Individual mandate in trouble?

I hope you're right. They need to shoot this down and go back to the drawing board. I know of no one who is against helping the truly needy in our country and we helped with their healthcare through Medicaid and many states have additional programs.

It feels completely wrong having the government tell you that you have to buy something, at a higher price than you are now, or you will face fines and maybe jail. Obama kept going back and forth on the mandate, saying it's a tax, it's not a tax........ He knows it's unconstitutional and he couldn't spin it to make it look otherwise.

If those liberal judges opt to set a precedent by effectively altering our constitution, kiss the country goodbye. Once they hand power to government to make these kinds of changes in our foundation, it's all down hill.

Since when does anyone trust the analysis of conservatives further than they can throw them?

You CONZ are just whistling past the graveyard on this one.

Tell me...what will you do if the court finds this constitutional?

Bitch about the LIBERAL BIAS on the Supreme Court?

Since when does anyone trust the analysis of conservatives further than they can throw them?

Tell me...what will you do if the court finds this unconstitutional?

Yes. But you would do the same thing if it is found unconstitutional so who really cares right?

Probably celebrate a little. That would hasten the march toward single payer.

Republicans and the insurance lobby will have the most difficulty if the mandate is declared unconstitutional.

BTW.........the court is not acting within the limits placed on it by the USC if the rule on it either way. That ought to bother you nutters but it doesn't. Wonder why?

Republicans and the insurance lobby will have the most difficulty if the mandate is declared unconstitutional.

BTW.........the court is not acting within the limits placed on it by the USC if the rule on it either way. That ought to bother you nutters but it doesn't. Wonder why?

Yea right. This health care bill is supposed to get us to single payor by killing employer based health care.

Try to figure out a way to move to a free country like Canada.

The man that runs scotusblog is a liberal and a well regarded lawyer

I hope you're right. They need to shoot this down and go back to the drawing board. I know of no one who is against helping the truly needy in our country and we helped with their healthcare through Medicaid and many states have additional programs.

It feels completely wrong having the government tell you that you have to buy something, at a higher price than you are now, or you will face fines and maybe jail. Obama kept going back and forth on the mandate, saying it's a tax, it's not a tax........ He knows it's unconstitutional and he couldn't spin it to make it look otherwise.

If those liberal judges opt to set a precedent by effectively altering our constitution, kiss the country goodbye. Once they hand power to government to make these kinds of changes in our foundation, it's all down hill.

You are right, the Supremes need to shoot Obamacare and it's mandates down and go back to the drawing board.

Single Payer anyone?

Why? "The annual Milliman Medical Index (MMI) measures the total cost of healthcare for a typical family of four covered by a preferred provider plan (PPO). The 2011 MMI cost is $19,393, an increase of $1,319, or 7.3% over 2010. Even though the rate of increase is slowing from prior years, it has taken fewer than nine years for such costs to more than double. In 2002, the cost of healthcare for the typical family of four was $9,235."
2011 Milliman Medical Index - Milliman Insight

"A typical U.S. family got poorer during the past 10 years in the first decade-long income decline in at least a half-century, new federal data show.
Median household income fell 2.3% to $49,445 last year and has dropped 7% since 2000 after adjusting for inflation, the Census Bureau said Tuesday. Income was the lowest since 1996."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-13/census-household-income/50383882/1

This trend can't continue where healthcare costs are running wild, while household income for the average family remains stagnant.

Did you just say that if the SCOTUS rules for, or against Obamacare, they are acting outside their Constitutional authority?

Did you just say that if the SCOTUS rules for, or against Obamacare, they are acting outside their Constitutional authority?

He's referencing the Anti-Injunction Act, but it really doesn't apply here, particularly since the Obama Administration can't make up their mind as to whether the individual mandate is a tax or a penalty.

Justice Kennedy has harsh questions for the govts lawyer.

Check out scotusblog

Not looking good for uncle Sam.

I hate to quibble on points, but I think it looks excellent for Uncle Sam. Our nation wont be strapped with this Administrations unconstitutional laws.

At least, assuming these questions mean that they will throw out the mandate. Which isn't necessarily true.

Personally, I dont know how you can use the government to compel someone into a contract. One of the first things you learn in law school about contracts is that coercion is a ground for invalidating any contract. If the law stands, I would argue that we have a significant flaw in our current legal system that can completely undermine the laws by which our economy is governed.

The early rumblings from the liberals quoted over at HuffPo are heartening.

"Justices Displayed 'Deep Skepticism'"
"I Wasn't Worried Yesterday. I Am Today"
"Train Wreck For Obama"
"IT WILL BE CLOSE. VERY CLOSE"

I hate to get my hopes too high, but I'm allowing myself a smile. ( :

I hate to break this to you, but there are millions of people who trust the analysis of conservatives everyday. Most people don't make determinations on what they believe based solely on the political philosophy of who made it, but rather on whether it makes sense to their world view.

If the court finds this Constitutional, we will just continue to fight to have it repealed through the legsilative process or through by having this decision overturned in future court decisions. After all, the Supreme Court has made bad decisions before, e.g., Dread Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson, Lochner, Griswold. All bad decisions, some of which have been overturned.

You think this is going to stop the fight? Nope. Fights just getting started if the Court declares it Constitutional. I know you don't like that we wont just give up, but sorry, our liberties are at stake.

People who think that ACA is BAD for freedom, or that single payer will pass are sorely misled.

60% are against ACA, 30% want single payer.

Obama didn't want a mandate, figures people will just WANT affordable, guaranteed care.

Americans are 60% stupid, and FLASH, the rest of the world doesn't accept refugees without millions...

Dumbazz dupes.

Yes. Do you think you have trapped me or something? The law was passed by duly elected representatives of the people and signed by the duly elected President of the United States. They shouldn't even be hearing the case.

Yes. Do you think you have trapped me or something? The law was passed by duly elected representatives of the people and signed by the duly elected President of the United States. They shouldn't even be hearing the case.

All pointless points. The court took it and will likely kill it.

It's not a matter of trapping you. Don't be so sensitive. I was asking so I understood what you were saying, and so you would not whine if I misinterpreted your comments.

Forum List

Back