Indiana lawsuit stimulates debate on Taser training

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
Suit filed by fired officer who declined shock draws divided reactions

Should a sheriff be able to reassign an officer to a different, less desirable position if the officer refuses to undergo a training exercise?

What if that training exercise required the officer to receive a shock from a Taser?

And what if that officer had a note from his doctor advising against it?

Those are among the provocative questions at the center of a lawsuit filed this week by Ray F. Robert against the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department.

And how those questions are answered depends greatly on whom is being asked.

Robert, who spoke with The Indianapolis Star on Wednesday, said he can't fathom being fired for basically taking his doctor's advice.

"I'd been in law enforcement for more than 31 years, and (when I was terminated), it felt like it was all for nothing," Robert, 54, said. "Just because I can't be Tased doesn't mean I can't do my job."

Indiana lawsuit stimulates debate on Taser training | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Taser = Torture? Why hasn't the BO administration weighed in on this, or have they?

why does this have anything to do with PRESIDENT Obama?

oh right... you just needed to be stupid.

ok...carry on.
You Loon. The BO admin is weighing in on torture. The whole country is talking about torture. The questions are legitimate. What part of the questions are "stupid"?

You just saw an opportunity to throw an insult and you took it. Why don't you try actually presenting a position on the questions?

ok...carry on.
You Loon. The BO admin is weighing in on torture. The whole country is talking about torture. The questions are legitimate. What part of the questions are "stupid"?

You just saw an opportunity to throw an insult and you took it. Why don't you try actually presenting a position on the questions?

Good grief. What a load of crap.

If the officer cannot endure the training or has a doctor's excuse or whatever, he is a washout. This has absolutely nothing to do with The Prophet and is not torture.

Where in the world do you get your ideas?

Another thing, if I were posing the questions just to provoke an argument, I'd have used some provocative title like most of you Loons do.

As an electrician, I can say without a doubt that purposefully zapping someone with that much voltage can easily be defined as torture. All it takes is that and weak heart and you have an instant corpse.

ok...carry on.

Good grief. What a load of crap.

If the officer cannot endure the training or has a doctor's excuse or whatever, he is a washout. This has absolutely nothing to do with The Prophet and is not torture.

Where in the world do you get your ideas?
BS. Tasering causes extreme pain and discomfort (and sometimes kills people). Isn’t that what the BO admin and the Loon brigade are so upset about?

What are you saying: Aa cop who feels his life is in eminent danger is different from a president who feels like his country in eminent danger?

Where do we draw the line in the sand?

As an electrician, I can say without a doubt that purposefully zapping someone with that much voltage can easily be defined as torture. All it takes is that and weak heart and you have an instant corpse.

He is still a washout and still needs the training and exposure to the Taser since he carries one.

Frankly some of the training I went through in the military could easily be classified as torture as the media is trying to define it these days. The purpose was 1) to prepare us for what might happen, 2) to train us for physical adversity, and 3) for us (at least officers were told this in my time) so in mock interrogation exercises that we would understand why there is reason to steer the troops away from extreme measures - when possible.

ok...carry on.

you calling anyone a loon is really funny. :cuckoo:

ok...carry on.

this is a local issue not a national issue. The Police Department here does the same thing, before you can use a taser you have to let them use it on you. The reason for this is so they know what it feels like and they will not be trigger happy when it comes to using it.
I don't think the guy should of got fired just not be able to use them which is the policy at most Police and Sheriff departments around here.

If they have a weak heart they shouldn't be a cop anyways. But I do think they need to limit the use of tasers and Cops should know when to stop shocking someone. They actually killed a man here with a taser and beating him.

They either need to be trained properly which includes be tased or not be able to use a taser. Where I live they had to change a few things because of death involving tasers.
"Take Spokane, Washington, where law enforcement beat, tasered, hog-tied and suffocated a disabled and innocent man, Otto Zehm, who later died. Spokane, Washington where suicidal Josh Levy was subject to 18 hours of police tactics prior to a botched tasering which prompted him to jump to his death from the Monroe Street Bridge."

Spokane taser « Spokane Police Abuses: Past to Present

And I also think they should fire half the Police Department around here. Maybe they were just looking for an excuse to get rid of this guy.

Forum List

Back