Indiana Senate Seat Could Go Red !!!!

Sun Devil 92

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2015
Indiana Senate Race: Republican Mike Braun Could Unseat Democratic Senator Joe Donnelly | National Review

That is looking like 55 to 45 !!!!! :eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Wooooo Freaking Hoooooooooooo

Republican Mike Braun has captured the attention of the red state’s Trump voters — and his lack of political experience might give him an edge.
Jasper, Ind. — It’s not easy to get out to Jasper. The closest airport, Louisville International, is in another state, and it’ll take an hour or two on a series of winding two-lane highways before you find yourself crossing the railroad tracks in the 15,000-person Indiana town.

But that’s how Mike Braun likes it. He was born and raised in Jasper, he’s still here, and if he leaves his hometown it’ll only be because he’s off to represent Indiana in the U.S. Senate. With Election Day approaching, less than three weeks away now, that outcome is looking more and more likely.

Donald Trump in 2016, so Democrats may be in for a tough night on November 6.

It’s a stroke of luck for Braun, a long-time small-business man, that he’s running against Democratic senator Joe Donnelly, who’s spent most of the campaign trying to induce voters to forget about the “D” next to his name. Indiana is a red state and a Trump state, and in his single term in the Senate, Donnelly hasn’t done much to convince his constituents that he fits the mold. Meanwhile, in many ways, Braun is more Trump than Trump himself — and he’s got the pulse of the voters in his state, he says, because as an entrepreneur and small-business owner he thinks just like them.

office at Meyer Distributing, the company he founded more than three decades ago. “I’d be hunkered down in southern Indiana, trying to survive over the next two years.”

'Trump’s Midterm Pitch'

WATCH: 0:34
Trump’s Midterm Pitch
It’s a sentiment he assures me Hoosiers share, and he knows his chance to steal the Senate seat out from under Donnelly is vastly improved by the fact that there’s a Republican in the White House, a man who talks with more passion about farming and manufacturing than he does about most things, and who captured the state by nearly 20 percentage points in 2016.

home to his customers. When asked about the Affordable Care Act, another big issue for Indiana voters, he says he pioneered a health-care plan for his employees that kept premiums stable and affordable — despite fluctuations in the market and the negative ramifications of Obamacare.

kids and your grandkids? Not much of a message,” Braun says. It’s when he talks like this that he’s at his best.

On trade, Braun’s no-nonsense style makes him inclined to face the facts: The president’s policies have yet to bear fruit for Hoosiers, the state’s farmers especially. But the businessman has an excellent grasp of the issue — a much better grasp than Trump does, in fact — and he intends to put it to good use.

“I’m a guy that believes in free trade and unfettered competition,” he says, before going on to explain that tariffs can be useful as a tool to incentivize other economies to cooperate, and he thinks it’s fair to say Trump has had some success on this front. “But there’s collateral damage that comes along with it, farmers particularly here in Indiana,” he admits. “The Chinese are smart. They knew right where to aim the tariffs: at Trump’s most loyal support bloc. If tariffs don’t work against the Chinese — and my prediction is they won’t — you’ve got to pull them back.”

Braun says if he makes it to Washington, trade is one of the top issues he hopes to address. “The first opportunity I have to chat with the president would be to say, ‘Let’s find some other approaches, because the Chinese are not going to fix the issues.’” In other words: Tariffs started the conversation, now let’s finish it in a way that stops hurting people in my state. It’s a way of acknowledging that the president’s “America First” instinct on trade is popular with Indiana voters while still insisting that trade policy must actually help them long-term. If he’s been able to effectively convey that message on the road, Braun will be hard to beat.

There’s been little polling of the Senate race in Indiana — in large part because of state legislation forbidding pollsters from robo-calling or even auto-dialing voters — but the few surveys that have been done give the advantage to the incumbent. That’s to be expected. But it’s not nearly enough of a reason to write off Braun. Just the “R” next to his name will likely be enough for many voters, even if they haven’t heard of him before they enter the voting booth.

And dissatisfaction with Donnelly will only make matters worse. Even though he voted to confirm Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court last year, Donnelly ended up voting against Brett Kavanaugh earlier this month, after much equivocation. As one close observer of the race told National Review, the senator has yet to give a compelling explanation for why he voted the way he did, something that will matter among voters who believed there wasn’t proof of the allegations against Kavanaugh.

COMMENTS
Democrats across the country don’t seem to be too concerned about this race. In fact, they don’t talk about it much at all. But they ought to be worried. The Democratic senator has managed to avoid outraging his conservative constituents — but that’s mostly because he hasn’t done much at all. A study last fall rated him the least effective Democrat in the Senate. When you’re running in a red state on borrowed GOP talking points, and facing an opponent with a knack for channeling the rhetoric that allowed President Trump to capture Indiana’s rural and Republican voters, having done little to rock the boat for six years isn’t a promising platform.

Braun himself has little political record to speak of. But in Indiana, being an outsider aligned with President Trump gives the businessman from Jasper an edge.

Braun's commercials are brutal against Donelley. The NRA has jumped on-board for Braun and is spending big too

A new poll shows Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly has a slim lead over Republican challenger Mike Braun in his bid to keep his U.S. Senate seat, but the lead is within the poll's margin of error, meaning the two remain in essentially a dead heat.

Roughly 44 percent of likely voters support Donnelly, according to a Gravis Marketing poll, The Hill reported Wednesday. 40 percent of likely voters support Braun, the poll found. And about 7 percent of likely voters say they would vote for Libertarian candidate Lucy Brenton, according to the poll.

New poll shows Senate race remains tight between Donnelly, Braun

Indiana Senate Race: Republican Mike Braun Could Unseat Democratic Senator Joe Donnelly | National Review

That is looking like 55 to 45 !!!!! :eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Wooooo Freaking Hoooooooooooo

Republican Mike Braun has captured the attention of the red state’s Trump voters — and his lack of political experience might give him an edge.
Jasper, Ind. — It’s not easy to get out to Jasper. The closest airport, Louisville International, is in another state, and it’ll take an hour or two on a series of winding two-lane highways before you find yourself crossing the railroad tracks in the 15,000-person Indiana town.

But that’s how Mike Braun likes it. He was born and raised in Jasper, he’s still here, and if he leaves his hometown it’ll only be because he’s off to represent Indiana in the U.S. Senate. With Election Day approaching, less than three weeks away now, that outcome is looking more and more likely.

Donald Trump in 2016, so Democrats may be in for a tough night on November 6.

It’s a stroke of luck for Braun, a long-time small-business man, that he’s running against Democratic senator Joe Donnelly, who’s spent most of the campaign trying to induce voters to forget about the “D” next to his name. Indiana is a red state and a Trump state, and in his single term in the Senate, Donnelly hasn’t done much to convince his constituents that he fits the mold. Meanwhile, in many ways, Braun is more Trump than Trump himself — and he’s got the pulse of the voters in his state, he says, because as an entrepreneur and small-business owner he thinks just like them.

office at Meyer Distributing, the company he founded more than three decades ago. “I’d be hunkered down in southern Indiana, trying to survive over the next two years.”

'Trump’s Midterm Pitch'

WATCH: 0:34
Trump’s Midterm Pitch
It’s a sentiment he assures me Hoosiers share, and he knows his chance to steal the Senate seat out from under Donnelly is vastly improved by the fact that there’s a Republican in the White House, a man who talks with more passion about farming and manufacturing than he does about most things, and who captured the state by nearly 20 percentage points in 2016.

home to his customers. When asked about the Affordable Care Act, another big issue for Indiana voters, he says he pioneered a health-care plan for his employees that kept premiums stable and affordable — despite fluctuations in the market and the negative ramifications of Obamacare.

kids and your grandkids? Not much of a message,” Braun says. It’s when he talks like this that he’s at his best.

On trade, Braun’s no-nonsense style makes him inclined to face the facts: The president’s policies have yet to bear fruit for Hoosiers, the state’s farmers especially. But the businessman has an excellent grasp of the issue — a much better grasp than Trump does, in fact — and he intends to put it to good use.

“I’m a guy that believes in free trade and unfettered competition,” he says, before going on to explain that tariffs can be useful as a tool to incentivize other economies to cooperate, and he thinks it’s fair to say Trump has had some success on this front. “But there’s collateral damage that comes along with it, farmers particularly here in Indiana,” he admits. “The Chinese are smart. They knew right where to aim the tariffs: at Trump’s most loyal support bloc. If tariffs don’t work against the Chinese — and my prediction is they won’t — you’ve got to pull them back.”

Braun says if he makes it to Washington, trade is one of the top issues he hopes to address. “The first opportunity I have to chat with the president would be to say, ‘Let’s find some other approaches, because the Chinese are not going to fix the issues.’” In other words: Tariffs started the conversation, now let’s finish it in a way that stops hurting people in my state. It’s a way of acknowledging that the president’s “America First” instinct on trade is popular with Indiana voters while still insisting that trade policy must actually help them long-term. If he’s been able to effectively convey that message on the road, Braun will be hard to beat.

There’s been little polling of the Senate race in Indiana — in large part because of state legislation forbidding pollsters from robo-calling or even auto-dialing voters — but the few surveys that have been done give the advantage to the incumbent. That’s to be expected. But it’s not nearly enough of a reason to write off Braun. Just the “R” next to his name will likely be enough for many voters, even if they haven’t heard of him before they enter the voting booth.

And dissatisfaction with Donnelly will only make matters worse. Even though he voted to confirm Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court last year, Donnelly ended up voting against Brett Kavanaugh earlier this month, after much equivocation. As one close observer of the race told National Review, the senator has yet to give a compelling explanation for why he voted the way he did, something that will matter among voters who believed there wasn’t proof of the allegations against Kavanaugh.

COMMENTS
Democrats across the country don’t seem to be too concerned about this race. In fact, they don’t talk about it much at all. But they ought to be worried. The Democratic senator has managed to avoid outraging his conservative constituents — but that’s mostly because he hasn’t done much at all. A study last fall rated him the least effective Democrat in the Senate. When you’re running in a red state on borrowed GOP talking points, and facing an opponent with a knack for channeling the rhetoric that allowed President Trump to capture Indiana’s rural and Republican voters, having done little to rock the boat for six years isn’t a promising platform.

Braun himself has little political record to speak of. But in Indiana, being an outsider aligned with President Trump gives the businessman from Jasper an edge.
Thanks for the link, Sun Devil. Hope Indiana returns to her conservative roots. It looks like they didn't like the negative vibes coming out of the guy who said he was a moderate Democrat but voted left as Chuckie, Bernie, and Nancy, Most of America were pretty ticked off when the truth came out about Dr. Ford's propensity to practice her teachings of fooling lie detectors to perpetrate lies about an innocent man who is now Justice Kavanaugh of the SCOTUS.

This is a 3-way race....Unless Brenton dropped out, that 55-45 number is fake.

55-45 is accurate but it's Donnelly that has the 55. Oopsie.

I like this site for watching this shit. Comprehensive and continually updated.
Any poll that doesn't include Brenton is unreliable.....Especially ones that add up to 100% between the two other candidates.

Any poll that doesn't include Brenton is unreliable.....Especially ones that add up to 100% between the two other candidates.

That's because they don't put her name in the poll, they just give the choice of two.

>> When the poll includes Libertarian candidate Lucy Brenton, 44 percent of likely voters said they plan to vote for Donnelly, 41 percent say they plan to vote for Braun and 8 percent say they plan to vote for Brenton. << --- Indy Star

That's because they don't put her name in the poll, they just give the choice of two.

>> When the poll includes Libertarian candidate Lucy Brenton, 44 percent of likely voters said they plan to vote for Donnelly, 41 percent say they plan to vote for Braun and 8 percent say they plan to vote for Brenton. << --- Indy Star
Which brings the two primary characters within the margin of error.....Not that I have any dog in the hunt here, just sayin'.

Which brings the two primary characters within the margin of error.....Not that I have any dog in the hunt here, just sayin'.

Nor do I, neither of us live in Indiana so who cares. The point is that the OP got an accurate number but reversed the names on them.

Guess that leaves it up to the people in the State of Indiana to determine who they're going to elect.

I did find one poll that favored Braun Here: Polls: Republicans lead in three key Senate races, Democrats in two

Indiana

Republican Mike Braun held a slim lead over Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly, 45 percent to 43 percent, with 8 percent undecided and 3 percent backing a libertarian candidate.

Both candidates' favorability was above water: 52 percent viewed Donnelly favorably compared to 39 percent unfavorably, while 47 percent viewed Braun favorably compared to 38 percent who viewed him unfavorably.

Trump remains popular in the state: 54 percent of likely voters approve of the job he's doing, compared to 44 percent who disapprove.
Again, it's up to the people in the state to decide, and there's a 5% margin when you take 3% from the 8% who are undecided right now.

Guess that leaves it up to the people in the State of Indiana to determine who they're going to elect.

I did find one poll that favored Braun Here: Polls: Republicans lead in three key Senate races, Democrats in two

Indiana

Republican Mike Braun held a slim lead over Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly, 45 percent to 43 percent, with 8 percent undecided and 3 percent backing a libertarian candidate.

Both candidates' favorability was above water: 52 percent viewed Donnelly favorably compared to 39 percent unfavorably, while 47 percent viewed Braun favorably compared to 38 percent who viewed him unfavorably.

Trump remains popular in the state: 54 percent of likely voters approve of the job he's doing, compared to 44 percent who disapprove.
Again, it's up to the people in the state to decide, and there's a 5% margin when you take 3% from the 8% who are undecided right now.

Thank you beauteous one, that's what I keep telling the wags here who want to throw out this or that Senator from Maine or Missouri or wherever --- it's up to that state.

The 4

The 55-45 would be the senate make up if Braun wins.

Nor do I, neither of us live in Indiana so who cares. The point is that the OP got an accurate number but reversed the names on them.
I care, Pogo. Pardon me for being pecuniary, but taxes tend to go up with blue state elected politicians, and taxes tend to go down with red state elected politicians. It's just that simple for me, really, because I am at the mercy of a social security system that has my food money expropriated by high land and sales taxes where me and my husband (now dead) retired to.

I live in Indiana. We don't need to return to our conservative roots because we never left them. We have had very successful republican governors for a while now, including Mike Pence. Our budget and jobs are the envy of the area, and we are taking refugees from hapless Illinois. I believe Donnelly was able to convince people he was a moderate. That won't fly now, with the dems going bonkers and showing their full extremism. Being folksy and wearing plaid isn't going to work.

The last week of October is when we will see some accurate polling. Until then, the polls are just click bait.

Forum List

Back