Indiana makes it legal to shoot cops who illegally enter your home

Just yesterday, in Georgia, the police raided the wrong house when acting on a tip they believed valid when looking for the Auburn shooter. In Indiana, they could have been legally killed for doing that.

Very stupid.

As much as the anarchist side of me likes the idea of this, I'm certain that people will needlessly die because of it.

I agree, this will make cops who are doing stupid things more likely to kill innocent bystanders.

No, the opposite. If they know the homeowner can legally open fire they will make darn sure they have the right house, etc.
The law won't change much behavior before the fact. But it protects the homeowner from defending himself where he legitimately thought he was under attack.

Just yesterday, in Georgia, the police raided the wrong house when acting on a tip they believed valid when looking for the Auburn shooter. In Indiana, they could have been legally killed for doing that.

Very stupid.

Is it too hard to consult an actual lawyer for your opinion on the law?

As much as the anarchist side of me likes the idea of this, I'm certain that people will needlessly die because of it.

I agree, this will make cops who are doing stupid things more likely to kill innocent bystanders.

No, the opposite. If they know the homeowner can legally open fire they will make darn sure they have the right house, etc.
The law won't change much behavior before the fact. But it protects the homeowner from defending himself where he legitimately thought he was under attack.

Wanna bet?

Hard to believe we need laws to justify something that should be a natural right. Anyone breaks into your home - you have the right to shoot.

Refreshing News: Indiana passes law that will allow citizens to shoot police officers who illegally enter their homes

June 12, 2012

Indiana passes law that will allow citizens to shoot police officers who illegally enter their homes
Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

The first of its kind in the United States, the law was adopted after the state Supreme Court went too far in one of its rulings last year, according to supporters. The case in question involved a man who assaulted an officer during a domestic violence call. The court ruled that there was “no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers.”

The National Rifle Association lobbied for the new law, arguing that the court decision had legalized police to commit unjustified entries.

If they illegally enter your house, There not Acting like Cops, and should not have the Same Protections as one.

Wanna bet?

I think the law is meant more to Defend people from Dirty Cops. Who use their Badge to Commit Crimes. Somehow I think if the Cops simply have the Wrong address and come in, and the Home Owner Shoots them, That home owner wont be enjoying the Protection of this law. lol

Source? Cops all go through police academies, which have fairly intensive legals courses.

And a great many departments routinely adopt their own interpretations that blatantly violate people's rights, in hopes that they'll get the bust anyway and that you'll plead out, etc. I'll never forget the day the police told me that smoking a cigarette was sufficient grounds to pull you over, just to make sure it wasn't a joint.

Wanna bet?

Yup. Name it.

Very stupid.

Is it too hard to consult an actual lawyer for your opinion on the law?
Thank you for making no sense.

I told you to ask Jillian if mistakes on a warrant mean that the officer serving it is breaking the law. Apparently it is easier to ignore the possibility you might be wrong than ask.

Wanna bet?

I think the law is meant more to Defend people from Dirty Cops. Who use their Badge to Commit Crimes. Somehow I think if the Cops simply have the Wrong address and come in, and the Home Owner Shoots them, That home owner wont be enjoying the Protection of this law. lol

I think you are right.

Wanna bet?

Yup. Name it.

You might want to think about that.

While this seems at first blush to level the playing field, to give police a good reason to pause before engaging in unlawful conduct such as occurred in Barnes, it's never quite a fair fight. First, the police will still be the ones to initiate action, meaning they can do so, plan it, execute it, in a way that will invariably favor them and their safety at the expense of the citizen.

Second, the cops have weapons, and more of them, that you don't have. Whether tanks, drones or merely a few dozen automatic assault rifles, they are nothing if not well armed. What are the chances a guy, half asleep, is well-positioned to fend off a SWAT team? He may get one of two, but his chances of survival are slim to none. Once bullets start flying, the police aren't going to stop until someone goes down.

Third, the police officer who stops your car, whether you believe rightfully or wrongfully, is coming at you with a serious concern that might not take the stop with equanimity. He's going to have his hand on his gun, and he's going to be ready to use it. Reach for your registration and it's a furtive gesture. Boom. Don't expect the cop to hesitate, and don't expect the legal system to blame him for it.

If this law restores some degree of balance, appropriate concern without undue fear, then it may well accomplish its goal of telling the Government that it is not entitled to illegally storm a home simply because it can. Certainly the courts are incapable of stopping this from happening, as if the police had any concern about what a court might say. That something more was needed to remind the police that they don't own us is beyond question.

Yet, this may be a recipe for disaster. Not the disaster that Downs fears, but the disaster of cops shooting people first because they fear people exercising their lawful right to resist with force. As I'm not from Texas, I don't want to see anyone die. Not cop. Not citizen. No one.

Perhaps the tension this creates will make the police think hard about engaging in unlawful conduct, and potentially breaking the First Rule of Policing. Perhaps this will produce a blood bath, with the citizen invariably on the south side of a tank rolling north. The simple answer is for cops to stop engaging in unlawful conduct, but then, the police never seem to grasp why they aren't entitled to do whatever they please.

Simple Justice: A Recipe For Disaster

Those cops don't want to get shot, and they will do everything they can think of to get home at night.

Wanna bet?

Yup. Name it.

No wind is right. People still fall for the nigerion (sp) prince scam..people are stupid.

Wanna bet?

You're right.

The problem of course is that not everyone will understand that detail.

Here's a hypothetical.

Cops execute a no-knock warrant on the wrong house. The owner of the house heard about this law on the teevee, and starts shooting at the cops. The cops return fire.

People die.

While the law specifically doesn't allow this, that doesn't change the fact that both parties (the cops and the homeowner) believe themselves to be in the right.

That's what I mean by needless deaths.

Wanna bet?

You're right.

Here's a hypothetical.

Cops execute a no-knock warrant on the wrong house. The owner of the house heard about this law on the teevee, and starts shooting at the cops. The cops return fire.

People die.

While the law specifically doesn't allow this, that doesn't change the fact that both parties (the cops and the homeowner) believe themselves to be in the right.

Too many times innocent homeowners have been shot dead while the cops were breaking into the wrong house. Worse, one guy tried to defend himself and shot back, the cops failed to identify themselves. He went on trial for murder. Perhaps this law is to protect people like him?

Wanna bet?

You're right.

Here's a hypothetical.

People die.

Funny thing, the same thing happens even when cops serve no knock warrants on the right house. I think it makes more sense to get rid of no knock warrants than to let police get away with invading homes at whim, but I have always thought that rights are more important that state power.

Forum List

Back