Individualism

`
`

In news/political forums like this, throughout the US at least, it is inhabited by a majority of hyper-partisan zealots. They live in a complete dichotomy. Everything is either their way or it is viewed as automatically wrong.There is no gray area, as it's almost the case with most humans. If you don't believe in exactly what they do, you become the enemy. There is no individualism, just the mindless group-think. They are not here for dialogue or discussion. They are here for the sole purpose of arguing their point and/or belittling those who don't agree with them.
It is stupid for Americans to argue the point with Maggdy who claims to have went to school in China and made an excellent case for 96% of the students being myopic. i.e., lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.

That’s ignorant nonsense, and I know because of the many, many, many Chinese students I have worked with - there and here - over decades of experience who in no way match such stupid stereotypes.

`
`

In news/political forums like this, throughout the US at least, it is inhabited by a majority of hyper-partisan zealots. They live in a complete dichotomy. Everything is either their way or it is viewed as automatically wrong.There is no gray area, as it's almost the case with most humans. If you don't believe in exactly what they do, you become the enemy. There is no individualism, just the mindless group-think. They are not here for dialogue or discussion. They are here for the sole purpose of arguing their point and/or belittling those who don't agree with them.
It is stupid for Americans to argue the point with Maggdy who claims to have went to school in China and made an excellent case for 96% of the students being myopic. i.e., lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.

That’s ignorant nonsense, and I know because of the many, many, many Chinese students I have worked with - there and here - over decades of experience who in no way match such stupid stereotypes.
The majority of Americans are robots too. We may not have as high percentage of myopics as Maggdy states that China has but our mainstream has been socially engineered to know the consequences of making waves. The majority of our business owners surround themselves with YES people. They may not lack imagination and foresight but they know they will get voted off the island if they show it.

They know the consequences for making groupthink feel or look bad. The message boards prove that to be true.

This is a great topic, so we can throw ad homs at each other all day or we can debate your philosophy.

Americans are not “robots” any more than Chinese students are.

So far Sunni Man, AVISSSER, Maggdy, Windparadox, and me all disagree with you and end up being told by you that our post is Ignorant nonsense. You will have to do better than that to convince me that Americans are not robots.

So far Sunni Man, AVISSSER, Maggdy, Windparadox, and me all disagree with you and end up being told by you that our post is Ignorant nonsense. You will have to do better than that to convince me that Americans are not robots.

Appeal to popularity? Really? Prove a negative? Really? Any other logical fallacies you’d like to try out?

I have noted with some exasperation that many here fall into easy cliches about 'the West' and 'the East' in regards to generalizations about things like "respect," "individuality," "filial piety," "independence," "community," and the like. Not long ago a poster - of the same ilk as those who dismiss other people as "robots" or fear high expectations for children - stated as if an indisputable truth that "certainly in ancient China there was no individualism" or something to that effect. Facile and simplistic declarations like that are the foundation of ignorance and misunderstanding of peoples.

Because the Chinese are all the same. Kids wear uniforms at school and do the same for their leisure time.

so you have never seen a private or public school where the kids all have to wear a uniform?

`
`

Appeal to popularity? Really? Prove a negative? Really? Any other logical fallacies you’d like to try out?
According to you, you are the only one here who is not ignorant. May as well debate yourself.

I have noted with some exasperation that many here fall into easy cliches about 'the West' and 'the East' in regards to generalizations about things like "respect," "individuality," "filial piety," "independence," "community," and the like. Not long ago a poster - of the same ilk as those who dismiss other people as "robots" or fear high expectations for children - stated as if an indisputable truth that "certainly in ancient China there was no individualism" or something to that effect. Facile and simplistic declarations like that are the foundation of ignorance and misunderstanding of peoples.

Because the Chinese are all the same. Kids wear uniforms at school and do the same for their leisure time.

so you have never seen a private or public school where the kids all have to wear a uniform?

I've seen it, moreover, I was in it when I was the kid.

Hungary was behind the iron curtain in isolation from the free world.

iron curtain.png

However, this was not a free choice. Hungary came into the hands of Communist in violent ways.

Original version

Freedom: The flag with the Famous Hole.
The Flag-with-the-Hole become one of the most indelible images of the 1956 Revolution and today stands as a powerful symbol for freedom.

At some time during the demonstration, someone cut the Soviet-imposed emblem out of the Hungarian flag.

hu flag 56.jpeg
Freedom: The Flag with the Famous Hole | An American in Budapest

Last edited:

According to you, you are the only one here who is not ignorant. May as well debate yourself.

Straw man, another logical fallacy.

BIG difference in the US a private school is not the norm and every private school is not the same nor are public schools varying from State to State. In China education is completely controlled BY and FOR the Government with conformity a necessity in ALL schools and for ALL Students.

I've seen it, moreover, I was in it when I was the kid.

Hungary was behind the iron curtain in isolation from the free world.

View attachment 169452

However, this was not a free choice. Hungary came into the hands of Communist in violent ways.

Original version

Freedom: The flag with the Famous Hole.
The Flag-with-the-Hole become one of the most indelible images of the 1956 Revolution and today stands as a powerful symbol for freedom.

At some time during the demonstration, someone cut the Soviet-imposed emblem out of the Hungarian flag.

View attachment 169457 Freedom: The Flag with the Famous Hole | An American in Budapest

so you know uniforms have nothing to do with a lack of individualism.

communism clearly does want you to conform, and it clearly fails when it isn't violent.

Sorry you grew up in Hungry, glad you mad it out.

BIG difference in the US a private school is not the norm and every private school is not the same nor are public schools varying from State to State. In China education is completely controlled BY and FOR the Government with conformity a necessity in ALL schools and for ALL Students.

that doesn't mean they lost their individualism, as clearly they haven't

The majority of our business owners surround themselves with YES people. They may not lack imagination and foresight but they know they will get voted off the island if they show it.
Is there any doubt that Americans are afraid to go against groupthink at the workplace? Anyone who is not a YES person quickly finds themselves looking for another job. American robots are a little more subtle than their Chinese counterparts but the fear of making waves is still prevalent.

The majority of our business owners surround themselves with YES people. They may not lack imagination and foresight but they know they will get voted off the island if they show it.
Is there any doubt that Americans are afraid to go against groupthink at the workplace? .....

Yes, there is. Not telling your boss to f-off everyday is not "group think." Reasonable people cooperate and work together, and it is not a sign of robotics.

Is there any doubt that Americans are afraid to go against groupthink at the workplace? .....

Yes, there is. Not telling your boss to f-off everyday is not "group think." Reasonable people cooperate and work together, and it is not a sign of robotics.
That's total bullshit. To move up the latter you have to play the political game of kissing ass by saying that sounds great boss. All the robots do is learn how to survive. There is no imagination or intellectual insight to that.

A company with 100 employees may have 5 or 10 that keep the company running. Those are the employees who find a way to break the rules without getting caught. So again, at least 90% of American workers are robots collecting a paycheck.

Life is all about taking risks that makes your adrenaline flow.

That's total bullshit. To move up the latter you have to play the political game of kissing ass by saying that sounds great boss. ....

It is illogical to impose your subjective views, and likely personal experiences, on countless individuals and circumstances about which you cannot know.

That's total bullshit. To move up the latter you have to play the political game of kissing ass by saying that sounds great boss. ....

It is illogical to impose your subjective views, and likely personal experiences, on countless individuals and circumstances about which you cannot know.
I'll make it simple for you. There are 100 senators, how many of them are doing the work of the people?

I'll make it simple for you. There are 100 senators, how many of them are doing the work of the people?

All of them.

All of them.
So spending $13 trillion to bailout Wall Street and another $2 trillion a year for the war machine, while 30% of our housing has been hit with a foreclosure is doing the work of the people?

That makes 99% of Americans robots.

Forum List

Back