Infinity War - Good not great

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
I thought it started out awesome and was a good movie all around. Without giving away too much, I wasn’t happy with the end battle scene and the ending in general. The Dr Strange decision was poorly written. Also the Hulk non-Hulk conflict was damn annoying. Also the absence of a bunch of characters was not the best.

I wouldn’t say it wasn’t a top 10 superhero movie. CA2, CA3, Dark Knight, Batman Begjns, GoG, Deadpool, Ragnorak, Avengers 1, Ironman 1 and Watchmen (yes I love this movie) were better.

I thought it started out awesome and was a good movie all around. Without giving away too much, I wasn’t happy with the end battle scene and the ending in general. The Dr Strange decision was poorly written. Also the Hulk non-Hulk conflict was damn annoying. Also the absence of a bunch of characters was not the best.

I wouldn’t say it wasn’t a top 10 superhero movie. CA2, CA3, Dark Knight, Batman Begjns, GoG, Deadpool, Ragnorak, Avengers 1, Ironman 1 and Watchmen (yes I love this movie) were better.

I caught on Dr. Strange's decision too, but the ending honestly caught me off guard, which isn't something Marvel movies have really been able to do.

I don't know if I have enough distance from it to accurately rank it, but I enjoyed it.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the comic story line, Infinity Gauntlet, which is what Infinity War is largely based on. If not, I could see how the ending would be a surprise. I personally loved Infinity War more than nearly all other Marvel movies, because Disney had the balls to actually tell the real, comic book story.

Yes, they made a lot of changes, but those changes were necessary for the film version, IMO. Despite those changes, I felt that Disney stayed true to the comic book for the most part. I'm still collecting my thoughts since I just watched it a few hours ago. I'll write up my own review later.

I caught on Dr. Strange's decision too, but the ending honestly caught me off guard, which isn't something Marvel movies have really been able to do.

I don't know if I have enough distance from it to accurately rank it, but I enjoyed it.

I was expecting that, since I had the comic. I grip was the end Wakanda scene fight scene wasn’t that great. Also the hulk no hulk storyline got very annoying.

However I really like how it began and Thor’s journey with the guardians. I like the execution of Stark and Quill’s plan. The new villains (children of Thanos) were pretty cool.

The flushed out Thano’s character pretty well and make him a multi-dimensional character.

It was good, just not great.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the comic story line, Infinity Gauntlet, which is what Infinity War is largely based on. If not, I could see how the ending would be a surprise. I personally loved Infinity War more than nearly all other Marvel movies, because Disney had the balls to actually tell the real, comic book story.

Yes, they made a lot of changes, but those changes were necessary for the film version, IMO. Despite those changes, I felt that Disney stayed true to the comic book for the most part. I'm still collecting my thoughts since I just watched it a few hours ago. I'll write up my own review later.

I still have the infinity gauntlet series! My biggest nerd grips were the absences of Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer. They were the 2 biggest players in the comic. Also I wonder if the celestials will make a play as they did in the comic.

Also Thanos motivation in the comic was a desire to appease Death and not to be a tree-hugging liberal.

They are obviously going to find a way to bring back all the hero’s and people that were vaporized. I wonder if the hero’s killed that weren’t vaporized will come back: Hemidal, Loki and Gamora.

My guess is vaporized yes, killed outside of vaporization no.

I believe they will bring back Vision for Avengers IV

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Spoilers:

Yeah, I wasn't expecting any of the Fox characters to appear since the Disney buyout of Fox hasn't been completed yet. At best, I thought maybe 1-2 of Fox's characters might show up. I suspect some or a lot of those Fox characters might get an appearance in Avengers 4.

I used to own the entire Infinity Gauntlet series including a lot of the Infinity Watch stuff. I don't have them anymore.I would love to see some X-Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, etc. in Avengers 4.

IMO, changing Thanos' motivation was necessary. It worked in the comic book that he was doing it all to appease Death, but I like his movie motivation a lot more. I like movie Thanos a lot more.

I also agree that anyone who died before Thanos snapped his fingers at the end likely won't come back. However, I think Starlord might get to bring Gamora back in some kind of redemption for fucking everything up in Infinity War.

I just watched the movie last night. Good but not great is a fair description.

The good: Plenty of good action
The humor was a bit hit or miss, but more hit than miss, and some of it was hilarious
Almost every MCU hero got some screen time

The bad: Inconsistency! This is also a problem with comics in general. For example, while Captain America is supposed to be at the pinnacle of what is possible for a human being, that's nothing compared to the strength of someone like the Hulk. Yet, for some reason, Cap gets to stand toe-to-toe with Thanos for nearly as long as Hulk did, and Thanos had more stones when Cap fought him!
Thanos's character/motivation. Inconsistency is a problem with Thanos, too. Is he a power-hungry, torturing, evil tyrant? Or is he a misunderstood but benevolent savior? I understand that the Infinity Gauntlet story doesn't work in the MCU, but not only is Thanos's plan full of flaws (is someone else supposed to do the same thing when population levels once again get high?), his motivation seems to fly in the face of all previous descriptions of him in the MCU. See: Gamora and Nebula.
Bad CGI. For a movie which had a budget as large as this, there was some surprisingly bad CGI. I remember particularly a scene near the end in which you see
Rhodey and Banner in their respective suits, with their uncovered heads showing.
That was absolutely horrible CGI. Also, some of the scenes with Thanos had him moving in a jerky, mechanical-looking fashion. I was not impressed.

Some of the problems were probably inevitable. Too many characters to shoehorn in to a limited time frame. I would recommend any MCU fan see this in theaters, but it didn't have the impact of the first Avengers or GotG.

I also think that the movie might have been better without any familiarity with the comic story. :dunno:

`
I read the entire series years ago, in comic book and now, "CBR" format. Most notably left out was the love Thanos had for "Mistress Death". Also absent are the higher power entities and abstractions like Galactus, the Stranger, the Watcher, Eternity/Infinity, Chaos/Order, the Celestials, the In-betweeneretc. I hope to see Nebula prominently in #4. Disney/Marvel is getting way too slapstick for my tastes.
`

`
I read the entire series years ago, in comic book and now, "CBR" format. Most notably left out was the love Thanos had for "Mistress Death". Also absent are the higher power entities and abstractions like Galactus, the Stranger, the Watcher, Eternity/Infinity, Chaos/Order, the Celestials, the In-betweeneretc. I hope to see Nebula prominently in #4. Disney/Marvel is getting way too slapstick for my tastes.
`

I actually think a lot of the comedy has worked in recent films, particularly Infinity War and Thor: Ragnarok. I worry about the dramatic parts of the movies holding up, though.

Forum List

Back