individual stocks

J caps

Rookie
May 21, 2017
Hi. I am interested to discuss long term individual stock investing. Currently I'm looking to buy or sell a few stocks, and would like to share opinions about them. If anyone's interested let me know.

I'm using ETFs but don't like the fees. In particular I'm considering CTB (sold it at the high a month ago), FL and several others.

I have a couple index funds with Fidelity, IJR and FUTY, and have no interest in Vanguard ~ see topic.

Wtw, I've seen a few of your posts. I'm a little over 50 percent invested in about 25 stocks including 2 index funds, the rest in cash, looking to invest more when opportunities arise. What do you think about CTB for this upcoming year?

Wtw, I've seen a few of your posts. I'm a little over 50 percent invested in about 25 stocks including 2 index funds, the rest in cash, looking to invest more when opportunities arise. What do you think about CTB for this upcoming year?
I don't own it, don't even know for sure what it is. I stick with the three S&P stock indices and outside of that universe I rarely have an opinion worth listening to. Assuming that CTB refers to the Bloomberg Commodity index if I ventured into that area of the market I would apply the "Beating the Dow" by O'Higgins and Downes technique. If you are not acquainted with that work get it and use it as waterwings until you can swim with the sharks.

Use the many analysts buy sell hold recommendations, use the RSI chart to know when it's about time to buy or sell.
Below 20 time to buy close to 10.
Above 80 time to sell close to 90.
IS the PE gonna be to high (sell) or to low(buy) for expected next quarter earnings?

Another indicator is looking at where the higher numbers of puts and options are being placed at. OR spotting the market makers orders in level 2, where is the large shares sitting to shore up the stock and where the large sell order sits, sometimes gives the range away especially for the day, sometimes small cap stocks it gives away the range for the longer picture.

ETF's get rocked when fixed income liquidity becomes an issue or forced fund sell offs, in which case you buy in during accidental beatings and sell it's peaks.
Good non index ETF's have stable easy to read ranges, many ETFs are bad and never track the index or style they are to perform under.
When preferreds get rocked by fixed income liquidity crashes or bond routs the preferred etfs get way over sold and undervalued and are steals as preferreds always bounce back and etfs following them are very stable otherwise. You can make an extra 10-30% over the 6-8% dividend if you trade the etf ranges, are patient and pounce during the routs of fixed incomes. Sometimes on a single year the volatile range allows you to buy and sell 2-3 times for 50%+ income.
You'll learn by watching the 52 week range which ones range steady and just how far they can drop to scoop at the bottom wnd where there usual sell points reach at.

Last edited:
25 stocks is way too many

Forum List

Back