India gives $1.4 billion aid to Maldives

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Thank you India! Hopefully, this will keep Maldives safe from China.

---

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India will give financial assistance of $1.4 billion to the Maldives, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Monday, the biggest aid yet to the Indian Ocean island nation that is grappling with debt from a Chinese building spree.

Modi made the announcement after talks with Maldives’ new president, Mohamed Ibrahim Solih, who defeated the pro-China strongman Abdulla Yameen in a surprise election result in October and is trying to reset ties with India.

During a five-year construction boom in the Maldives, China built a sea bridge connecting the capital, Male, to the main airport and is developing the airport itself, as well as building housing on land reclaimed from the sea.

India's Modi gives $1.4 billion aid to Maldives amid worry over its China debt | Reuters

To be seen what conditions India imposes on its 'aid'.

Modi said India stood ready to help the Maldives as a close friend and neighbor.

“For Maldives’ social and economic development we are providing a financial assistance of $1.4 billion in the form of budgetary support, currency swap agreements and concessional lines of credit,” he said during a brief media appearance with Solih.

Often local politicians cannot resist slushy piles of construction money.

Modi said India stood ready to help the Maldives as a close friend and neighbor.

“For Maldives’ social and economic development we are providing a financial assistance of $1.4 billion in the form of budgetary support, currency swap agreements and concessional lines of credit,” he said during a brief media appearance with Solih.

sheeeeesh India selling its soul--------a deal maker (how trumpish)

I thought global warming sunk the Maldives? Dafuq?!

972748e0-05f8-47f7-bc56-f9576a8c4172-2060x1236.jpeg

Sounds like the Maldives did pretty well by China. What seems to be the problem?
How is undertaking unserviceable debt doing well?
Corrupt officials entered into debt to China, that is difficult for the country to service, no doubt in order to skim off the top.

sheeeeesh India selling its soul--------a deal maker (how trumpish)

Soul is an abstract. My hat is off to anyone who can get any monetary value in exchange for a soul.

PS Maldives is a shariah shit hole

From Wiki = Islam is the official religion of the Maldives and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution. Article 2 of the revised constitution says that the republic "is based on the principles of Islam". Article nine says that "a non-Muslim may not become a citizen"; article ten says that "no law contrary to any principle of Islam can be applied". Article nineteen states that "citizens are free to participate in or carry out any activity that is not expressly prohibited by sharia [Islamic law] or by the law".

I guess India is stepping to try to keep China from expanding its presence in the area.

From Wiki = Islam is the official religion of the Maldives and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution. Article 2 of the revised constitution says that the republic "is based on the principles of Islam". Article nine says that "a non-Muslim may not become a citizen"; article ten says that "no law contrary to any principle of Islam can be applied". Article nineteen states that "citizens are free to participate in or carry out any activity that is not expressly prohibited by sharia [Islamic law] or by the law".

I guess India is stepping to try to keep China from expanding its presence in the area.

I don't know what the long term effects will be----but Maldives
has ---quite recently---(I thing something like 20 years ago)---
created this MODERN SHARIAH SHIT-PIT idea----which can
be a PRECEDENT. France could solve its creeping
islamization problem by declaring France a CATHOLIC
state------with provisions re CANON law correlated to the
MALDIVES model

MALDIVES model

France already is a Catholic state. As a matter of fact, most European countries are officially Christian countries which means tax money is spent on Christian affairs.

MALDIVES model

France already is a Catholic state. As a matter of fact, most European countries are officially Christian countries which means tax money is spent on Christian affairs.

really? "MOST" European countries have an official state religion? ----- Sheeeesh I am not even sure that France does. England does. -------now I have to google------damn....

Forum List

Back