Inequality, the Middle Class, and Growth

The biggest advantage of having the uber-rich paying their fair share in taxes is that our natonal debt would be greatly reduced.

For Obama's 'Buffet rule,' that great reduction would be 3 days worth of Federal spending over the 11 years he had the CBO review.

And of course, Leftists would add way, way more than an additional 3 days worth of additional debt during that timespan if we let them.

Your comment is complete, unadulterated nonsense.

Do most people have a reasonable choice to that? Chicken/egg. One problem feeds the other.

This didn't happen overnight.

I remember when Walmart ran a program, perhaps for a decade, where they put domestic made products right next to competing imports, and put us signs everywhere promoting the brand names that were 'made in America' and in particular, made right in the State where the people who were purchasing the products lived.

Guess what?

All of you Leftists bought the cheapest import slave-labor shit you could get your hands on, and the program failed.

Jared Bernstein: Inequality, the Middle Class, and Growth

Trickle-down economics, inequality, and incomes. Another piece of evidence with implications for rebuilding a strong middle class comes from new work by economists Emmanuel Saez et al. As shown in the figures from their paper (see here), they use international evidence from a wide variety of advanced economies to examine two key links in the logic of the supply-side chain.

First, they look at the relationship between the top marginal income tax rate in these countries and the change in income inequality. They find a strong negative correlation: in countries like ours that cut the top marginal tax rate, income is a lot more skewed (and note that this refers to pretax income, so the result is not a direct function of the tax policy changes).

But the critical question for supply-side is whether these high-end marginal tax rate reductions lead to faster income growth (we've already seen that they lead to more income inequality). The bottom figure shows that they do not. Real per capita income growth across these countries is unrelated to the changes in tax rates.

The above points emphasize an economic rationale for a growth model more favorable to the middle class. More broadly shared growth would not only score higher on a fairness criterion; it would provide a more reliable and durable structure for overall growth itself. It is no accident, in this regard, that the era of heightened inequality coincides with the arrival and persistence of what I've called "the shampoo economy:" bubble, bust, repeat.

Why do non-rich Repugs continually vote against their economic interests? Mental illness?

The minute you made this about REPUBLICANS and you shat on your own thread.

Too bad, because otherwise this issue is one that deserves consideration.

Instead of discussing the ECON of the issue, now this thread turns into nothing more and another childish BITCHFEST.

Do most people have a reasonable choice to that? Chicken/egg. One problem feeds the other.

I remember when Walmart ran a program, perhaps for a decade, where they put domestic made products right next to competing imports, and put us signs everywhere promoting the brand names that were 'made in America' and in particular, made right in the State where the people who were purchasing the products lived.

Guess what?

All of you Leftists bought the cheapest import slave-labor shit you could get your hands on, and the program failed.

Only the leftists? You got facts to prove your(once again) ridiculously hyperbolic assumptions? Why do I even ask?

Don't start that dribble. Of course people have choices.
The problem is people never even think about what they are buying beyond what they pay for it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSmlmXp-aU]WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price -- teaser trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Guess what?

Only the leftists?

No. But it is only you Leftists weeping like little bitches about your own decision making.

The problem is people never even think about what they are buying beyond what they pay for it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSmlmXp-aU]WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price -- teaser trailer - YouTube[/ame]
Bullshit. When people are struggling to survive, National loyalty takes on a secondary role. You have a large chunk of the population who have seen their wages stagnate for the past 30 years, having to pay more and more out of their pockets to be able to have health insurance, and that's not even getting into the ever rising cost of living in general...trust me....it's not nearly the choice you are implying.

That is the REAL problem in America.
We always think it is the other guy...never us...we're not part of the problem...no way. :doubt:

What computer are you typing on? Dell, Acer, Compaq...etc. - You evil bastard...don't you know all of these computer makers use FoxConn?? You are supporting slave labor.
Where was your refridgerator manufactured? Stove, Dishwasher?? You don't even know do you? None of them better be a G.E. appliance or you are fully supporting a CEO who has laid off more Americans than anyother company in the world....who also happens to be an advisor to Obama.

Put your money where your big mouth is...choose what you buy. Or be like all of the other sheeple and go on the unemployment dole and food stamps that has increased by 45%.

Guess what?

Only the leftists?

No. But it is only you Leftists weeping like little bitches about your own decision making.

I see no whining.....I see a lot of excuses from the right. Excuses that allow the cycle of low wages and reduced benefits for the workforce and massive profiteering from the elite class to continue unabated.

]
Bullshit. When people are struggling to survive, National loyalty takes on a secondary role. You have a large chunk of the population who have seen their wages stagnate for the past 30 years, having to pay more and more out of their pockets to be able to have health insurance, and that's not even getting into the ever rising cost of living in general...trust me....it's not nearly the choice you are implying.

Do you seriously not see the irony in your post?
Holy cow. :(
Hey eggs for brain - how do you think they got to be in the place they are??
Because Americans started buying the cheapest option they could find and are so incredibly STUPID that they can't see they are stepping on their own toes with every purchase!!
How the f*ck do you think prices got to be so cheap?? Because all of the morons who did have jobs were too stupid to realize that the cheap shit they were buying by the cart loads on their credit cards all comes to a circle one day.
Then they come here and bitch about low paying jobs and rich people.
Man you people take the cake.

Bullshit. When people are struggling to survive, National loyalty takes on a secondary role.

Leftists have always been eager consumer of cheap slave-labor imports.

Major hypocrisy, dude.
Major hyperbole dude.

Not at all.

I can give you all the research you require, whiny bitch.

I love this particular little anecdotal which so perfectly illustrates how your hypocrisy plays out in the real world and with the destruction of hardworking American Union jobs:

Buy American Cars? Not in San Francisco

On April 29, the last domestic car dealership within city limits, San Francisco Ford Lincoln, closed its showroom doors and began winding down its repair and service operations,

Foreign automakers, including BMW, Honda, Scion and Smart, all continue to run what appear to be thriving dealerships in the area, as San Franciscans increasingly pledge their allegiance to import brands. Even the site of the last General Motors dealership to shut down in the city -- Ellis Brooks Chevrolet – is soon to be the home of a new mega-showroom for Nissan/Infiniti.

Buy American Cars? Not in San Francisco | Fox News

That is the REAL problem in America.
We always think it is the other guy...never us...we're not part of the problem...no way. :doubt:

What computer are you typing on? Dell, Acer, Compaq...etc. - You evil bastard...don't you know all of these computer makers use FoxConn?? You are supporting slave labor.
Where was your refridgerator manufactured? Stove, Dishwasher?? You don't even know do you? None of them better be a G.E. appliance or you are fully supporting a CEO who has laid off more Americans than anyother company in the world....who also happens to be an advisor to Obama.

Put your money where your big mouth is...choose what you buy. Or be like all of the other sheeple and go on the unemployment dole and food stamps that has increased by 45%.
No.. the real problem in America is that some people don't think that the workforce deserves to have a decent life. They can bust their assessed every damned day to make someone else vast amounts of money, but still struggle mightily to pay their bills and feed their families.....and those people that I mentioned in the first sentence won't give two shits about them and complain that the ones who are struggling are the problem.

No.. the real problem in America is that some people don't think that the workforce deserves to have a decent life.

Says the greedly little Leftist who decides who gets the jobs when he buys slave-labor imports and refuses to let the Republicans kick out the illegal aliens who keep wages suppressed.

Another problem, steelplate-in-the-head, is that ever since the industrial revolution, labor has become exponentially inferior to capital in the production of our goods and services.

Your sig line is sooo 19th century.

Leftists have always been eager consumer of cheap slave-labor imports.

Major hypocrisy, dude.
Major hyperbole dude.

Not at all.

I can give you all the research you require, whiny bitch.

I love this particular little anecdotal which so perfectly illustrates how your hypocrisy plays out in the real world and with the destruction of hardworking American Union jobs:

Buy American Cars? Not in San Francisco

On April 29, the last domestic car dealership within city limits, San Francisco Ford Lincoln, closed its showroom doors and began winding down its repair and service operations,

Foreign automakers, including BMW, Honda, Scion and Smart, all continue to run what appear to be thriving dealerships in the area, as San Franciscans increasingly pledge their allegiance to import brands. Even the site of the last General Motors dealership to shut down in the city -- Ellis Brooks Chevrolet – is soon to be the home of a new mega-showroom for Nissan/Infiniti.

Buy American Cars? Not in San Francisco | Fox News

Wow that's what you have for" proof"? One city? You should be happy....your side hares GM anyways.

Besides....we weren't talking about cars anyway. Cars are different because imports are no less expensive than domestics. Unless you're talking Suzuki's and Kia's here which I didn't see either in your post...It's not about saving money.

Forum List

Back