Indoor Cat Owners/Lovers

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Hey, a question for y'all.

If you have an indoor cat, where do you keep the litter box? If you have more than one cat, do you have a box for each one?

Anyone use cat doors? We installed one to the garage but can't get the cats to use it yet to go potty in their boxes, so we have them in the study for now.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

ahhhh the continued debate.....my cats are indoors and outdoors......they are just hard done by

001-7.jpg

i did have two litter boxes...with 3 cats...we lost roland over thanksgiving...so now we only have 2 cats...so i replaced the 2 boxes with one large box with a high back and sides.....you can put a whole box of kitty litter in it at once...easy to clean....i use the gel air fresheners and try to clean the kitty litter often....but i dream of genie...a cat genie

We have two indoor cats. We keep two litter boxes in a storage room accessible by a cat door from inside the house. You have to push the cats through the doors the first few times. Put their food and water in the room with the litter boxes at first and they'll get the idea.

If you have an indoor cat, where do you keep the litter box? If you have more than one cat, do you have a box for each one?

Anyone use cat doors? We installed one to the garage but can't get the cats to use it yet to go potty in their boxes, so we have them in the study for now.

Put their food in the garage they will figure the door out.
Right now it is a case of who is training who.
I have had indoor cats, never again, mine are outside cats.

I ve had cats for many years .
I have 2 indoor cats .the litter box is in the utility room and the door is open kept open with a door stop food is in the kitchen
i never put food anywhere near the little box **cats dont shit where they eat **

My outdoor cat was a stray who adopted me ! but as he was already acustomed to out door living and all the pleasures ? that go with it he is not allowed in the house, he sleeps on a bed in the garage food is provided . a heater is added in the winter months .

indoor cats usually live longer as they or not open to the dangers of outdoor living .

mites , fleas , abuse by kids .fighting , danger of being run over etc etc .

my indoor cats are nutered with i recommend unless you are a breeder .
ive worked with cats for years as a volunteer with the local animal shelter

Last edited:
o i keep the litter box in the bathroom....

I do the same thing. It's easier to keep them clean.
I have litter boxes for each cat. I had 3 cats, so I had 3 litter boxes. Now I have only one cat so I have just one litter box.
I don't have a door because too many things can get in that way. We have a lot of wildlife around here that could get in. Also burglars find it very convenient if the door is big enough and they are about medium size.

We keep Shadow's litter box in the unfinished part of the basement, back in the corner. Since we finished half the basement and there's a closed door between the finished and unfinished parts which needs to be kept shut to keep the dog out (the door was once left open and yeah, a dog will eat cat poop!), the hubs cut a hole in the drywall under the steps then framed it out. The cat's own personal doorway. This setup keeps the litter box and any scatterings from use in an easy to clean up place and no litter box odor anywhere near us. I did switch to the clumping litter a couple of years ago and give the box a thorough scooping twice a week or so.

Litter box is in the guest bedroom, when we have a guest we move the littler box to the study

Omg, that is just so wrong.

On my honeymoon, my husband and I stopped by in Boise to see a friend of his and his lovely wife. They put us in the guest room, which was very cozy and comfy for us.

My husband woke up with his eyes swollen shut and unable to breathe. Lol..it's the cat's room and he's got horrible allergies. They didn't even think of telling us....

If I ever have another indoor cat I am committed to training it to use the toilet.

I just no longer have any tolerance for cat shit in the house. Even temporarily. it's all I can do to keep the Health Dept. away just with humans (and Mylo, but I think she might be an asset...we have no old food laying around, even when we have dirty dishes!)

Use this litter, and it won't matter where the boxes are. I have 8 cats in the house, no odors whatsoever.

Swheat Scoop Natural Wheat Litter

Here's the cats:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=6E1ar1WLTUs]YouTube - Boston Legal Intro -- My Cats[/ame]

6 indoor cats. One litter box in the bathroom. I usualy stays in the bathroom but at times moves around.

The best way i have found to train a cat where the litter box is, is to lock them in that room for a few days. They know where it is and move on to explore the rest of the house... the letterbox being their base so to speak.

As to the cat door... i would just let them go through the open hole without the door for a month or so to get them used to the idea of going though the hole first...and then put a piece of plastic wrap to push through...and then put the door on.

Use this litter, and it won't matter where the boxes are. I have 8 cats in the house, no odors whatsoever.

Here's the cats:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=6E1ar1WLTUs]YouTube - Boston Legal Intro -- My Cats[/ame]

Cute Kitties :)

I have one kitty and I keep her litter box in the bedroom. (Not a problem with smell, I scoop and change it out all the time and keep her litter box clean) The bathroom is too small for the litter box, I don't think I'd want it in there anyhow.

The best way I've found is to "walk" the kitty to the place where the kitty litter box is, and put them in it.
Do it a couple times if you want to be sure. (Think it was mentioned above also) Yeah, you may have to "walk" them through the garage door, but generally cats are pretty clean and get embarrased if they make a mess. (Unless they are sick or something else going on). I wouldn't put the food out there though, ya want to train them as they need to be trained. Eat indoors, potty in the garage. And/or try a cat forum too and ask the question. I've used those before and so many great ideas from many experienced kitty owners. Hope it works out soon!

Here's the cats:

So is that stuff flush able? The normal clumping stuff is very bad for your pipes and you should not flush it at all.

Forum List

Back