CDZ Information

If you're referring to the Democrats' economic proposals as opposed to the Republicans' economic proposals

I'm certainly not. The hypothetical scenario I described is just that. In the context of this discussion, I don't care which party's members may have proposed either, or even that some may have or did. May aim is only to illustrate point that the knowledge one needs can be gained in high school and that the knowledge thus gained, though not an expert level, is enough to guide one in prudent "sanity checking."

I don't know that, and I graduated high school and have a B.A. Go out on the sidewalk and ask some random folks or chat at your local diner. I am not alone by a long shot. And you don't want me to vote for that reason? Well, excuse me, fella, but I got something to say about that!

Whether I want you to vote or abstain depends on whether you also refrain from bothering to find out the basics of economics aren't part of your formal training even though they were not among your formal training.

You see though I know that one can pick up the basics one needs during high school, I know too that not everyone does; moreover, there will typically be some issues our elected and appointed leaders are called to resolve and that most folks will not have had any opportunity to learn about in high school. One may miss out on the opportunity for a host of good reasons: one's schools don't offer the content; in choosing one set of course, one simply lacked time to pursue other topics that may have been offered, etc.

As go matters of either quality -- those addressed directly by formal education and those not -- it bothers me not too much that folks don't pick up the requisite knowledge in high school, or even in college, but when after having missed that opportunity, folks allow themselves to remain in that state being fundamentally uninformed and they yet express an opinion on the matter -- be it directly and with regard to a specific topic, as we do sometimes here, or indirectly and overall as by voting for a candidate -- well, that's when I take exception.

I should note too that I'm not talking about developing a basic knowledge about arcane matters. I don't think anyone in the general public need be well informed at all about something such as the demise of, say, the blue footed boobie or spotted owl. I do, however, think it worth one finding out whether those species' demise is due to a sequence of events that affect more than just those two creatures. By the same token, were we to observe that, say, bird, bee or butterfly populations on the whole are being decimated, well, that's something worth getting well informed about regardless of whether one picked up the needed content in school. Even not having studied much environmental science or zoology, one must surely understand that such things are (1) detrimental to human life and (2) they don't just happen as part of the natural course of natural events. We all would realize that much, so the thing to do is to get informed about what might plausibly cause such a thing.

Forum List

Back