Infrastructure - NOW!

R

rdean

Dams, bridges, roads, power grid, rail, waterways. Since 2000, every system in America has fallen into disrepair. You have the dam breaking in Hawaii and the packed bridge falling during rush hour in Minnesota. Power outages. 70,000 unsafe bridges nationwide. It's only a matter of time. My advice don't live downstream from a dam.

Republicans say, "So what? It's not our job to rebuild America". I say they are wrong and it's the right thing to do.

Editorial: State dam inspections fall far behind acceptable pace

TCEQ has only seven inspectors to keep track of 7,603 dams.

The Victoria Advocate - Google News Archive Search

Dam inspections in Texas

Old U.S. dams become a multibillion-dollar threat | Homeland Security News Wire

The average age of America’s 80,000 dams is 51 years. More than 2,000 dams near population centers are in need of repair, according to statistics released this month by the Association of State Dam Safety Officials.

There was little state or Federal regulation, particularly of the little dams in small watersheds, until the 1970s, when five major dam failures took hundreds of lives and caused almost $1.5 billion in damage. The Carter administration began to put safeguards in place, but the inspections continue to be carried out at the state level.

The number of high-hazard dams has increased from less than 9,000 in 2001 to more than 10,000 now

http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL31556.pdf

Following the September 11, 2001 attacks, President Bush signed new
Executive Orders relating to critical infrastructure protection.
--------The problem here is that Bush only wanted to “protect”, not maintain or rebuild.

Do conservatives feel we should rebuild America?

we should not be spending one us tax dollar outside of us boarders....or on anything except us citizens and on us soil....no need to send trillons anyway...no need to have military bases anywhere but on us soil unless paid for in full by the host nation....

i am sure iraq afganistan and haiti will soon have better roads bridges and schools than most of the us.....

And yet the canals built by the Mayan over 1,000 years ago are still going strong.

It is the responsibility of the state governments that build the things to maintain them to a safe standard. To much of what goes on in state capitals is maintenance budgets are less important than interest group studies at local community colleges.

Here in Portland we have renamed several city streets over the last several years after liberal icons. this costs lots of money in new signage and the like. But the city council can't be bothered with the pot hole issue in the streets they re name.

Jethro Bodine said:
School buses don't float...

Just ask Ray Nagin! :lol::lol::lol:

school_buses.jpg

Why do we States? Seriously. Why? Is there ANYTHING that they're responsible for or is it all up to the Federal Gubbamint?

I have GREAT IDEA!!!!

What if the bridges charged people money to cross them??? ZOMG!!!!

The states could use that money to fund maintenance and upkeep!!!

ZOMG!! I have to call my patent attorney!!!

• Thanks
Reactions: rr1
It is the responsibility of the state governments that build the things to maintain them to a safe standard. To much of what goes on in state capitals is maintenance budgets are less important than interest group studies at local community colleges.

Here in Portland we have renamed several city streets over the last several years after liberal icons. this costs lots of money in new signage and the like. But the city council can't be bothered with the pot hole issue in the streets they re name.

You mean like Ronald Reagan Blvd, and Eisenhower High?

Why do we States? Seriously. Why? Is there ANYTHING that they're responsible for or is it all up to the Federal Gubbamint?

Republicans took that money and threw it away in the Iraq and Afghanistan.

Republicans took that money and threw it away in the Iraq and Afghanistan.

wasn't it awful.....i am sure glad the dems in congress all voted not to send any money and fillibustered that move and then once they got voted in and held a super majority voted to only spend money on us citizens and infrastructure......

Forum List

Back