Infant mortality and nations.

Fascinating that no-one on this thread has spotted the two huge elephants in the room.

In the UK we have had this story plastered all over the media too. Shock horror, 'UK still births are almost the worst in Europe! 11 babies stillborn every day!'. The articles then go on to list a host of causes for birth complications leading to dead babies. As usual, smoking, alcohol, malnutrition/ bad nutrition were mentioned, but also, the two elephants I mention above.

IMHO (sure further research will back this up): The reason for our poor showing in these stats are:

1: OBESITY. The US is the most obese nation on earth. The UK is the most obese nation in Europe. Go look up ovarian cysts and other fat related fertility conditions etc.
2: AGE OF MOTHERS. Our Anglo-Saxon capitalist culture has driven both men and women to concentrate on career, career, career, resulting in many couples putting off plans for children/ families until their late 30s or if they're even richer their late 40s or 50s (e.g. u know what I mean, plenty of celebs leading the way here).

It baffles me that no articles I've read here in the UK have mentioned these two factors, but then our tabloid press is legendary and not interested in boring old solutions to problems.

They aren't mentioned because there's no correlation. While obesity and advanced maternal age increase risk to mother and child, there is no epidemic of baby deaths caused by obesity and advanced maternal age. In other words, it's a completely different topic.

What???? You don't think being overweight is going to increase ALL birth problems including stillbirths? No correlation??? Next you will try and tell me age of the mother has nothing to do with chances of miscarriage or downs syndrome.

Stillbirths Persist in America: A Hidden Consequence of Obesity - Daniel Fromson - Life - The Atlantic

all this crap about poverty and race is just bullsh. You only have to look at the endlessly reposted stats for the different countries above to realise that! Data manipulation/ collection methods is also a red herring. Talk of diabetes being a cause is also a red herring, cos the main cause of diabetes is.... Obesity.

Face it folks these high rates of stillbirth are (amongst others) cos we're all too fat!

The U.S. has a higher rate because of its black population. Black infants die at much higher rates because of the place of blacks on the r-K scale. You'll see uniformity for blacks on this, whether in the U.S. or Africa.
Economic inequality has a lot to do with infant mortality. I believe more than race.
West Virginia:
Income Level Rank is 49th in the nation
Infant Mortality Rank is 10th in the nation
Black population Rank is only 38th in the nation.

It's not economic inequality that affects infant mortality, it's POVERTY.

If we were all poor, then the mortality rate would not reduce, it would increase.

Moron.

And it really doesn't mean much at all when you're comparing first-tier nations to each other.

How about let's hear you statistical experts come up with a hooey on this stat:
Life expectancy:
A fill in the blank test for all you fanciers of the slogan "America has the best health care in the world".
36. The United States.

Forum List

Back