Indiana GOP Senator: Cutting Planned Parenthood Funding Will 'Increase Abortions'

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
There are some sane people left in the Republican party..

I was beginning to wonder.. :eusa_whistle:

While the anti-Planned Parenthood amendment passed 36 to 13, one Republican state senator — Sen. Vaneta Becker — actually noted an all-too-common hypocrisy in Republican anti-choice efforts:

Sen. Vaneta Becker, R-Evansville, said she didn’t understand why legislators would take a step of reducing women’s access to health service at [the same time] the state is cutting funding toward programs for mentally disabled children.

“If we are so concerned about pregnancy before children are born, why are we not as concerned after children are born?” Becker said.

In an interview with ThinkProgress this afternoon, Becker said that a lot of people share her view but are too intimidated by the political climate to voice their opposition. Noting the state and federal laws already banning abortion funding, she said the bill “is an attempt to politicize the issue.” In doing so, Republicans will deny thousands of Hoosier woman access to vital health services, she said. Indeed, Planned Parenthood of Indiana states that 85,000 low-income Hoosiers receive birth control, STD tests, Pap smears and breast exams at 28 health centers across the state. “In many areas that are rural, without these kind of services, women will be stripped of health care,” Becker added.

[...]

In her 24 years in the state house and five years in the Senate, Becker said she has never seen legislation that goes this far.

ThinkProgress » Indiana GOP Senator Slams Her Party For Cutting Planned Parenthood Funding: This

I agree with the Senator 100%. Can someone.. anyone.. explain how taking away funding from a group that provides birth control and many key health services to low-income women, will somehow lead to less abortions?..

Abortions are a very small part of what Planned Parenthood does. They also help prevent a large number of abortions, help stop the spread of STD's, give women breast exams and pap smears.. and the list goes on. Why do Republicans generally hate PP so much?

Last edited:
It's not my responsibility to provide women access to vital health services.

Planned Parenthood is a large enough organization that it does not need government funding.

If planned parenthood can't survive without government funding, it really isnt doing a good job.

While the anti-Planned Parenthood amendment passed 36 to 13, one Republican state senator — Sen. Vaneta Becker — actually noted an all-too-common hypocrisy in Republican anti-choice efforts:

Sen. Vaneta Becker, R-Evansville, said she didn’t understand why legislators would take a step of reducing women’s access to health service at [the same time] the state is cutting funding toward programs for mentally disabled children.

“If we are so concerned about pregnancy before children are born, why are we not as concerned after children are born?” Becker said.

In an interview with ThinkProgress this afternoon, Becker said that a lot of people share her view but are too intimidated by the political climate to voice their opposition. Noting the state and federal laws already banning abortion funding, she said the bill “is an attempt to politicize the issue.” In doing so, Republicans will deny thousands of Hoosier woman access to vital health services, she said. Indeed, Planned Parenthood of Indiana states that 85,000 low-income Hoosiers receive birth control, STD tests, Pap smears and breast exams at 28 health centers across the state. “In many areas that are rural, without these kind of services, women will be stripped of health care,” Becker added.

[...]

In her 24 years in the state house and five years in the Senate, Becker said she has never seen legislation that goes this far.

ThinkProgress » Indiana GOP Senator Slams Her Party For Cutting Planned Parenthood Funding: This

I agree with the Senator 100%. Can someone.. anyone.. explain how taking away funding from a group that provides birth contro and many key health services to low-income women, will somehow lead to less abortions?..

Abortions are a very small part of what Planned Parenthood does. They also help prevent a large number of abortions, help stop the spread of STD's, give women breast exams and pap smears.. and the list goes on. Why do Republicans generally hate PP so much?
The Republican will PAY for their nonsense come 2012.

They will, once again, have a very short-lived "victory."

They just can't help themselves.

They are DRIVEN by radical ideology, not facts, logic or reality.

*SMH*

[...]

I agree with the Senator 100%. Can someone.. anyone.. explain how taking away funding from a group that provides birth contro and many key health services to low-income women, will somehow lead to less abortions?..

Its a division of interest under one tent. Many Cons don't give a crap about abortion but they have the SoCons bitching in their ear constantly about this.

You can't reason with them because there is no middle ground for fanatics = if they aid in ANY abortions, they are responsible for ALL abortions. So they have to put this tired old nag of an issue in the starting line up or the bake sale types won't come to the game.

You know, there is an simple solution to end abortion in the United States complete. If people stop having premarital & extramarital sex, then there won't be any need for abortion will there?

Simple.

It would eliminate all STDs within a generation as well.

Shame so many people think they are not subject to the natural laws of the world.

You know, there is an simple solution to end abortion in the United States complete. If people stop having premarital & extramarital sex, then there won't be any need for abortion will there?

Simple.

Shame so many people think they are not subject to the natural laws of the world.

And if people stop taking healthy shits in the morning we could save millions in sewage and sanitation costs! :eek:

Simple.

And if people stop taking healthy shits in the morning we could save millions in sewage and sanitation costs! :eek:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. And i've read rdean and TM posts.

Simple.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. And i've read rdean and TM posts.

Try the Book of Mormon, it will blow your mind :razz:

Humans have been having premarital and extra marital sex for hundreds of thousands of years. And you think that we should all suddenly stop now, because you don't want Planned Parenthood to receive tax money? What a stooge!! Good luck with that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's not my responsibility to provide women access to vital health services.

Planned Parenthood is a large enough organization that it does not need government funding.

So how should women access these vital services?

And no, Planned Parenthood may stay afloat, but they would have to close down many centers if they lost govt. funding.

In the end, PP is basically a social investment. It prevents unwanted pregnancies, helps stop the spread of STD's, and helps overall improve and diagnose the health of women.

You're bascially saying you support ending support for a program that does so much good.. solely because your selfish self doesn't think you should help other people?

Conservative logic:
More STD's and unwanted children = good thing.. if it teaches them sorry low-income women to fend for themselves!

To Avatars point: You really think you're gonna stop people from having pre-marital sex? Good luck, superman.

Simple.

implied-facepalm.jpg

The solution is simple. didn't say it was easy.

Shame people want to think they can ignore the rules of nature without any consequence. It would save us alot of money otherwise.

Indiana GOP Senator: Cutting Planned Parenthood Funding Will 'Increase Abortions'

If Americans are going to be forced to pay for women's health care, just give it to a non-profit company that doesn't perform abortions. Problem solved.

:eusa_eh:

That's what they're basically doing..

Only 3% of what PP does is related to abortion (regardless of what Sen. Kyl wants you to believe).. and none of that recieves govt. funding.

:thup:.. truth.

Simple.

:eusa_eh:

Or we can end religion and out dated thinking like yours will eventually die out.

Shame people want to think they can ignore the rules of nature without any consequence. It would save us alot of money otherwise.

Rules of nature? I think you're confusing the bible with nature. Big mistake.

I have to disagree with Senator Becker.

Planned Parenthood is not going to "go away" simply because the government quits babying them. They will survive on their own. They just won't be able to do it on the taxpayer dollar and they should not be able to in the first place.

If Planned Parenthood believes in birth control by means other than abortion, then if and when the tax dollars are no longer funneled into their coffers, they will maintain the programs they have going now. I wonder which programs will suffer the most if this happens... If I were a betting man, I would bet it won't be abortions.

Immie

Avatar you're the one ignoring the basic rules of nature. Our nature as a species tells us we really wanna get laid, married or not.

There's nothing immoral about getting down without being married. Marriage is a silly thing invented by society to me, I can make a commitment to someone just the same as whether or not I have a ceremony on a particular day or is recognized by a government.

So how should women access these vital services?

Is that a serious question?

And no, Planned Parenthood may stay afloat, but they would have to close down many centers if they lost govt. funding.

So?

In the end, PP is basically a social investment. It prevents unwanted pregnancies, helps stop the spread of STD's, and helps overall improve and diagnose the health of women.

So does basic self accountability and responsibility

You're bascially saying you support ending support for a program that does so much good..

I'm saying I support ending government support for a program that, in your opinion, does so much good. There are plenty of people who don't agree with your assessment.

solely because your selfish self doesn't think you should help other people?

I'm sorry, have we met? I'm assuming you would have to know me in order to make an accusation like that, otherwise you'd be a liar. You're not a liar, are you?

Conservative logic: More STD's and unwanted children = good thing.. if it teaches them sorry low-income women to fend for themselves!

I've known many conservatives. I've never heard any of them espouse that. What insight are you privy to that I'm not?

To Avatars point: You really think you're gonna stop people from having pre-marital sex? Good luck, superman.

Of course not, but that doesn't change the fact that it is immoral and unethical to force people to pay for the irresponsibility of others.

Forum List

Back