Indy 500 - Anyone Going to Watch?

Devin

Feel the breeze
Jun 17, 2009
Should be a good run this year. Big personality shakeups. Hot weather.

franchittix.jpg

Dario Franchitti puts his Chip Ganassi Racing entry through its paces during final practice for the Indianapolis 500.

INDIANAPOLIS — Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon had the final word in the final practice for Sunday's Indianapolis 500, as the Target Chip Ganassi Racing tandem each surpassed 225 mph to lead Friday's Carb Day session at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Franchitti, whose No. 10 Dallara/Honda will start on the outside of the front row in Sunday's 94th running, topped the one-hour session at 225.574 mph with Scott Dixon, who starts sixth, next at 225.159 mph. Pole-sitter and defending race winner Helio Castroneves was fifth-fastest (224.573), two spots below Team Penske teammate Will Power (224.993) but five higher than Ryan Briscoe (223.493).

Temperatures reached the 90s during the morning practice, with no incidents reported. With similar conditions are forecast for Sunday, drivers came away feeling good having a solid weather baseline for setting up the car.

Franchitti, Dixon top charts in Carb Day final practice at Indy - USATODAY.com

Last edited:
Is sitting on your ass on what is going to be a beautiful day watching cars drive in circles for hours your idea of fun?

It's a tradition, I watch off and on mostly the last half but to some, it's as big as the superbowl. I have friends who go every year.

I don't watch the stupor bowl either.

Skull Pilot, I'm willing to bet you live in a cold climate with only 60 days of summer - right?

Is sitting on your ass on what is going to be a beautiful day watching cars drive in circles for hours your idea of fun?

It's a tradition, I watch off and on mostly the last half but to some, it's as big as the superbowl. I have friends who go every year.

If you're having friends over, turn it on for them. I bet they'd watch some.

Of course it's Memorial Day and there are parades and respect for the military but the race is part of it. This area of the country is all about car racing. Nascar, Indy, MIS, etc..

Skull Pilot, I'm willing to bet you live in a cold climate with only 60 days of summer - right?

I live in New England.

And weather does not stop me from going outside.

I hike, backpack and camp all year round. In the winter I cross country ski and snowshoe.

In the summer I kayak, canoe and climb.

My wife and I will even hike into the nearby state forest and camp out for a night in the middle of the week and be back before work the next day.

I choose to do stuff rather than sit on my ass and watch other people do stuff on the boob tube.

I fact I'm on my way out the door in about an hour to do a 5 mile romp with the dogs.

I have been wearing a 40 pound pack on these hikes to get in shape for a 40 mile backpacking trip I have planned for the fall.

I live in New England.

And weather does not stop me from going outside.

I hike, backpack and camp all year round. In the winter I cross country ski and snowshoe.

In the summer I kayak, canoe and climb.

My wife and I will even hike into the nearby state forest and camp out for a night in the middle of the week and be back before work the next day.

I choose to do stuff rather than sit on my ass and watch other people do stuff on the boob tube.

I fact I'm on my way out the door in about an hour to do a 5 mile romp with the dogs.

I have been wearing a 40 pound pack on these hikes to get in shape for a 40 mile backpacking trip I have planned for the fall.

Thought so; very cool. I was an avid camper/hiker too back when my equipment was new. I still like to hike around outside when the weather's good. Can't do the cold anymore. Have fun.

Sarah, lots of people still watch or record the Indy. It's definitely a tradition with many people I know too. At least leave it on in the background or record it. Or watch the final several laps. GO FAST, TURN LEFT! :)

Indy 500 - Anyone Going to Watch?
I watch every year. I'm not a real big Indy Racing fan but the Indy 500 is sort of an American Institution isn't it?

I not interested in horse racing but I watch the Kentucky Derby every year as well.

I say give 'em a fifth of Jack before they are allowed to climb into the car.

Should make the race pretty damn interesting...

Was reading lots of ink on Dankia yesterday. Some say she's off her game because she's trying
to race NASCAR at the same time as INDY, which are two different cars, styles, methods, training -
everything. Others are calling sour grapes from the naysayers. Hope she does well later today anyway.

It used to be the big event over the Memorial Day weekend. Stars like AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Bobby and Al Unser.

Now, except for the Go Daddy Girl, nobody knows who is in it and nobody cares

My darkhorse pick, Tony Kanaan, has moved from starting #33 to the third spot. :)

Chez Boe is routing for Tony. Would be the first time ever for the 33 spot to win!

Forum List

Back