Individualism

Right now there are 5 of us who disagree with the OP.
If this thread were to continue to progress, there would soon be 10 of us who oppose the OP.....

argumentum ad populum

Unkotare would become so frustrated that he would tell us we are all ignorant robots......

You are the one trying to call people robots, remember? There is no chance of a real discussion if you are going to be irrational.

A basic understanding of logic and a certain degree of mature reasoning ability are required to have a serious discussion about anything.
This truth applies in the societal context. A problem arises when we consider the nature and quality of most people's internal dialog.

I would defy anyone to spend a significant amount of time with these students - real human beings, not placeholders for simple stereotypes clung to by the weak-minded - and still repeat this asinine "robot" bullshit. That's how false impressions always seem to go.

I would defy anyone to spend a significant amount of time with these students - real human beings, not placeholders for simple stereotypes clung to by the weak-minded - and still repeat this asinine "robot" bullshit. That's how false impressions always seem to go.
Science proves that you post ignorant nonsense. Robots are part of the survival instinct in nature. Humans are not an exception.

You are the epitome of what is wrong with the internet, and in extension, American society. Even when you are presented with undeniable proof, you continue to insist the science is wrong and you are the only one who is not ignorant.

You are the one who ruined what could have been a great thread.

Science proves that you post ignorant nonsense. Robots are part of the survival instinct in nature. Humans are not an exception.

You are the epitome of what is wrong with the internet, and in extension, American society. Even when you are presented with undeniable proof, you continue to insist the science is wrong and you are the only one who is not ignorant.

You are the one who ruined what could have been a great thread.

This ^^^^^^ is irrational blather.

Human beings are not (can’t believe I have to say this) robots, and no “scientific evidence “ has been provided that proves such a ridiculous claim.

`
`

In news/political forums like this, throughout the US at least, it is inhabited by a majority of hyper-partisan zealots. They live in a complete dichotomy. Everything is either their way or it is viewed as automatically wrong.There is no gray area, as it's almost the case with most humans. If you don't believe in exactly what they do, you become the enemy. There is no individualism, just the mindless group-think. They are not here for dialogue or discussion. They are here for the sole purpose of arguing their point and/or belittling those who don't agree with them.
It is stupid for Americans to argue the point with Maggdy who claims to have went to school in China and made an excellent case for 96% of the students being myopic. i.e., lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.

Some wannabe philosopher calls it ignorant nonsense simply because he refuses to accept the fact that real life experience trumps opinion.

I won't say that the student's aren't myopic, but sometimes one needs to get very close to a thing to notice it's differences. What seems simple from far away maybe much more complex up close. The students may seem to us to be repetitive, but we don't do what they do. To them the nuance in their actions maybe as complex as all the variety in the U.S.A.'s current office attire (There's probably a better example).

`
`

In news/political forums like this, throughout the US at least, it is inhabited by a majority of hyper-partisan zealots. They live in a complete dichotomy. Everything is either their way or it is viewed as automatically wrong.There is no gray area, as it's almost the case with most humans. If you don't believe in exactly what they do, you become the enemy. There is no individualism, just the mindless group-think. They are not here for dialogue or discussion. They are here for the sole purpose of arguing their point and/or belittling those who don't agree with them.
It is stupid for Americans to argue the point with Maggdy who claims to have went to school in China and made an excellent case for 96% of the students being myopic. i.e., lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.

Some wannabe philosopher calls it ignorant nonsense simply because he refuses to accept the fact that real life experience trumps opinion.

I won't say that the student's aren't myopic, but sometimes one needs to get very close to a thing to notice it's differences. What seems simple from far away maybe much more complex up close. The students may seem to us to be repetitive, but we don't do what they do. To them the nuance in their actions maybe as complex as all the variety in the U.S.A.'s current office attire (There's probably a better example).
We all have our own idiosyncrasies but there are very few of us who would remain seated when the bell rang. We are outcasts for not being robots but we make great designers because we always think out of the box. I'm not constrained by man-made borders or walls. I live by my own set of rules. A subset of the counterculture.

I have noted with some exasperation that many here fall into easy cliches about 'the West' and 'the East' in regards to generalizations about things like "respect," "individuality," "filial piety," "independence," "community," and the like. Not long ago a poster - of the same ilk as those who dismiss other people as "robots" or fear high expectations for children - stated as if an indisputable truth that "certainly in ancient China there was no individualism" or something to that effect. Facile and simplistic declarations like that are the foundation of ignorance and misunderstanding of peoples.

Because the Chinese are all the same. Kids wear uniforms at school and do the same for their leisure time.

Dear Maggdy
If all Chinese were "the same" because they look the same on the outside,
why would there be crime. Wouldn't they all agree to share property because they all think the same?
They all just follow the rules like robots and everyone does what they are told? Really?

Either they'd be at perfect peace,
or they'd all kill each other fighting over greed
because they all think they have the right to ownership.
And if they all thought the same, they'd fight to the death.

They wouldn't be able to organize communities of that size population
unless they set up hierarchies of leaders and followers,
teachers and students.

No two individuals are the same.
You should know this by every day example.

Have you ever met any two people who were the same?
What difference does it make if two people LOOK the same?

Even identical twins whose DNA are the same,
are not the same and have different preferences and personalities,
perceptions and experiences.

I think the adult brain starts grouping people collectively
in order to ORGANIZE all that data memory in our minds.
If we don't know people personally, we just categorize and class
them in a folder with others we "associate" with them.
So maybe your brain sees all Chinese and Asian people
as one big data group, because you don't know any of them
individually enough to distinguish any from the others?

High context v. Low context cultures. It's not as if their behavior is innate...or is it? I wonder if their are studies showing the group behavioral patterns of twins separated at birth? One raised in the low context, individualistic west, the other in the high context group oriented east? That would be some pretty interesting stuff.
Another angle has to be IQ and the Asian understanding of efficiency, planning and execution. Maybe the Asians 'get it' that homogeneity, culturally is the key to both staying power and progress? Not that they have not had their hiccups...but all things considered.
This may also be tied to belief systems (Buddhism, Tao, Shinto, Confucius) and their effect on society.
East Asian cultures tend to be much more contiguously older than many parts of the world. Chinese culture for example has been dominated primarily by a single group (Han) for millennia...from Qin to Qing., dynastically.
Though the country is highly varied (ethnically), Chinese culture itself dates back >2K years. Despite the rise of Communism, Chinese culture and custom, at the core, remains intact.
Think of the cultural variation in Europe in 2K years? Let alone the Americas...Africa.
Asians are a very interesting bunch.

New Topics

Forum List

Back