India's new "Hitler" restaurant shocks Jews!!

I practice in the Vajrayana. We talk about three kinds of lineage in the Vajrayana. Oral, symbolic and mind to mind.

I can assure you all three of these lineages are alive in the present.

Does Theravadin Buddhism teach that all other forms of Buddhist practice are invalid?
And again, they were assigned long after the meaning of the star in the Indic religions was lost.

I understand that you hold current meaning in the symbol, but that doesn't change the accuracy of my statement. Using symbols to teach esoteric items isn't less meaningful because the origin of the symbolism may not be understood. And no, Theravada Buddhism does not "teach" that any religion is invalid.

Last edited:
You did not answer my question. Are you being taught in Theravadin Buddhism that other schools of Buddhist practice are invalid?

Are you a sectarian?

Tibetan Buddhism is rich with symbolism. The lineages are intact and the symbolism has been preserved and is interpreted by qualified masters of awareness.

Last edited by a moderator:
You did not answer my question. Are you being taught in Theravadin Buddhism that other schools of Buddhist practice are invalid?

Are you a sectarian?
I did answer your question, however I did edit it in.

No, Theravada Buddhism doesn't "teach" that any religion is invalid. It is silly to suggest such. However does your religion teach that symbolism IS your religion?

No. We teach that there are three ways that our lineage of realization is transmitted, mind to mind, symbolic and oral.

The vajrayana includes skillful means and symbolism is a way to recollect qualities and to enter into meditation.

Why not take my word for it? The vajrayana uses rich symbolism as a method to awaken.

No. We teach that there are three ways that our lineage of realization is transmitted, mind to mind, symbolic and oral.

The vajrayana includes skillful means and symbolism is a way to recollect qualities and to enter into meditation.

Why not take my word for it? The vajrayana uses rich symbolism as a method to awaken.
As I said, esoteric meaning is not meaningless simply because the origin of usage in Indic religions is lost. What it means to you today is not less valid because the usage predates Buddhism and the origin was lost.

Using symbolism as a means to transfer knowledge is a practice used in many religions, in schools as a mnemonic device, and even in such things as Freemasonry.

Saying that the origin of the usage was lost doesn't take anything from any current meaning you may assign to the symbol.

Your statement is that the origin of the use of the symbol has been lost. That is a false statement from my point of view.

The origin of the meaning of the six pointed star in Buddhism has not been lost. It is still taught and passed on to students. It is rich with meaning. It is a subtle topic. Symbols are useful when teaching about topics with subtle meanings.

Of course, we are talking about ordinary mind and conventional meanings of words and objects and awareness mind or consciousness which does not hold to conventional meaning--but transcends time and space.

It's all about what helps one to enter into a state of presence. To that regard, symbols are a method or a skillful means, which are ultimately dropped in awareness itself.

Your statement is that the origin of the use of the symbol has been lost. That is a false statement from my point of view.

The origin of the meaning of the six pointed star in Buddhism has not been lost. It is still taught and passed on to students. It is rich with meaning. It is a subtle topic. Symbols are useful when teaching about topics with subtle meanings.

Of course, we are talking about ordinary mind and conventional meanings of words and objects and awareness mind or consciousness which does not hold to conventional meaning--but transcends time and space.

It's all about what helps one to enter into a state of presence. To that regard, symbols are a method or a skillful means, which are ultimately dropped in awareness itself.
The conversation becomes meaningless when one insists that because he is taught a current meaning, it means that it is the only and the original meaning.

It seems important to you. So be it. But the reality is, it was used in all religions of Indic origin and predates Buddhism, the origin of the usage and the meaning behind it was lost long before your sect of Buddhism assigned their original meaning to it. While I believe it has been passed correctly since through many generations, it doesn't change that the usage of the star in Indic religions was lost, nor does that take away from any meaning you may assign to it today.

Sometimes symbols are just pretty and have no meaning. I use both the six and eight pointed stars and swastikas, (reversed and slightly altered so as not to offend) in my decorative art.

Meanings are eventually forgotten, even our contemporary ones will be.

Sometimes symbols are just pretty designs and serve no other function than to ornament.

Other times, symbols are rich with meaning, and although adopted in antiquity still retain their relevance today.

Buddhist Symbols

Swastika has changed in meaning, there are two distinctions though, on a point it represents Nazi, flat it's something else entirely. Sam thing happened to the pentacle.

Mumbai: A new restaurant in Mumbai, named after Adolf Hitler and promoted with posters showing the German leader and Nazi swastikas, has infuriated India’s small Jewish community.

'Hitler's Cross', which opened last week, serves up a wide range of continental fare and a big helping of controversy, thanks to a name the owners say they chose to stand out among hundreds of Mumbai eateries.

"We wanted to be different. This is one name that will stay in people's minds," owner Punit Shablok said.

"We are not promoting Hitler. But we want to tell people we are different in the way he was different."

But India's remaining Jews -- most migrated to Israel and the West over the years -- say they are outraged by the gimmick.

"This signifies a severe lack of awareness of the agony of millions of Jews caused by one man," said Jonathan Solomon, chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, the community's umbrella organisation.

"We are going to stop this deification of Hitler," he said without elaborating. The small restaurant, its interior done out in the Nazi colours of red, white and black, also has a lounge for smoking the exotic "hookah".

Posters line the road leading up to it, featuring a red swastika carved in the name of the eatery.

One slogan reads: "From Small Bites to Mega Joys". A huge portrait of a stern-looking Fuehrer greets visitors at the door.

The cross in the restaurant's name refers to the swastika that symbolised the Nazi regime.

"This place is not about wars or crimes, but where people come to relax and enjoy a meal," said restaurant manager Fatima Kabani, adding that they were planning to turn the eatery's name into a brand with more branches in Mumbai.

The swastika has its roots in ancient Hindu tradition and remains a sacred symbol.

Nazi theorists appropriated it to bolster their central hypothesis of the Aryan origins of the German people.

www.ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbais-hitler-restaurant-shocks-jews/19220-3.html

While this is truly vile, it's not surprising.

Sunni Man and his friends are like juveniles who get a thrill out of shouting out swear words.

Forum List

Back