Indian Companies Invest Billions, Create Thousands of Jobs in the U.S

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Thank you India! Your investment is welcome here.

---

As India attempts to thaw its business environment and attract the interest of foreign companies, a hundred Indian firms have together made investments worth more than $15 billion in America, according to the findings of a new survey by the Confederation of Indian Industries and audit firm Grant Thornton International Ltd.

The findings, which were released in a report titled “Indian Roots, American Soil” on Tuesday, suggest that Indian companies in the U.S., most operating in the information-technology sector, have created thousands of jobs there and show a growing interest in hiring more American workers in the next few years.

Indian outsourcing companies in the U.S. have in recent months been criticized for depending too much on foreign staff — H1-B visa holders – instead of hiring locals.

The 100 Indian companies surveyed are spread across all 50 U.S. states, the report said. Here are the main numbers from the report.

Indian Companies Invest Billions Create Thousands of Jobs in the U.S. The Numbers - WSJ

Indian automaker outsources to Detroit

In an interesting twist, when Mahindra & Mahindra wanted to expand its global vehicle development capabilities, it recognized there was insufficient talent in India. Executives looked at creating a technical center in Germany, Italy, England and California, among other locations, before deciding Detroit was the true epicenter for automotive development and testing, said Richard Haas, CEO of the Mahindra North American Technical Center, now located in Troy.

"Most companies locate R&D in India. We're doing the opposite by putting it in the U.S." said Richard Ansell, vice president of marketing at the Mahindra North American Technical Center.

Mahindra started as a steel trading company in 1945 and branched out into carmaking with a license to make Willys Jeeps for the India market. Mahindra still makes the Jeeps sold in India as the Thar. The SUV has not changed much from the original Jeep, with a diesel engine, manual transmission and choice of two- or four-wheel drive.

Mahindra's expertise is in rugged utility vehicles. The best-known model is the Scorpio, which became the SUV of choice on India's bad roads. The lineup also includes pickups, commercial vehicles and a growing number of car models.The flagship is the XUV 500, which was introduced in 2011 on the company's first global platform that is expected to yield at least three more vehicles.

The engineers are working on future vehicles, making their own parts and prototypes and validating them. They are developing the next generation of an existing Indian vehicle on a new platform, with visits from the 21-member launch team in India as the work progresses.

The U.S. crew is also working on another platform for five new vehicles and evaluating opportunities in North and South America as well as Europe and Asia, Haas said.

Labor costs are higher in the U.S. than India but cost per square foot of a facility is much more affordable, he said. And the expertise means products can be developed and tested faster.

Indian automaker outsources to Detroit

Last edited:

---

As India attempts to thaw its business environment and attract the interest of foreign companies, a hundred Indian firms have together made investments worth more than $15 billion in America, according to the findings of a new survey by the Confederation of Indian Industries and audit firm Grant Thornton International Ltd.

The findings, which were released in a report titled “Indian Roots, American Soil” on Tuesday, suggest that Indian companies in the U.S., most operating in the information-technology sector, have created thousands of jobs there and show a growing interest in hiring more American workers in the next few years.

Indian outsourcing companies in the U.S. have in recent months been criticized for depending too much on foreign staff — H1-B visa holders – instead of hiring locals.

The 100 Indian companies surveyed are spread across all 50 U.S. states, the report said. Here are the main numbers from the report.

Indian Companies Invest Billions Create Thousands of Jobs in the U.S. The Numbers - WSJ

And they bring in workers from india.

---

Apparently, you do not know how to read or else you would have read the article and realized that Mohindra is investing in U.S talents (engineers). They already have plenty of Indian engineers in India. If you had read the article, you would have also known that Mohindra does not sell cars or SUVs in the U.S. so it does not benefit from the U.S. market. On the contrary the investment is coming from India into the U.S. primarily benefiting U.S. economy.

---

Apparently, you do not know how to read or else you would have read the article and realized that Mohindra is investing in U.S talents (engineers). They already have plenty of Indian engineers in India. If you had read the article, you would have also known that Mohindra does not sell cars or SUVs in the U.S. so it does not benefit from the U.S. market. On the contrary the investment is coming from India into the U.S. primarily benefiting U.S. economy.

Dont care what the article says.
I've seen it with my own eyes several times.

---

Are you really that dense?

Let me bullet-point it for your simple brain:

a. Mohindra does not sell cars and SUVs in the U.S. This means it does not benefit from the U.S. market.

b. Mohindra already has plenty of Indian engineers. It wants to add American talents to its profile. That is why it opened up the R&D center in Detroit to recruit American engineers.

c. Money is coming from Indian market into the U.S. market.

---

a. Mohindra does not sell cars and SUVs in the U.S. This means it does not benefit from the U.S. market.
b. They already have plenty of Indian engineers. They want to add American talents. That is why they opened up the R&D center in Detroit to recruit American engineers.

Meh...like I said. Dont care about the article.
Indians are coming here in droves and opening businesses and bringing over indians with government approval.

---

b. They already have plenty of Indian engineers. They want to add American talents. That is why they opened up the R&D center in Detroit to recruit American engineers.

Indians are coming here in droves and opening businesses and bringing over indians with government approval.

If you are hell bent on displaying inadequacy of your thought process then no one can stop you albeit it is unfortunate outcome for any given individual and you are no exception. What other Indian businesses do has no bearing on what this particular Indian business (Mohindra) does which is the topic of the article. Let me give you an example: there are quite a few businesses owned by Jewish people that engage in unsavory activities. Does this mean all Jewish owned businesses should be banned from operating in the U.S.?

Last edited:

If you are hell bent on displaying inadequacy of your thought process then no one can stop you albeit it is unfortunate outcome for any given individual and you are no exception. What other Indian businesses do has no bearing on what this particular Indian business (Mohindra) does which is the topic of this thread. Let me give you an example: there are quite a few businesses owned by Jewish people that engage in unsavory activities. Does this mean all Jewish owned businesses should be banned from operating in the U.S.?

Where did I mention banning anyone?
Just an observation. No need to get excited there little guy..:itsok:

If you are hell bent on displaying inadequacy of your thought process then no one can stop you albeit it is unfortunate outcome for any given individual and you are no exception. What other Indian businesses do has no bearing on what this particular Indian business (Mohindra) does which is the topic of this thread. Let me give you an example: there are quite a few businesses owned by Jewish people that engage in unsavory activities. Does this mean all Jewish owned businesses should be banned from operating in the U.S.?

I was just giving an example, big fat guy :)

Back to the topic: Why are you against American engineers getting jobs and working? Would you rather them collect welfare?

Back to the topic: Why are you against American engineers getting jobs and working? Would you rather them collect welfare?

I'm all for it,just telling the other side.

There is no other side. There is only one side and that is you are opposing investment into America.

There is no other side. There is only one side and that is you are opposing investment into America.

Nah...i'm just opposing the ones that come here and open a business and bring in workers from the homeland.
You see it all the time.

Nah...i'm just opposing the ones that come here and open a business and bring in workers from the homeland.
You see it all the time.

You see what you want to see. That is the ugliness of a partial mind. However, an objective look at the issue suggests that there are rules and regulations in place regarding foreign workers immigrating to the U.S. under H1-B. This applies to all nationalities. There is no way Indian companies can bring in whoever they want to from India. As far as US Citizens and Permanent Residents of Indian origin are concerned, I do not see why they cannot be hired for the roles they are qualified for by either Indian companies or American companies.

WASHINGTON: India increased its exposure to US government securities by USD 31 billion in the first five months of the year, taking the overall holdings to USD 114 billion in May.

This is also the highest level of holding by India in more than a year.

Latest data from the US Treasury Department shows that China continued to have the maximum exposure to American government securities with May holdings touching USD 1.27 trillion.

In May, India's holding climbed to USD 114 billion from USD 110.3 billion in April. The total exposure has surged by 31 billion in the first five months of 2015.

Last December, the holding stood at just USD 83 billion, according to the data.

Since May last year, the country has been steadily raising its exposure to the American government securities.

Interestingly, the US economy has been sluggish in recent months and its GDP contracted for the 2015 March quarter.

"The decrease in real GDP in the first quarter primarily reflected negative contributions from exports, nonresidential fixed investment, and state and local government spending that were partly offset by positive contributions from personal consumption expenditures, private inventory investment, and residential fixed investment," the US Bureau of Economic Analysis had said last month.

Meanwhile, Japan had the second highest exposure to American government securities with holdings worth USD 1.21 trillion in May.

Among the other BRIC nations, Brazil's holdings stood at USD 258.5 billion while that of Russia touched USD 70.6 billion during the period.

India s holding of US government bonds touch 114 billion in May - The Economic Times

Forum List

Back