India, Nepal sign US$1 billion hydropower deal

irosie91,

I forgot to add this.

Hindus and Buddhists do not have any conflicts. They are very similar religions. I grew up a Hindu but adopted Buddhist faith during later phase in my life. Both of them are inclusive religions so I do not have any compatibility issues.

Bhai, are you sure you're fully aware of the history of Hindu-Buddhist relations?

There were a few Hindu kings were dedicated to destroying Buddhism in ancient India. Pusyamitra Sunga, Shashanka, and Mihirakula being some notable names who destroyed tens of thousands of stupas and massacred an equal number of monks and boddhisatvas, not to mention Rajendra Chola's invasion of Sri Lanka in which Buddhism was destroyed throughout the north to propagate Shaivism. Even today, the relations between Buddhists and Hindus in Sri Lanka is a problem, albeit an ethnic conflict.

Brahmins have always worked to undermine the sovereign identity of Buddhism. The whole "Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu" rhetoric is nonsense manufactured by the Brahmins to assimilate Buddhism into the Hindu fold. Adi Sankara was an intellectual, manipulative criminal and his faithful followers are the reason for Buddhism's gradual decline in India. According to the accounts of Chinese travelers in ancient India, Buddhism was the dominant religion in the land before the Hindu revivalist movements founded by Adi Sankara.

I do not live too much in past. Past is past. I personally do not see too much friction between Buddhists and Hindus. There is a lot of support for Buddhists among Hindus and vice versa. This is pretty evident when you travel through Himachal Pradesh where large number of Buddhist refugees from Tibet live.

As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, that conflict is mainly between hardliner Christian Tamils and Singhlas of all faiths.

Most Tamils are Hindu though, and proportionately most LTTE members were as well.

You're right, there isn't much friction nowadays. Hell, the contemporary relations between Hindus and Buddhists are more favorable than Christians and Jews I'd say. But again, that is only because Hindus believe that Buddha was a reincarnation of Vishnu hence Buddhism can be reconciled within Hindu teachings.

I was born and raised a Hindu. I have never heard anyone make that claim that Buddha was a reincarnation of Vishnu. There may be some people who believe that. I am not denying that. Keep in mind both Hindu and Buddhist faith are very different from organized religions like Christianity or Islam. So individual Hindus or Buddhists have individual beliefs.

As far as LTTE is concerned, even though it had good number of Hindu members, its leadership was Christian. It's funding also mainly came from questionable Christian organizations and Tamil expatriates.

irosie91,

I forgot to add this.

Hindus and Buddhists do not have any conflicts. They are very similar religions. I grew up a Hindu but adopted Buddhist faith during later phase in my life. Both of them are inclusive religions so I do not have any compatibility issues.

Bhai, are you sure you're fully aware of the history of Hindu-Buddhist relations?

There were a few Hindu kings were dedicated to destroying Buddhism in ancient India. Pusyamitra Sunga, Shashanka, and Mihirakula being some notable names who destroyed tens of thousands of stupas and massacred an equal number of monks and boddhisatvas, not to mention Rajendra Chola's invasion of Sri Lanka in which Buddhism was destroyed throughout the north to propagate Shaivism. Even today, the relations between Buddhists and Hindus in Sri Lanka is a problem, albeit an ethnic conflict.

Brahmins have always worked to undermine the sovereign identity of Buddhism. The whole "Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu" rhetoric is nonsense manufactured by the Brahmins to assimilate Buddhism into the Hindu fold. Adi Sankara was an intellectual, manipulative criminal and his faithful followers are the reason for Buddhism's gradual decline in India. According to the accounts of Chinese travelers in ancient India, Buddhism was the dominant religion in the land before the Hindu revivalist movements founded by Adi Sankara.

I do not live too much in past. Past is past. I personally do not see too much friction between Buddhists and Hindus. There is a lot of support for Buddhists among Hindus and vice versa. This is pretty evident when you travel through Himachal Pradesh where large number of Buddhist refugees from Tibet live.

As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, that conflict is mainly between hardliner Christian Tamils and Sinhala of all faiths.

oh? not what tamils I have known have told me----tamils from
India-----gee---I will always be confused

irosie91,

I forgot to add this.

As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, that conflict is mainly between hardliner Christian Tamils and Sinhala of all faiths.

oh? not what tamils I have known have told me----tamils from
India-----gee---I will always be confused

Both India and Sri Lanka have Tamil population.

irosie91,

I forgot to add this.

As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, that conflict is mainly between hardliner Christian Tamils and Singhlas of all faiths.

Most Tamils are Hindu though, and proportionately most LTTE members were as well.

You're right, there isn't much friction nowadays. Hell, the contemporary relations between Hindus and Buddhists are more favorable than Christians and Jews I'd say. But again, that is only because Hindus believe that Buddha was a reincarnation of Vishnu hence Buddhism can be reconciled within Hindu teachings.

I was born and raised a Hindu. I have never heard anyone make that claim that Buddha was a reincarnation of Vishnu. There may be some people who believe that. I am not denying that. Keep in mind both Hindu and Buddhist faith are very different from organized religions like Christianity or Islam. So individual Hindus or Buddhists have individual beliefs.

As far as LTTE is concerned, even though it had good number of Hindu members, its leadership was Christian. It's funding also mainly came from questionable Christian organizations and Tamil expatriates.

Seriously? That's strange, I have to say.
Gautama Buddha in Hinduism - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

It is considered a standard and integral part of Hindu beliefs. Every learned Hindu, including my own mom, has parroted this nonsensical belief in Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu due to generations of misinformation spread within the Hindu community.

LTTE receive funding from Christian organizations? News to me. I agree that most of their leaders were Christians, though.

irosie91,

I forgot to add this.

Seriously? That's strange, I have to say.
Gautama Buddha in Hinduism - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

It is considered a standard and integral part of Hindu beliefs. Every learned Hindu, including my own mom, has parroted this nonsensical belief in Buddha as an avatar of Vishnu due to generations of misinformation spread within the Hindu community.

LTTE receive funding from Christian organizations? News to me. I agree that most of their leaders were Christians, though.

I learned about Hindu faith by being born in a Hindu family and listening to other Hindus. I did not learn about it from WikiPedia. Let me repeat it again. I have never heard any Hindu say that Buddha was a reincarnation of Vishnu.

LTTE received lots of financial support from Pentecostal church.In other words, it was a pure and simple Christian operation, although there were lots of idiotic Hindu Tamils who joined it.

Within just six months at the helm, Prime Minister Narendra Modi injected over $3 billion of investments into Nepal, a possible gamechanger in Nepal-India relations that may entirely change the economic landscape of the Himalayan nation.
The two sides recently reached three agreements - two in the energy sector and one on country's line of credit - and another landmark power trade agreement. Tapping Nepal's hydropower resources is a major focus in the deals signed.
Mired by decades-long armed conflict that totally devastated Nepal's economy, the size of which is a mere $62.384 billion, the Himalayan nation needs huge investments in infrastructure development, fighting poverty alleviation and illiteracy and food security.
The latest Indian initiative under Modi started with the signing of the project development agreement on September 19 of the 900 MW Upper Karnali hydropower project in west Nepal between Investment Board Nepal and country's GMR-ITD Consortium.
The second and third were country's soft loans of $1 billion for various Nepali infrastructure projects and the project development agreement of Arun III between the Investment Board Nepal and Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam of India on the sidelines of the 18th SAARC summit in Katmandu last week.
Both Upper Karnali and Arun III will have a generation capacity of 900 MW each and the projects will cost over $2.4 billion at present market rate. This is probably the biggest investment coming in Nepal within a short span of time from one country.
This has also rekindled hopes that the much touted and ambitious Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project, which was initially signed some 17 years ago between Nepal and India, is all set to take off.
The 6,720-MW project will cost over $6 billion and the two sides are ready to set up the Pancheshwar Development Authority within a couple of months.
While inaugurating the India-funded trauma centre in Kathmandu November 25, the country's prime minister thanked the prime minister of Nepal, the political parties and officers of Nepal for removing obstacles and speeding up work which had been held up for the last 25 to 30 years. He said he felty satisfied because "a happy Nepal gives India a reason to smile".
Nepal and India have been discussing building the Upper Karnali project for 30 years and Arun III for six years.
"It is only possible due to the charismatic leadership of Modi," Chirinjivi Nepal, economic advisor to Nepal Prime Minister Sushil Koirala, told IANS.
With the signing of the power trade agreement with India and two project development agreements with GMR and Satluj, many foreign investors are keen to invest in Nepal's hydropower sector, the obvious market of which is India, said Nepal.
The wavelength between Modi and Koirala also played a very crucial role to move ahead, he said.
Apart from these projects, several other pending projects between Nepal and India are moving ahead, giving bilateral relations a fresh impetus.
There have been positive reactions from civil society, political fraternity and media since Modi started taking a "lead neighbourhood first" in his foreign policy mantra.
A recent editorial in The Kathmandu Post stated: "The August (2014) visit, the first by an Indian prime minister in 17 years, proved effective in getting rid of the resentments that had accumulated over the last decade, and in establishing a foundation for greater economic cooperation. Modi is expected to take up where he left off last time."
But, the daily stated, the question was whether the hardcore anti-India nationalism prevailing in some political classes in Nepal would let these projects go ahead because the hardliner Maoist faction has been upping the ante against the Upper Karnali and Arun III.
"There is no chance to look back. We are waiting for more good from India. Regression is over," Nepal said.

India s 3-billion investment might be gamechanger for Nepal - Business Today

BEIJING: In what appears to be a straight competition for influence with India, China has increased its official aid to Nepal by more than five times. China has also promised to build electricity infrastructure in Nepal worth $1.6 billion to counter an Indian offer of soft loan for the power sector.

Chinese aid to the Himalayan nation will rise from the present level of $24 million to $128 million in 2015-16. The announcement came after talks between Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi and his Nepali counterpart Mahendra Bahadur Pandey in Kathmandu on Friday.

Besides, Beijing is building a police academy for Nepal as a special gift. This is probably because Nepalese police help control the flow of Tibetan refugees trying to enter India through Nepal.

China raises Nepal aid 5-fold to compete with India - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: India has rushed a team of Air Force officials along with a recovery kit by a C-130J Super Hercules aircraft to Kathmandu, to help in operations to clear the runway after a Turkish plane skidded off the runway on Wednesday.

The C-130J ferried 11 personnel of Air India and the recovery kit to Kathmandu airport where the usable runway length has been reduced to only about 5000 ft, making it impossible for any commercial aircraft to land.

The C-130J was chosen as it has the capability to land on restricted surfaces, IAF officials said.

Air Crash in Nepal India Sends Team to Help

KATHMANDU
6 Mar 2015
Nepal's only international airport will remain closed at least till 10 am on Saturday even as the Indian rescue mission tried to remove the Turkish jet that skidded off the surface on Wednesday morning, blocking the runway and stranding thousands of passengers.
The Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) has extended the shutdown of international flight operations till tomorrow, Ratish Chandra Lal Suman, Director General at Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) said.
"Flight operations won't resume until 10 am on Saturday as the efforts to move the plane from the current position is in progress and like to take more time," he added.
Indian Air Force on Thursday sent 11 technical experts and a C-130J Super Hercules transport plane with an aircraft removal kit following requests by the Nepalese government to remove the Turkish Airliner Airbus A-330, for resumption of international flights in and out of the country's capital.
The Indian technical team has lifted the front portion of Turkish Airliner with the help of lifting airbag, TIA Chief Birendra Prasad Shrestha said, adding, all front wheels of the plane will be changed on Friday.
The grassy land in between the runways broken up by the aircraft has been smoothened with gravel and sand, Shrestha was quoted as saying by Ekantipur.
The Indian team of technicians is expected to complete the clearance work by tomorrow morning, he added.
Nepal's only international airport had remained shut since Wednesday morning when the Turkish Airliner - with 224 passengers and 11 crew members onboard - skidded off the runway and part of the wing of the plane fell on the runway, blocking movement of other aircraft.
All the passengers were unhurt, but there was some damage to the front of the Airbus 330.
Thousands of passengers and tourists remained stranded at the TIA as flights were cancelled for the third consecutive day, affecting the upcoming tourist season, one of the main source of forex for the Himalayan nation.
Nepal's high altitude and tricky runways that often suffer from foggy conditions and poor visibility pose a challenge to even the most accomplished of pilots and had been blamed for a string of aircraft crashes in the past.
The European Union had banned all Nepal-based airlines in December 2013 from flying to the 28-nation bloc, citing poor safety standards followed by the airlines in Nepal. PTI

KATHMANDU Nepal s airport to remain closed till today The Echo of India

I wonder how the Chinese feel about it

Do you think China will not like India helping Nepal cope with a crisis?

DUH!!!!!!

You got my brain cranking, woman.

it is good for a brain to ......CRANK

Brain is what makes us strong.

have you ever seen a brain it its natural state?-----it is a mushy
thing-------no muscle at all. ----can't lift a feather. -----a pile of mush----just
blow on it and you knock out high school. In order to examine it-----it must be
MARINATED to firm it up. not cranked-----marinated.

Do you think China will not like India helping Nepal cope with a crisis?

DUH!!!!!!

You got my brain cranking, woman.

it is good for a brain to ......CRANK

Brain is what makes us strong.

have you ever seen a brain it its natural state?-----it is a mushy
thing-------no muscle at all. ----can't lift a feather. -----a pile of mush----just
blow on it and you knock out high school. In order to examine it-----it must be
MARINATED to firm it up. not cranked-----marinated.

It is amazing something so fragile can control so much that goes around us. I was going to ask you, how did you learn all that about brain but then I remembered you worked in a hospital.

Here is a picture of the crash:

airplane.jpg

India sends help for moving Turkish Airliner that skid off Nepal runway The Indian Express

After water, it is time for oil :)

---

India, Nepal set to sign agreement for oil pipeline

KATHMANDU: India and Nepal are set to sign an agreement for the construction of the much-touted cross border oil pipeline for supplying petroleum products to the land- locked Himalayan country, India's Ambassador to Nepal Ranjit Rae said here today.

Addressing an interaction programme organised by Reporters Club Nepal to mark the 69th Independence Day of India, Rae said that if the two countries work together and exploit the natural resources at their disposal, economic prosperity an ..

Read more at:
India Nepal set to sign agreement for oil pipeline Ranjit Rae - The Economic Times

Forum List

Back