Inflation higher than you think.

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
The CPI is not an accurate measure of inflation, someone anyone who is not rich realizes every time they go shopping.

EB201203-2.jpg

EB201203-4.jpg

Forget the modest 3.1 percent rise in the Consumer Price Index, the government's widely used measure of inflation. Everyday prices are up some 8 percent over the past year, according to the American Institute for Economic Research.
The not-for-profit research group measures inflation without looking at the big, one-time purchases that can skew the numbers. That means they don't look at the price of houses, furniture, appliances, cars, or computers. Instead, AIER focuses on Americans' typical daily purchases, such as food, gasoline, child care, prescription drugs, phone and television service, and other household products.

The institute contends that to get a good read on inflation's "sticker shock" effect, you must look at the cost of goods that the average household buys at least once a month and factor in only the kinds of expenses that are subject to change. That, too, eliminates the cost of housing because when you finance your home with a fixed-rate mortgage, that expense remains constant until you refinance or move. The group maintains that this index better measures the real-world impact of price changes, particularly for people on a budget. And, largely as the result of the recent run-up in gas prices, this "everyday price index" (EPI) suggests that Americans are being pinched far more tightly than the official inflation measure would have you believe.
Over the past year, the EPI is up just over 8 percent, according to the economics group. The biggest factor: Motor fuel and transportation costs are up 21.06 percent from year-ago levels. The cost of food, prescription drugs, and tobacco also have increased faster than the government's inflation measure, rising 3.56 percent, 4.21 percent, and 3.4 percent, respectively.

Inflation: Not as low as you think - CBS News

The report is here.

The EPI Reflects Basic Economic Change | AIER

So you're calling the Obama administration a bunch of LIARS? That's RACIST! You're a bigot! You're also closed-minded! You're not being fair! You must be a right wing extremist! I'm going to report you to Obama's internet police!

Wow, I need a shower. ACTING like a bedwetting leftist Obamanista makes me feel DIRTY.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I believe they changed the way inflation is/was measured, to make it look better than it actually is. Same with unemployment, we're being lied to. But then I suppose most of us know that.

Then I guess in all fairness we should tie Social Security cost of living increases to the higher, 'real', rate.

Right after we add means testing, raise the retirement age, and completely fund the trust fund.

Last edited:
So you're calling the Obama administration a bunch of LIARS?

And the Bush, Jr. Administration. And Clinton. And Bush, Sr. And Reagan.

The chart goes back to 1987.

Amazing how that works, isn't it? Yes inflation is somewhat higher than stated for most people. There really is no argument to that, but the system currently used is the same as has been used through past administrations, as you pointed out.

Then I guess in all fairness we should tie Social Security cost of living increases to the higher, 'real', rate.

Right after we add means testing, raise the retirement age, and completely fund the trust fund.

Let's see.....we've already raised the retirement age so that leaves completely funding the trust fund. And I propose that we eliminate the earnings cap and then increase taxes to cover the shortfall.

What kind of means testing would you like to see?

Inflation higher than you think.

The CPI is not an accurate measure of inflation, someone anyone who is not rich realizes every time they go shopping.

True.

Just bought another month's worth of # 2 heating fuel.

100 g at $3.80 per gal = $380.

When I first moved into this house (1991) I paid about $0.89 per gallon.

That's a 400% increase in the last 20 years.

Has the median family income risen 400% in the last 20 years?

Not hardly.

And the theory that "SUBSTIUTION" needs to be taken into acount when computing CPI is a perfect example of how state economists are moving the goalposts to obfucate the truth.

If steak cost X dollars one week, and it cost $X + Y dollars the next week, claiming that substiuting hamburger for steak means there was NO PRICE RISE is intellectual hooey!

Pretending that fuel prices are somehow not part of the cost of living, or that those rising prices are captured in everything else is another example of the flim-flammery of our reporting agencies.

And the theory that "SUBSTIUTION" needs to be taken into acount when computing CPI is a perfect example of how state economists are moving the goalposts to obfucate the truth.

If steak cost X dollars one week, and it cost $X + Y dollars the next week, claiming that substiuting hamburger for steak means there was NO PRICE RISE is intellectual hooey!

Pretending that fuel prices are somehow not part of the cost of living, or that those rising prices are captured in everything else is another example of the flim-flammery of our reporting agencies.

I don't think it's intellectual hooey at all. The CPI is meant to measure an average basket of goods that a consumer might actually buy. Wen people substituted out of Compact Discs into less-expensive MP3's, or when people substitute out of old and expensive computer memory and into less expensive more modern memory, why shouldn't the CPI reflect that?

Let's see.....we've already raised the retirement age so that leaves completely funding the trust fund. And I propose that we eliminate the earnings cap and then increase taxes to cover the shortfall.

We haven't raised the retirement age enough, imo. I would like to see it raised to 70 for both SS and Medicare while allowing for earlier retirement for those who are disabled. I realize that there are many manual labor type jobs that do wear on the body much more than other jobs. For those who cannot continue working past the current retirement age, they should receive some type of early retirement benefits. For everyone else though, they need to work longer. There is a catch to this though. Employers must be willing and motivated to actually continue employing older workers.

I would also agree to removing the earnings cap but would reduce the rate for taxes above the current cap. In other words, instead of a combined rate of 15.65%, the rate might drop to 10% for all income taxes above the current cap. It would still be a very large tax increase for those paying it. Last of all, if you don't need SS, then you don't get it. However, I would suggest that this would only include the truly wealthy. Someone who has saved $1 million for retirement is not truly wealthy and should not lose SS benefits just because they did a good job of saving for retirement. On the other hand, someone with $20 million in assets really does not need the SS benefits. The real question is where to draw the line and do you make a hard cutoff or do you put in place a gradual reduction leading to a cutoff at a certain level?

So you're calling the Obama administration a bunch of LIARS?

And the Bush, Jr. Administration. And Clinton. And Bush, Sr. And Reagan.

The chart goes back to 1987.

Amazing how that works, isn't it? Yes inflation is somewhat higher than stated for most people. There really is no argument to that, but the system currently used is the same as has been used through past administrations, as you pointed out.

Doesn't make it right.

So? Raising the retirement age does what? Perpetuates the ponzi scheme that much longer doesn't it?:eusa_hand::eusa_whistle:

Damn good question. One thing I know, if you can afford a private jet you don't need SS or Medicare.

Damn good question. One thing I know, if you can afford a private jet you don't need SS or Medicare.

Or if you're a retiring Congresscritter.

Forum List

Back