afternoon.

But Inhofe’s aides eventually rustled up a group of reporters, and the Oklahoman — wearing black snakeskin cowboy boots — held forth from the top of a flight of stairs in the conference media center.

“We in the United States owe it to the 191 countries to be well-informed and know what the intentions of the United States are. The United States is not going to pass a cap and trade,” he said. “It’s just not going to happen.”

A reporter asked: “If there’s a hoax, then who’s putting on this hoax, and what’s the motive?”

“It started in the United Nations,” Inhofe said, “and the ones in the United States who really grab ahold of this is the Hollywood elite.”

One reporter asked Inhofe if he was referring to California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Another reporter — this one from Der Spiegel — told the senator: “You’re ridiculous.”

Inhofe ignored the jab, fielded a few more questions, then raced to the airport for the nine-hour flight back to Washington.

After Inhofe left, some reporters were still a bit confused about what had happened and who he was.

“His name is Inhofe,” a German journalist told a Japanese reporter, “but I don’t know if it’s one or two f’s.”

3. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    That's funny stuff.

I think it's a real shock for some of these sceptics to find that most conservative politicians are now fully on board with tackling climate change, and even more of a shock to find no one is really interested in what they have to say any more.

Poor old Inhofe, though, if only he'd have been born 20 years earlier he might have been in the right place at the right time!

4. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    :wtf:

5. PatekPhilippe

PatekPhilippe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Who cares? Obama was ignored as well....and he managed to piss off our creditors.

6. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,482
    Inhofe is ignored here as well

7. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The myth:

The reality:

The Copenhagen Accord is based on a proposal tabled on Friday by a US-led group of five nations - including China, India, Brazil and South Africa - that President Barack Obama called a "meaningful agreement".

The accord includes a recognition to limit temperature rises to less than 2C and promises to deliver $30bn (£18.5bn) of aid for developing nations over the next three years.

BBC News - UN welcomes climate summit deal

8. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

It's obvious that you think that CO2 emissions can cause climate change.

Would you mind proving it?

9. Sodafin

Sodafin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    We know that 95% of the worlds glaciers are in retreat, that ocean ph is changing, that the volume of polar ice is trending dramatically downwards, that ocean water levels are rising, and that desertification and drought are growing problems.

I don't claim to have the scientific knowledge to know what role CO2 plays or does not play in all that, but as long as the science continue to match the reality I see in the world, I'm comfortable that they are on the right track.

10. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i'm sure the copenhagen accord will enjoy the same success as the kyoto protocol has.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2