Inhofe Ignored in Copenhagen

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Jim Inhofe Ignored In Copenhagen
:clap2:

Politico:

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) flew across the Atlantic and -- on little sleep -- braved the snow, the cold and the dark to deliver his skeptical message at the international climate conference.

What he found when he got here: a few aides and a single reporter.

Read the whole story: Politico

Jim Inhofe gets cool reception in Denmark - - POLITICO.com

COPENHAGEN — Sen. Jim Inhofe flew across the Atlantic and — on little sleep — braved the snow, the cold and the dark to deliver his skeptical message at the international climate conference.

What he found when he got here: a few aides and a single reporter.

“I think he’s going to be a little disappointed,” one of his aides remarked.

Inhofe was at least impatient.

The ranking Republican on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee hoped to spread two messages in Copenhagen: Global warming is a hoax, and there’s no way the Senate is going to pass a cap-and-trade bill.

But it was early morning when he arrived at the Bella Center, and the halls were still half-deserted. He walked quickly, brushing off an aide who suggested that he slow down and take a breath.

“I don’t want to breathe — I want to get something done,” he said.

The senator didn’t have any meetings scheduled in Copenhagen, and he did not see chief U.S. negotiator Todd Stern or the members of the House delegation, who were not scheduled to fly in until later in the afternoon.

But Inhofe’s aides eventually rustled up a group of reporters, and the Oklahoman — wearing black snakeskin cowboy boots — held forth from the top of a flight of stairs in the conference media center.

“We in the United States owe it to the 191 countries to be well-informed and know what the intentions of the United States are. The United States is not going to pass a cap and trade,” he said. “It’s just not going to happen.”

A reporter asked: “If there’s a hoax, then who’s putting on this hoax, and what’s the motive?”

“It started in the United Nations,” Inhofe said, “and the ones in the United States who really grab ahold of this is the Hollywood elite.”

One reporter asked Inhofe if he was referring to California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Another reporter — this one from Der Spiegel — told the senator: “You’re ridiculous.”

Inhofe ignored the jab, fielded a few more questions, then raced to the airport for the nine-hour flight back to Washington.

After Inhofe left, some reporters were still a bit confused about what had happened and who he was.

“His name is Inhofe,” a German journalist told a Japanese reporter, “but I don’t know if it’s one or two f’s.”

That's funny stuff.

I think it's a real shock for some of these sceptics to find that most conservative politicians are now fully on board with tackling climate change, and even more of a shock to find no one is really interested in what they have to say any more.

Poor old Inhofe, though, if only he'd have been born 20 years earlier he might have been in the right place at the right time!

That's funny stuff.

I think it's a real shock for some of these sceptics to find that most conservative politicians are now fully on board with tackling climate change, and even more of a shock to find no one is really interested in what they have to say any more.

Poor old Inhofe, though, if only he'd have been born 20 years earlier he might have been in the right place at the right time!
:wtf:

The myth:

Obama was ignored as well.....

The reality:

The Copenhagen Accord is based on a proposal tabled on Friday by a US-led group of five nations - including China, India, Brazil and South Africa - that President Barack Obama called a "meaningful agreement".

The accord includes a recognition to limit temperature rises to less than 2C and promises to deliver $30bn (£18.5bn) of aid for developing nations over the next three years.

BBC News - UN welcomes climate summit deal

That's funny stuff.

It's obvious that you think that CO2 emissions can cause climate change.

Would you mind proving it?

That's funny stuff.

We know that 95% of the worlds glaciers are in retreat, that ocean ph is changing, that the volume of polar ice is trending dramatically downwards, that ocean water levels are rising, and that desertification and drought are growing problems.

I don't claim to have the scientific knowledge to know what role CO2 plays or does not play in all that, but as long as the science continue to match the reality I see in the world, I'm comfortable that they are on the right track.

The myth:

Obama was ignored as well.....

The reality:

The Copenhagen Accord is based on a proposal tabled on Friday by a US-led group of five nations - including China, India, Brazil and South Africa - that President Barack Obama called a "meaningful agreement".

The accord includes a recognition to limit temperature rises to less than 2C and promises to deliver $30bn (£18.5bn) of aid for developing nations over the next three years.

BBC News - UN welcomes climate summit deal

and the Treaty is NON ENFORCEABLE..got it?

At this stage, yes, but there is hope it can become binding next year.

I certainly hope so, but even if it can't, I don't think the US can be blamed. It is countries like China, Brazil and India who need to work faster as well - not only the US.

At this stage, yes, but there is hope it can become binding next year.

I certainly hope so, but even if it can't, I don't think the US can be blamed. It is countries like China, Brazil and India who need to work faster as well - not only the US.

Put hope in one hand and shit in the other.....see which one fills up faster. China, India both told Obama to pack sand.

That's funny stuff.

We know that 95% of the worlds glaciers are in retreat, that ocean ph is changing, that the volume of polar ice is trending dramatically downwards, that ocean water levels are rising, and that desertification and drought are growing problems.

I don't claim to have the scientific knowledge to know what role CO2 plays or does not play in all that, but as long as the science continue to match the reality I see in the world, I'm comfortable that they are on the right track.

ScienceDaily (Apr. 23, 2008) — The Antarctic deep sea is getting colder, which might stimulate the circulation of the oceanic water masses. This is the first result of the Polarstern expedition of the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in the Helmholtz Association that has just ended in Punta Arenas/Chile. At the same time satellite images from the Antarctic summer have shown the largest sea-ice extent on record
Antarctic Deep Sea Gets Colder

That's funny stuff.

The state of the science does not know one way or the other what the magnitude and significance that anthropogenic CO2 has on global temps. So, that science matches your reality?

The state of the science does not know one way or the other what the magnitude and significance that anthropogenic CO2 has on global temps. So, that science matches your reality?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think so.

The theory of climate change would suggest increasing drought, desertification, changes in ocean ph, collapsing glaciers.

The reality we see in the world now shows those changes taking place.

Of course, science can not make 100% accurate predictions of anything as variable as climate, but the predicted trends seem to be quite real.

Patek -

China, India both told Obama to pack sand.

Then by all means present some evidence to support that statement.

Because otherwise it just sounds like the latest in a long line of laughable and desperate attempts to blame Obama for anything and everything.

Soda , however as in all scientific conclusions the key word is "THEORY" and while Dr. Mann's tree rings may suggest what you posted. Dr. Chirs Landsea formally of the IPCC tends to disagree with that and thus it is a theory. Further, data suggests that while the Artic temps may and I suggest may be trending upwards the data suggests the opposite in the Antartic. further data also suggests that the UHI effect when taken out of temp. data indicates that a warming trend is not what the AGW community suggests it is. The bottom line is this, when you seek to legislate from one set of scientific conclusions, or theories, you limit further discovery in that field of study to the contrary. I have also shown that the so called " settled science" is never settled. I will point to the planet or now non-planet pluto as a reminder.

The state of the science does not know one way or the other what the magnitude and significance that anthropogenic CO2 has on global temps. So, that science matches your reality?

Yes, I think so.

The theory of climate change would suggest increasing drought, desertification, changes in ocean ph, collapsing glaciers.

The reality we see in the world now shows those changes taking place.

Of course, science can not make 100% accurate predictions of anything as variable as climate, but the predicted trends seem to be quite real.

Patek -

China, India both told Obama to pack sand.

Then by all means present some evidence to support that statement.

Because otherwise it just sounds like the latest in a long line of laughable and desperate attempts to blame Obama for anything and everything.
[/QUOTE]

Look Fin...mind your own business about our politics....anyway...read it and weep...
China transforms balance of power in Copenhagen's negotiating halls | Jonathan Watts | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Patek -

How is what China does "your" politics any more than mine?

There is no question at all that China is a major player on the world scale, and I don't see anyone denying that. There is also no question that China has it's own voice - and one often at odds with that of other countries. How anyone could interpret that as telling Obama to "pack sand" I have no idea.

Soda , however as in all scientific conclusions the key word is "THEORY" and while Dr. Mann's tree rings may suggest what you posted. Dr. Chirs Landsea formally of the IPCC tends to disagree with that and thus it is a theory. Further, data suggests that while the Artic temps may and I suggest may be trending upwards the data suggests the opposite in the Antartic.

Actually not - the western Antarctic has been in serious decline for many years - a trend which it seems now may be spreading Eastwards, to an area which had been very stable.

We can consider 'climate change' overall to be a theory, I agree, but in areas where general scientific consensus exists (collapsing glaciers, thinning arctic ice, changing ocean ph, rising ocean levels) I think we can say that the time at which those elements were purely theoretical has passed some time ago.

Forum List

Back